OHP Help!

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Interesting. I have to admit I never really gave shoulder raises a try.
[/quote]

It’s one of those reasons why I think injuries are such valuable learning experiences, because I never would’ve tried them otherwise, haha. Kalle Beck of starting strongman (used to post here as Kalle) also vouches for them.

They have the side benefit of making your shoulder bigger too, which is nice.
[/quote]

These make it pretty high on my “things I should do, but never actually do with any real intensity” list. Until recently, that list was: direct abs work, direct shoulder work, direct arm work.[/quote]

I will say my lifting became much better once I started doing direct ab and shoulder work. Broke though a lot of barriers that way, and my abs are visible more often now that they’re bigger it seems.

…still waiting for that arm work to do something, haha.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Interesting. I have to admit I never really gave shoulder raises a try.
[/quote]

It’s one of those reasons why I think injuries are such valuable learning experiences, because I never would’ve tried them otherwise, haha. Kalle Beck of starting strongman (used to post here as Kalle) also vouches for them.

They have the side benefit of making your shoulder bigger too, which is nice.
[/quote]

These make it pretty high on my “things I should do, but never actually do with any real intensity” list. Until recently, that list was: direct abs work, direct shoulder work, direct arm work.[/quote]

I will say my lifting became much better once I started doing direct ab and shoulder work. Broke though a lot of barriers that way, and my abs are visible more often now that they’re bigger it seems.

…still waiting for that arm work to do something, haha.
[/quote]
Out of interest, what kind of direct ab work do you do?

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
Out of interest, what kind of direct ab work do you do?[/quote]

I alternate between GHR sit-ups with a weight plate behind my head and standing ab wheel once a week… I used to train abs twice a week when I had a more powerlifting focused routine, but with strongman it became something I had to deprioritize in order to train events. That said, the yoke does a pretty good job hammering the core, so all is not lost.

Ugh, T-Nation ate my post that I spent 15 minutes writing up :frowning:

Basically, I’ve never felt shoulder isolation could trump good protocol and even some nuances to form change. What I did for over 5 years (with some change every now and then) was train my strict or push press for 3 weeks with strictly AMRAP (as many reps as possible) parameters. Similar to 5/3/1, but percents out of mind. Then 3 weeks of heavier shit.

E.g. for 3 week rep cycle (est. max of 45kg)
week 1: 20kg x AMRAP. Followed by drop set to another AMRAP set, and maybe another after that. (in your case, grab a pair of light dumbbells instead)

week 2: 25kg x AMRAP same as above

week 3: 30kg x AMRAP same as above

After a volume cycle, I’ll either deload, or start another 3 week cycle. This time, training it heavy.

E.g. for 3 week heavy cycle
week 1: 30kg x 5 x 5.

week 2: 35kg x 5 x 2

week 3: 40kg x 6 x 1

Obviously, the weights are adjusted by whatever you feel they need to be. I know it’s a lot of numbers, but the main idea is a fantastic training principle! Hope it can help.

I would listen to Vinny on all things related to overhead.

I would listen to Vinny on all things related to overhead.[/quote]

But someone told me to listen to you! lol This is the hardest thing about being new to lifting, there’s so much advice out there I don’t know which way to go! Your advice seems very sound and makes sense (I did the routine in the video today!) Now you’re telling me to listen to someone that advises basically the opposite of what you suggested! Don’t get me wrong mate, this isn’t a criticism at all and I appreciate anyone that’s take the time to help me out, it just get’s confusing! lol I’ll stick with doing the OHP on the schedule I am now and add the assistance exercises you suggested on days I’m not doing OHP. On OHP days I can do them how Vinny suggests, does that sound like a plan?

[quote]strongmanvinny wrote:
Ugh, T-Nation ate my post that I spent 15 minutes writing up :frowning:

Basically, I’ve never felt shoulder isolation could trump good protocol and even some nuances to form change. What I did for over 5 years (with some change every now and then) was train my strict or push press for 3 weeks with strictly AMRAP (as many reps as possible) parameters. Similar to 5/3/1, but percents out of mind. Then 3 weeks of heavier shit.

E.g. for 3 week rep cycle (est. max of 45kg)
week 1: 20kg x AMRAP. Followed by drop set to another AMRAP set, and maybe another after that. (in your case, grab a pair of light dumbbells instead)

week 2: 25kg x AMRAP same as above

week 3: 30kg x AMRAP same as above

After a volume cycle, I’ll either deload, or start another 3 week cycle. This time, training it heavy.

E.g. for 3 week heavy cycle
week 1: 30kg x 5 x 5.

week 2: 35kg x 5 x 2

week 3: 40kg x 6 x 1

Obviously, the weights are adjusted by whatever you feel they need to be. I know it’s a lot of numbers, but the main idea is a fantastic training principle! Hope it can help. [/quote]

Thanks for taking the time to write this up man! Are you saying do OHP once a week? At the moment (lifting 3 times a week) I’m doing them twice one week then once the next, rotating them with bench, then back to twice. Does that make sense?

I think the best takeaway you can have here is that there is no secret. Pwnisher would wager the same, I feel.

When I first started lifting I used to do every workout I could find in muscle magazines as well as copy every workout I saw guys like Scot Mendelson, Ed Coan, and Kevin Nee do. Six years later, I never quite developed any of their physiques like I thought I would, or noticed any direct results that I could attribute to them.

That said, If I could tell my past self anything, it’d be that if you work hard, and if you have a will, you will find a way. There was a time where I could not strict press one plate on a side. I’d search and seek for answers as to why I couldn’t, as if the next guy had something I didn’t. Six years later, I’m probably strict pressing the average gym-goers deadlift or squat. The best advice I can give is to just keep busting your ass and embracing the grind.

And sure, keep rotating with bench. Nothing wrong with that!

[quote]strongmanvinny wrote:
I think the best takeaway you can have here is that there is no secret. Pwnisher would wager the same, I feel.

When I first started lifting I used to do every workout I could find in muscle magazines as well as copy every workout I saw guys like Scot Mendelson, Ed Coan, and Kevin Nee do. Six years later, I never quite developed any of their physiques like I thought I would, or noticed any direct results that I could attribute to them.

That said, If I could tell my past self anything, it’d be that if you work hard, and if you have a will, you will find a way. There was a time where I could not strict press one plate on a side. I’d search and seek for answers as to why I couldn’t, as if the next guy had something I didn’t. Six years later, I’m probably strict pressing the average gym-goers deadlift or squat. The best advice I can give is to just keep busting your ass and embracing the grind.

And sure, keep rotating with bench. Nothing wrong with that![/quote]

Agree with all of this. Lots of ways to train/reach goals. Effort and intensity tend to be the deciding factors.

Similar thread: Really? Shoulder Press Lagging - Bigger Stronger Leaner - Forums - T Nation

[quote]Dave_70 wrote:
But someone told me to listen to you! lol This is the hardest thing about being new to lifting, there’s so much advice out there I don’t know which way to go! Your advice seems very sound and makes sense (I did the routine in the video today!) Now you’re telling me to listen to someone that advises basically the opposite of what you suggested! Don’t get me wrong mate, this isn’t a criticism at all and I appreciate anyone that’s take the time to help me out, it just get’s confusing! lol I’ll stick with doing the OHP on the schedule I am now and add the assistance exercises you suggested on days I’m not doing OHP. On OHP days I can do them how Vinny suggests, does that sound like a plan?[/quote]

Honestly, both Punisher and Vinny’s suggestions might help, but I’m not sure suddenly changing your program is the best move.

You just started lifting like 3 weeks ago, right? And what is the problem? It was difficult to gets 3 sets of 5 on OHP? But you still got all the reps?

That’s not really a problem. It’s going to be difficult – that’s the point, that’s how you get stronger.

As a beginner, you need to spend some time practicing the movements and getting good at them before you introduce more complexity. You weight 198 and are pressing 66lbs, there is a lot of room for improvement with just basic lifting and adding weight to the bar. Use smaller plates (1 - 1.25 lbs) if you can, to make smaller jumps. I don’t think you need to start fiddling with your routine – in fact, I wouldn’t change anything at all until you’ve done it for a couple months at least.

I agree, don’t change anything major. Stick to your program, maybe add 1(!) exercise if you must. But you’re not stuck. Being stuck means pushing the same weight up for six months with no changes whatsoever.

Thanks guys, you’re all right! I’m just over a month into lifting so I am very new to all this so I’ll stick with what I’m doing and just keep pushing it. I can honestly say whether I’m feeling good or not I’m going as hard as I can because I know what I want to achieve and the only way to get there is hard work! I definitely need to get some 1lb plates as the smallest at the gym are 1.25kg and that’s getting tough to add every workout!

Also need to work on technique for the OHP a lot I think before I start worrying about the weight too much, that’ll come with time. Another thing I should keep in mind is the first time I squatted with just the bar was scary and after a relatively short time I’m squatting 50kg and adding to it every workout so I should stop worrying, I’m getting stronger and know progress will come!