Oil: Olive, Canola, Vegetable?

So how many of you use olive, cannola or vegetable oil? How do you take it? Straight from the bottle, in your shake? How much do you take in a day? What are the differences between the different kind of oils as health and effectiveness goes? What kind do you use?

Thoughts, ideas?

Olive is mostly monounsaturated fat while cannola & vegetable provide mostly omega 6 you don’t need more of those, i get my fat from wallnuts, omega 3 PB, fish, and i usually throw a tbsp or two, of extra virgin olive oil in a protien drink, or just spoon it Yuck!! I used to use a lot of oils years ago Safflower oil, i find it easier using nuts always keep them refrigerated.

“What are the differences between the different kind of oils as health and effectiveness goes?”

Have you ever read any of the dozens of articles on here about fats?

Coconut oil.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
“What are the differences between the different kind of oils as health and effectiveness goes?”

Have you ever read any of the dozens of articles on here about fats? [/quote]

It blows my mind how many people jump on here, bypass all of the great articles which authors have put countless hours of writing and research into, and just post any and every question they have.

I think you should only be able to post on T-Nation after you’ve had your account for 14 days, that way people would READ FIRST, and see the insanely high level of content on this site.

OP, use the search function, and read as much as you can. Your mind and body will thank you for it, and so will the older members on these forums.

You don’t even need to use a site like this for Nutrition 101 questions. In the time it took to type that question onto a forum the OP could have typed those words into google and be on his way learning a thing or two about nutrition.

I’ll start the spoon feeding. Please don’t start drinking vegetable oil

I drink Synthol oil, it’s actually the quickest path to swolesville from what I hear.

I generally cook with coconut oil as well, but if I use olive oil for cooking, it is generally only 1-2 tsp.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
Coconut oil.[/quote]

x2. Not just for cooking either! Versatile stuff.

Well thank you for the serious answers at least. And yes I have searched; although t-nations search feature is less then effective. Also I was looking more towards personal preferences and such, I should’ve phrased my question better.

[quote]bradden wrote:
And yes I have searched; although t-nations search feature is less then effective.[/quote]

Wrong, you just didn’t want to take the time. Don’t be lazy.

On the Googling recommendation: In this case this would yield various awful answers from MD’s and PhD’s that would sound good but aren’t.

As Mr Black was saying, the modern diet tends to yield too much linoleic acid from vegetable oils.

Corn oil, peanut oil, and sunflower oil are particularly severe offenders.

You would have to eat a truly vast and completely impractical amount of corn to get the amount of corn oil into your system that agribusiness can accomplish in a single bag of a snack or a single teaspoon out of a bottle of oil.

When one reads about the benefits of “polyunsaturated oils” this is pure ignorance – regardless of doctorates held – and one should immediately cast extreme doubt on everything that is said by that person, at least on the subject of oils. It is equivalent to touting the benefits of “liquids.” Just as not every liquid has the same properties and therefore they should not be lumped together with regards to being nutritionally desirable or as to what quantities should be consumed, the same is true of polyunsaturated fats.

Canola oil is not as bad an offender as many oils. High oleic canola is no offender at all, nor is high-oleic sunflower.

Oils from nuts are generally fine. (Peanuts are legumes.)

And all of this is dependent upon quantity. A modest amount of any of the high-linoleic oils, if the rest of the diet isn’t overloaded with that fatty acid, is perfectly okay. For example, if intake of peanut butter is anything reasonable and the rest of the diet is good, there’s no problem here. Or if overall intake is reasonable, the fact that a given meal was cooked with corn oil or sunflower oil is no problem.

Most would I think do well to cut back on inadvertent high intake of high-linoleic oils.

In contrast, oils high in monounsaturated fat such as olive oil or various high-oleic oils are very desirable, as is coconut oil – not for monounsaturated fats but for some desirable saturated fats that it contains.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]bradden wrote:
And yes I have searched; although t-nations search feature is less then effective.[/quote]

Wrong, you just didn’t want to take the time. Don’t be lazy.[/quote]

I just did a search for the exact phrase “olive oil” in articles and got a big fat zero for results. I can’t believe there’s no article with the phrase olive oil in it. I also did a search for an article with the phrase “fat roundtable”. Nothing.

The search function does indeed suck.

[quote]barn-e wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]bradden wrote:

I just did a search for the exact phrase “olive oil” in articles and got a big fat zero for results. I can’t believe there’s no article with the phrase olive oil in it. I also did a search for an article with the phrase “fat roundtable”. Nothing.

[/quote]

In the past I’ve used google to search the site.

On the topic, I use olive oil and coconut oil. Eggs fried in coconut oil are pretty good.

Well, Bill Roberts takes the win for the best answer. See an answer that informative is hard to come by and hopefully strikes the type of discussion I’d like to welcome, something to learn from.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

Have you ever read any of the dozens of articles on here about fats? [/quote]

It blows my mind how many people jump on here, bypass all of the great articles which authors have put countless hours of writing and research into, and just post any and every question they have.

I think you should only be able to post on T-Nation after you’ve had your account for 14 days, that way people would READ FIRST, and see the insanely high level of content on this site.

OP, use the search function, and read as much as you can. Your mind and body will thank you for it, and so will the older members on these forums.[/quote]

WestCoast; you write “I think you should only be able to post on T-Nation after you’ve had your account for 14 days, that way people would READ FIRST”. I’m an 07 member, I’ve had my account for far more then 14days, I’ve been on here long enough that even if I only read an article once every two weeks I would’ve still read alot. I do however have a low post count and I admit that. Also, I appreciate the constructive critism part of your post, (eg. the useful part). And I was fully expecting to be flamed for starting a thread about oil, I’d just like to see more info, opinions and perspectives.

[quote]debraD wrote:

[quote]barn-e wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]bradden wrote:

[/quote]

In the past I’ve used google to search the site.

On the topic, I use olive oil and coconut oil. Eggs fried in coconut oil are pretty good.[/quote]

I do eat alot of eggs, so that would be a good option. I’ve never thought to use google to search the site, but you should understand that outside of typing I’m very poor at using computers, the laptop I’m using now is held together with chicken wire and JB Weld.

[quote]barn-e wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]bradden wrote:

[/quote]

Thanks for not letting me be the only one to point out the search feature sucks.

[quote]bradden wrote:
Well, Bill Roberts takes the win for the best answer. See an answer that informative is hard to come by and hopefully strikes the type of discussion I’d like to welcome, something to learn from.[/quote]

http://tinyurl.com/29cfdxe
http://tinyurl.com/2b3codx

Read, then we can discuss.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
Canola oil is not as bad an offender as many oils. High oleic canola is no offender at all, nor is high-oleic sunflower.

Oils from nuts are generally fine. (Peanuts are legumes.)

And all of this is dependent upon quantity. A modest amount of any of the high-linoleic oils, if the rest of the diet isn’t overloaded with that fatty acid, is perfectly okay. For example, if intake of peanut butter is anything reasonable and the rest of the diet is good, there’s no problem here. Or if overall intake is reasonable, the fact that a given meal was cooked with corn oil or sunflower oil is no problem.

Most would I think do well to cut back on inadvertent high intake of high-linoleic oils.

[/quote]

This is an excellent post.