Oil Seeping From Stopper

I needed some oil to cut a batch of painful gear I am currently using. I had a vial, a filter, and some veggie oil just lying around, so instead of buying oil I decided to make my own. I have done this before.

Anyway, I seem to have moved the needle around in the stopper a bit too much. The oil is seeping from the stopper when turned upside down, not a great deal though, just enough for me to be somewhat concerned. I figured if the oil could seep out, something else might be able to seep in. Any thoughts? I sure would hate to chuck it, but I sure would hate to get an infection.

Where do you store this? Something wierd seeping in is very unlikely. Exactly how much oil seeps out anyway when you turn it upside down? Does it drip or barely leak. That sounds like an inferior stopper too. I would not chuck it based on the info you provided above

[quote]sapasion wrote:
Where do you store this? Something wierd seeping in is very unlikely. Exactly how much oil seeps out anyway when you turn it upside down? Does it drip or barely leak. That sounds like an inferior stopper too. I would not chuck it based on the info you provided above[/quote]

Ditto.

I see that you have two choices.

1. Do nothing, you’re probably okay.

2. Draw out solution, refilter into a new sterile vial, bake it for 20 minutes, and know that you are okay.

#1 is probably true. #2 is for the anal folks who don’t want to lose an appendage. Or at least the folks who don’t want to worry after each injection.

I had oil leak out of one of my vials. I did #1 and was fine. Problem with mine was I was shooting too much air into the vial for ease in drawing. This caused a buildup of pressure iside the vial, then the vial ended up tipping over in storage at one point and a good bit leaked out through the injection hole (I don’t know how much, .25mls?). My solution: don’t put so much air into the vial every time and don’t let them fall over in storage. Pretty simple. You’re probably fine.

I’ve also heard you can zap that vial in the microwave for 20 seconds. Like 5.0 said, if you’re anal…

Also, what gauge are you drawing with? If it’s an 18, stop.

I checked the stopper this morning and the seeping has stopped. I guess the rubber has had time to bounce back from the deformation caused by having the needle inserted for a long period of time.

I wasn’t necessarily worried about something getting in while stored, but because when I noticed the seepage I kept touching the top of the stopper. I was concerned about bacteria from my finger getting inside.

Anyway, I have OCD, and I am sure I am just over obsessing about this like I do most things concerning my health. I am going to keep it and not worry about it. Thanks guys

Wait, how long was the needle stuck in the stopper? And why were you rubbing your finger all over the oil?