T Nation

OHP Issue

I don’t want to be one of those guys that posts and asks questions all the time, but this problem I’ve had ever since I started lifting weights with no solution that I can find through just adjusting how I normally do it.

My problem is that whenever I’m doing the Overhead Press I feel all of the weight on my lower back. I fixed several points of bad form (OHP is by far my most poorly performed lift), I had a bad habit of leaning back very far and I resolved that, I always brought the bar to my chest instead of stopping at my ears, and even with these two fixes I always feel all of the weight on the spine of my lower back to the point that it feels uncomfortable.

Now this even occurs when I’m only using about 100lbs for 5-8 reps. Any possible solutions? Should I try and post a video to maybe help show my form?

[quote]Leonard2580 wrote:

Should I try and post a video to maybe help show my form?[/quote]

yes. this is necessary.

drop the weight a little, squeeze your ass as hard as you can and then do the press.

whether it’s OHP, bicep curls, anything standing, my first cue is always “squeeze the glutes(flex the ass)”.

Then there’s this video that changed things for me. Very simple -

And I hate to sound like the “mobility work solves everything” guy… but based on your description (and having dealt with the same thing myself), I’m thinking:

1. bad thoracic mobility
  2. weak glutes
  3. weak quads
  4. weak abs

But mostly #1.

Video will help.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

yes. this is necessary.[/quote]

you got bigger flip!

[quote]LoRez wrote:
And I hate to sound like the “mobility work solves everything” guy… but based on your description (and having dealt with the same thing myself), I’m thinking:

1. bad thoracic mobility

Video will help.[/quote]

I had thought it may be something like that. I don’t think it’s because I’m weak in abs or lower body areas, I’m actually fairly strong lower body wise and I work abs every other day on their own. I will try to post a video whenever I get off work today.

Thanks for all the quick replies, I will try to get a video posted whenever I get off work today.

[quote]Claudan wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

you got bigger flip![/quote]

thanks! workin’ on it.

I don’t know who that guy in the video is, but that’s a pretty good explanation of the OHP.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]Claudan wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

thanks! workin’ on it.

I don’t know who that guy in the video is, but that’s a pretty good explanation of the OHP.
[/quote]

his name is Matt Ogus - natural bodybuilder - and is being coached by Eric Helms/Alberto Nunez over @ 3DMJ. I’m a big fan of Helms and his advice.

[quote]Claudan wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]Claudan wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

thanks! workin’ on it.

[/quote]

his name is Matt Ogus - natural bodybuilder - and is being coached by Eric Helms/Alberto Nunez over @ 3DMJ. I’m a big fan of Helms and his advice.

[/quote]

I’ve never really taken him seriously as most of his videos are just of him goofing around but that OHP video instantly added 10kg to my OHP. Before that I used to do the press with a pretty wide grip, too much leaning back and the elbows way back. Kind of like a standing incline bench press.

To the OP, try this:

I don’t think a video is necessary now, after toying with the instruction in the video I realized that I wasn’t staying tense in my butt. And that my elbows were too far back. After correcting my form not only does the pressure disappear off my lower back, I went up 20lbs easily.

I don’t think a video is necessary now, after toying with the instruction in the video I realized that I wasn’t staying tense in my butt. And that my elbows were too far back. After correcting my form not only does the pressure disappear off my lower back, I went up 20lbs easily. [/quote]

That’s great. The reason I mentioned the glutes, abs, quads piece is that if you stay tight in those three places, it pretty much holds everything in place and takes the pressure off the low back.

Another thing to add would be to use your lats as a shelf for the upper arms to push off from. You should not have a staggered stance, the feet should be fairly close together so (as mentioned already) you can squeeze the glutes. The head should move around the bar, the bar should not move around the head. I personally also find it advantageous to use a false grip and to stop the bar in the middle of my neck (not coming all the way down to the clavicle.

I have another issue that’s unrelated guys. I was at work today and out of nowhere my middle back just below between my shoulder blades began to hurt, just a dull ache every time I took a breath, easily ignored. It felt like I needed my back popped more then anything but I couldn’t get it to do so. As the day progressed it got worse to the point I couldn’t ignore it anymore, I found out getting up and walking around helped it a little but not a lot. I eventually get off work and by this time the pain was bad, every breath was difficult and I was wincing with every step.

Not letting this ruin push day, I went ahead with my workout. Bench presses, pushups and dumbells were fine, no pain at all the whole workout wasn’t too bad. Then I get around to trying overhead presses, and I’m excited because now I have the form down fairly well. I start on 3 sets of 5. On the final set around the last two reps, excruciating pain in that spot. I lay down on the ground and try to compose myself. I decide to push on and do a few more sets of pushups, and do spiderman crawls for a cooldown without incident. But now I’m sitting here feeling like a knife is stabbing into my back with every breath. This came out of nowhere this morning, yesterday was an off day, the day before that was legs, neither had pain of any kind. Any clues on what might have happened or any ways to alleviate this? The pain is probably a 7 on a 1-10, it takes the breath out of me at times if I’m not ready for it.

I have another issue that’s unrelated guys. I was at work today and out of nowhere my middle back just below between my shoulder blades began to hurt, just a dull ache every time I took a breath, easily ignored. It felt like I needed my back popped more then anything but I couldn’t get it to do so. As the day progressed it got worse to the point I couldn’t ignore it anymore, I found out getting up and walking around helped it a little but not a lot. I eventually get off work and by this time the pain was bad, every breath was difficult and I was wincing with every step.

Not letting this ruin push day, I went ahead with my workout. Bench presses, pushups and dumbells were fine, no pain at all the whole workout wasn’t too bad. Then I get around to trying overhead presses, and I’m excited because now I have the form down fairly well. I start on 3 sets of 5. On the final set around the last two reps, excruciating pain in that spot. I lay down on the ground and try to compose myself. I decide to push on and do a few more sets of pushups, and do spiderman crawls for a cooldown without incident. But now I’m sitting here feeling like a knife is stabbing into my back with every breath. This came out of nowhere this morning, yesterday was an off day, the day before that was legs, neither had pain of any kind. Any clues on what might have happened or any ways to alleviate this? The pain is probably a 7 on a 1-10, it takes the breath out of me at times if I’m not ready for it. [/quote]

Take a few hot shower and relax and stretch your body, give it couple of days and if it doesn’t subside - call a doctor. Sometimes shit happens and we pinch this or that.