OHP Help Needed

When I OHP, after a few sets of 10 reps I get this burning in the backs of my shoulders. It almost feels like my external rotators, just below my rear delts. It gets intense during the set and for a few moments afterwards, but then goes away. Outside of the gym my shoulders never hurt. I have tried to do more sets with lower reps but this seems more volume affected.

My question is, is this something to be cautious about? Or are my shoulder stabilizers just getting worked from the weight going overhead so many times?

I feel no “pain” pressing, it is just this burn. I read about shoulder impingements but I do not think it is the same area, but then again I do not know.

I am hoping CT or anyone could give input as to what this possibly could be and if I should continue with caution.

Thank you for taking the time to read and I appreciate any input.

[quote]StateOfPsychosis wrote:
When I OHP, after a few sets of 10 reps I get this burning in the backs of my shoulders. It almost feels like my external rotators, just below my rear delts. It gets intense during the set and for a few moments afterwards, but then goes away. Outside of the gym my shoulders never hurt. I have tried to do more sets with lower reps but this seems more volume affected.

My question is, is this something to be cautious about? Or are my shoulder stabilizers just getting worked from the weight going overhead so many times?

I feel no “pain” pressing, it is just this burn. I read about shoulder impingements but I do not think it is the same area, but then again I do not know.

I am hoping CT or anyone could give input as to what this possibly could be and if I should continue with caution.

Thank you for taking the time to read and I appreciate any input.[/quote]

Did this just start happening, and have you changed anything in your OHP training?
I had something similar, as you described, but oddly for me it was when I was just getting back to OH after a lay-off, and only felt it when doing low rep heavy. Didn’t feel it in high rep sets. For me I just had to get used to doing heavy OH work again and it went away.

I don’t think it is an impingement, though I am not an expert. I have had shoulder problems in the past and currently do a lot of band work (pull a parts, face pulls, etc) between all pressing sets which helps to address any imbalances in my shoulders and upper back.

Thanks for your response.

I have noticed it in the past couple months and yea I was out of the gym for a while from illness.

Been back at it with 531 OHP day, I warm up, work sets, sometimes a few heavier sets, then try to get through 5x10 because it hits my triceps like no other exercise.

A guy at the gym said he felt something similar and it also went away eventually. As far as impingement goes, I wouldn’t have a clue as to what to be looking for, I always thought that was a “pinching”, all I know is I don’t want it haha.

I have been hammering upper back and also doing mobility/soft tissue work daily, might hit the upper back and rear delts even more to see if it helps.

I was thinking about just staying the course and seeing if it goes away over time. Just wanted to get some input to see if others have felt the same thing. And to me CT is the man when it comes to overhead stuff.

That’s a lot of volume, especially just coming back from an illness. OHP’s are one of my favorites also.
I’ve been running layers program, and adding a BBB component at the end of each session (3 or 4 x 10).
I do the sets of 10 OHP after bench, and vice versa instead of same day. I like this set up as it allows me to
hit press and bench twice in the week and spread the volume out a bit.