Ohio State v. LSU

The absolute worst Championship Game in years. I can see LSU’s claim to being there. But the buckeyes?

How can anyone in the BCS ever take the Big 10 serious? They are the worst when it comes to playing in big games.

Anyhow - I have LSU 38-14 with the 14 coming late in the game after the Tigers have pulled their 3rd stringers and are playing all the walk-ons.

Concur. LSU in a romp. OSU will get smoked like they did last year.

LSU 38-17.

As an OU fan, it pains me to think that Les Miles will be a national championship coach.

The key is NOT to take the opening kickoff for a TD. Ted Ginn Jr. did this last year, as well as Devin Hester for the Bears in the Super Bowl, and both teams lost. Obviously it’s just a coincidence, but you never know.

Personally I dont think LSU is all that great…they had a couple of close games and TWO losses…and for anyone that says they can see LSUs claim to be in the big game and not OSU, please explain it to me. OSU has one loss and its to another BCS team. LSU has two losses, neither to a BCS team.

And lets not 4get this is college football where upsets are known to occur at a high rate. Remember when OSU beat Miami when no one thought they would win? or when Texas defeated “the best team in college football history” -ESPN (USC)? or when UF, that non deserving SEC team destroyed OSU? Not to mention this is the year of upsets, so dont be surprised if you see OSU winning it. Personally I would put my money LSU, but when you have a great defense and you can run the ball…you can play with the best of them.

If OSU wins, it will be an upset to say the least.

OSU plays in the Big-10. Put them in the SEC and they will be lucky to have 7 wins.

Big-10 and PAC-10 are media conferences meaning that they have to have non-stop media coverage before anyone will give a shit about them.

If it wasn’t for ESPN, OSU would not be in the title game.

Not a slam against OSU, it is a slam against their conference. It should not be a BCS conference.

[quote]rainjack wrote:

[/quote]

Do you think ESPN is how Florida got into the title game last year, along with Urban Meyer pushing hard for his team?

I think so, I would like to hear your take.

I concur with RJ, the Big Ten should be dumped…and the WAC should be added to the BCS conferences. Go Warriors baby!

[quote]rainjack wrote:
If OSU wins, it will be an upset to say the least.

OSU plays in the Big-10. Put them in the SEC and they will be lucky to have 7 wins.

Big-10 and PAC-10 are media conferences meaning that they have to have non-stop media coverage before anyone will give a shit about them.

Not a slam against OSU, it is a slam against their conference. It should not be a BCS conference. [/quote]

You’re just silly. This conference thing is also silly. Football is matchups. You play who you get.

I’m a PSU alum, I don’t give a crap about conference pride, conference records and so on. I only care about PSU winning, which they did last year, beating an SEC team, btw. As for the other big ten teams, who cares?

Since joining the Big Ten, PSU has an 8-2 record in bowl games. Show me a team much better. Beat Tennessee twice, Oregon, Kentucky, FSU, Texas A&M, Auburn, and Texas. they lost to Auburn in the 02 season, and fForida in the 97 season.

Show me a team with a significantly better bowl record. I see 4 SEC wins and two losses to SEC teams. I also see two Texas teams biting the dust. Another southern team from the SEC and the Rose Bowl oppenent , Oregon, following the 94 season.

You know, the south didn’t invent football, win the civil war, etc. There are good teams everywhere.

[quote]tom63 wrote:

You know, the south didn’t invent football, win the civil war, etc. There are good teams everywhere.

[/quote]

Just not in the Big 10

PSU was an independent until money, bowl money, forced them to whore out to the highest bidder.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
rainjack wrote:

Do you think ESPN is how Florida got into the title game last year, along with Urban Meyer pushing hard for his team?

I think so, I would like to hear your take.[/quote]

If I remember correctly, and I am not going to bet money on me doing so, I think the issue was FSU, or UM going to Arizona to play OSU.

No one wanted to see a Big-10 championship game. Thats like watching someone floss their teeth.

The game did solidify my opinion that the Big-10 should be a mid major at best. The game this year should make it obvious even to the village idiot that the Big-10 just has no grasp of the game of football.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
No matter how you slice it, a team with two losses and two close wins should not be in the title game. I know that’s been said a zillion times lately but good points bear repeating. And I know the SEC is the toughest conference in Div. 1 but I stand by what I said.[/quote]

This season in particular should be the poster child for a playoff system.

There is no good choice for who should be in the championship game. By all rights - Hawaii should be playing in that game over both OSU and LSU.

The ironic thing is that the team with 2 OT losses and 2 close wins will wipe the field with their opponent. OSU is only in this game because of their conference - much like Hawaii is snubbed because of theirs.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
tmoney1 wrote:
rainjack wrote:

If I remember correctly, and I am not going to bet money on me doing so, I think the issue was FSU, or UM going to Arizona to play OSU.

No one wanted to see a Big-10 championship game. Thats like watching someone floss their teeth.

The game did solidify my opinion that the Big-10 should be a mid major at best. The game this year should make it obvious even to the village idiot that the Big-10 just has no grasp of the game of football.

[/quote]

I’m not meaning to stick up for OSU, but ESPN had nothing to do with them getting into the game. The Big 10 is not as good as some of the other conferences, but they are still a major conference. Ohio State was one of just two teams to make it through the season with just one loss, and the loss was at a good time for them (compared to Kansas’ season ending loss) so by default they sit atop the polls. This is how it has always worked. ESPN had nothing to do with MU and WVU losing to send OSU from 3 to 1.

If you want to complain about the media putting somebody in the championship game you need to be complaining about LSU. In no other week would they have ever jumped from 7 to 2 with a slim victory over Tennessee. They passed two teams that were idle and another, VaTech, that had an impressive win over the #11 team in the country. LSU is clearly the benefactor of ESPN, not Ohio State.

[quote]tedro wrote:
rainjack wrote:
tmoney1 wrote:
rainjack wrote:

I’m not meaning to stick up for OSU, but ESPN had nothing to do with them getting into the game. The Big 10 is not as good as some of the other conferences, but they are still a major conference. Ohio State was one of just two teams to make it through the season with just one loss, and the loss was at a good time for them (compared to Kansas’ season ending loss) so by default they sit atop the polls. This is how it has always worked. ESPN had nothing to do with MU and WVU losing to send OSU from 3 to 1.

If you want to complain about the media putting somebody in the championship game you need to be complaining about LSU. In no other week would they have ever jumped from 7 to 2 with a slim victory over Tennessee. They passed two teams that were idle and another, VaTech, that had an impressive win over the #11 team in the country. LSU is clearly the benefactor of ESPN, not Ohio State.[/quote]

My point is that the Big-10 is only a “Major” conference because of the media coverage it gets. The SEC routinely schools Big-10 teams, especially in Bowl Games.

This year may be a payback year for the BCS snubbing LSU several years ago. Had they been in the title game instead of relegated to 3rd, it would have stopped all the USC ass-kissing that has been going on for the last 5 years.

WVa, VaTech, Maryland, Boston College, or Rutgers will never be title teams, nor will anyone else in the Big East/ACC. The only team worth a damn in either conference is Miami.

You can see Kirk Herbstreet getting a chubby whenever you mention Big-10, or Pac-10 football.

A playoff would marginalize the press, and let the teams setlle who is the best where you are supposed to: on the field.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
My point is that the Big-10 is only a “Major” conference because of the media coverage it gets. The SEC routinely schools Big-10 teams, especially in Bowl Games.

This year may be a payback year for the BCS snubbing LSU several years ago. Had they been in the title game instead of relegated to 3rd, it would have stopped all the USC ass-kissing that has been going on for the last 5 years.

WVa, VaTech, Maryland, Boston College, or Rutgers will never be title teams, nor will anyone else in the Big East/ACC. The only team worth a damn in either conference is Miami.

You can see Kirk Herbstreet getting a chubby whenever you mention Big-10, or Pac-10 football.

A playoff would marginalize the press, and let the teams setlle who is the best where you are supposed to: on the field.

[/quote]

You know I want a playoff as much as anybody, but for now we have to deal with what we have, and I would just like to see a bit of consistency. The Big-10 is not a very good conference this year and they haven’t been the last few years, but to say they aren’t a “Major” conference is a bit of a stretch. OSU would not escape the SEC with less than three losses, but I think they could have made it out of any other conference with just 1 loss, two at the most. They are still a good team, just not great.

I think we should be looking at a Hawaii/OSU national championship game. Since we don’t have a playoff all we can do is put in the teams that win the most games and give us the least number of reasons to do this. Hawaii is undefeated, OSU is one of two teams with one-loss, but there loss came earlier in the season than KU’s. Since Hawaii doesn’t have a chance of ever going, it really should have been Georgia. If it was any other week they would have been ranked #2 and nobody would have questioned it. The fact that we don’t even have this much consistency is pathetic.

VaTech is just as deserving of a shot as LSU. They and WVU can compete with anyone. VaTech is a legitimate top 5 team and I would probably put WVU at 6. In a season such as this, I don’t think anybody can truely say who is the best out of the top 10 without a playoff.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
Since joining the Big Ten, PSU has an 8-2 record in bowl games. Show me a team much better. Beat Tennessee twice, Oregon, Kentucky, FSU, Texas A&M, Auburn, and Texas. they lost to Auburn in the 02 season, and fForida in the 97 season.

Show me a team with a significantly better bowl record. I see 4 SEC wins and two losses to SEC teams. I also see two Texas teams biting the dust. Another southern team from the SEC and the Rose Bowl oppenent , Oregon, following the 94 season.
[/quote]

The Badgers aren’t far behind. Since 1993, Wisconsin has a 9-3 bowl record with 3 Rose Bowl victories and a 2-3 record versus the SEC. To the SEC’s credit, the Badgers’ only bowl losses were to the SEC, but they are also on a two-game win streak, beating Auburn and Arkansas the last two years.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
[/quote]

OK, now that’s just silly. since 2004, the Big 10 holds a 5-3 record versus SEC teams in bowl games. And the record tilts even more in the Big 10’s favor the further back you go.

The point is, most of the conferences are fairly evenly matched. They all have their down years here and there, but over time they’re all pretty equal.

[quote]tedro wrote:
You know I want a playoff as much as anybody, but for now we have to deal with what we have, and I would just like to see a bit of consistency. The Big-10 is not a very good conference this year and they haven’t been the last few years, but to say they aren’t a “Major” conference is a bit of a stretch. OSU would not escape the SEC with less than three losses, but I think they could have made it out of any other conference with just 1 loss, two at the most. They are still a good team, just not great.[/quote]

OSU would be just another team in the Big-12 with 2-3 conference losses. Face it, from top to bottom, the Big-10 pretty much sucks. The only other Major that is as weak as the Big 10 is the Pac-10. It’s not really fair - and fair is a crappy word - for a decent team to get 8 cake walk conference games in a weak conference and get the nod over a team that is in a tough conference with a loss. But like you say, this is the deck we have to play from. I just enjoy throwing a tiyty fit about it.

But KU’s loss was to a ranked team. OSU dropped the ball against an unranked opponent. This is why I say ESPN (should be read as national media) has more of a say in the final game than they should. It is my contention that, if there were a playoff - you would see the Big-10, Pac-10, and Big East fade to black because they are too weak to compete with real football conferences. Take the media out of the equation, and thye have nothing left.

That’s arguable. Mizzou is a top 5 team, as is Kansas, and Oklahoma. VaTech should feel screwed over because they played their way in. They are just a decent team in a weak conference though.

I agree with your last statement 100%. Too bad the money talks and everything else walks.

[quote]malonetd wrote:

The point is, most of the conferences are fairly evenly matched. They all have their down years here and there, but over time they’re all pretty equal.[/quote]

OSU is 0-8 against SEC opponents in BCS games. That should tell you that they are either horribly unlucky, or they suck when it comes to playing bonafide football conferences.

No way in hell the Big-10 should have 8 fucking teams in bowl games this year. Purdue damn near got the shit kicked out of them by ECU. EC-effing-U.

Which brings up another subject - there should be no such thing as being automatically bowl eligible.

If I were supreme ruler for one day…just one day…I’d fix all this shit, and everyone would have High Def big screens, little mexican bartenders to fetch you drinks, and outlaw local blackouts. I would ensure College Football nirvana

Here’s to hell freezing over and Ohio, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Michigan all winning their bowl games just so Rain digs a hole in his backyard and cries! Go Big 10!

In the past 5 years the Big 10 is 8-7 against SEC schools. They are pretty evenly matched. You sound like a whiny girl who didn’t get his way because teams he doesn’t care for are playing in the bowl. All teams have their ups and downs, at the end of the day he conferences don’t mean jack shit as to who is running a good program at the time. You can’t even compare OSU under Tressel to what Cooper did, just like USC with Pete Carroll.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
In the past 5 years the Big 10 is 8-7 against SEC schools. They are pretty evenly matched. You sound like a whiny girl who didn’t get his way because teams he doesn’t care for are playing in the bowl. All teams have their ups and downs, at the end of the day he conferences don’t mean jack shit as to who is running a good program at the time. You can’t even compare OSU under Tressel to what Cooper did, just like USC with Pete Carroll.[/quote]

I’m not whining about teams I don’t care for. I’m whining because we have the shittiest title game in the 26 years I have been following College football - well - perhaps with the exception of the BYU championship in '84. If you have been reading, you would see my bitch is with the Over ratedness of the Big-10

When second rate confernces such as the Big-10 and the Pac-10 are getting seats at the grown up table when it is time to pass out bowl bids - conferences do mean shit. The Big-10 has 8 fucking teams going to bowls - no way in hell do the bottom 4 deserve to go anywhere but straight to off-season training. If it was the Mountain West - you would have only 2 or 3 teams tops going bowling.