Oh No...UFC 68

any one know what Randy weighs these days. He looks to be in the 240-250 range to me in recent shots and videos. My guess is that he would come in around 230 but I don’t know where he is now, just guessing.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
I think most of you guys are still in college or have trust funds or something.

When Couture fought, there wasn’t much money in fighting. While I don’t think he’s living below the poverty line, he missed out on the big purses top MMA fighers now earn. He’s likely getting a nice deal for this fight. If he wins, he’ll make bank fighting (and likely losing to) Cro Cop.

A fight between Couture and Cro Cop would be way hyped and would draw huge PPV buys. I can see Couture making mid-six figures between the purse and his cut of the PPVs.

When you guys are a little older and not living off of mom and pop, you’ll start to see that sometimes you have to do things for the money. [/quote]

Randy has a bunch of gyms, endorsements, announcing engagements…don’t act as if he is not able to feed his family. He is most likely doing this because he can’t walk away from the ring. I applaud him for his spirit, but I really do not see how he is going to be able to deal with Sylvia’s size. I hope I am wrong and I’m sure all the guys with 20/20 hindsight will be all over me if I am. I like Randy Couture and I don’t like to see fighters stick around or come out of retirement to take a beating(a la Royce Gracie, Ken Shamrock)

[quote]slimjim wrote:
I like Randy Couture and I don’t like to see fighters stick around or come out of retirement to take a beating(a la Royce Gracie, Ken Shamrock)[/quote]

Neither do I. But I can’t blame the guys.

Think about it: What other job forces you to retire at 35 (or, if you’re very lucky) 40? To be required to quit a job you love at such a young age sucks.

So I can’t blame the guys for getting back into the ring. (Plus, it’s not like they can count on the endorsements and other money to come in forever. They need to make as much money as possible to feel financially secure.)

ALso keep in mind the randy has been keeping active with his grappling and it seems like it’s probably improved (watch his match with jacare.)

I hate Sylvia. Couture is the man. That being said…

I see Sylvia dominating this fight. Couture has had issues with big fighters in the past (Barnett and Ricco). It was the reason he left the HW division in the first place.

Sylvia is a boring mechanical fighter that has used the rules of the HW division to his advantage. The man needs to cut down to 265 lbs to make the limit. On fight night, he can easily weigh in at 280-285. Couture will probably come in at 225-230lbs. Thats a 50-60 pound weight difference. On top of that, he’s 6’8" with a wingspan of a 747.

I hope Couture wins, but I can’t see it happening.

[quote]RickyBobby wrote:
Won’t happen at least until after Hughes gets his warmup fight and I doubt it happens then. Dana doesnt want to see Diego’s record blemished against anyone other than GSP.

Hughes would DOMINATE Diego in all aspects.[/quote]

Yep. Hughes said in an interview that he asked Dana to fight Diego, but Dana wanted to save Diego for a title fight.

I think this has a lot to do with the fact that Cro Cop is the only legit contender and no one wants to see Tim fight Arlovski for a 4th time.

They need a big heavyweight match that will generate excitment before Cor cop comes in and destroys everyone.

I think it is definately a match i’d be excited to see. It’s a real David and Goliath match up with Randy having the talent and fans. Sylvia has the size and he’s kind of unpopular so it’s gonna generate a buzz.

Not sure if Randy can pull it off but if Sylvia fights like he has done recently, hopefully Randu won’t get another concussion.

Why would Dana sign this fight? Tim is a douche and everyone hates him, Randy is Captain Fucking America. Randy wins, the superhero vanquishes the villian and fades away back into retirement, there is much rejoicing yadda yadda. But honestly, I don’t think they want Randy to win.

Dana just dropped the biggest check he ever cut for a fighter contract on some guy from Croatia that no one in America knows about. What better way to instantly elevate him to God status than by having him take out vengance on the guy who vanquished Randy, whom everyone loves and respects?

At this point the HW division revolves around Zuffa getting back their investment in Mirko, and this plays into that I feel. Just my 2 cents.

[quote]brand wrote:
RickyBobby wrote:
Won’t happen at least until after Hughes gets his warmup fight and I doubt it happens then. Dana doesnt want to see Diego’s record blemished against anyone other than GSP.

Hughes would DOMINATE Diego in all aspects.

Yep. Hughes said in an interview that he asked Dana to fight Diego, but Dana wanted to save Diego for a title fight. [/quote]

Apparently Diego has to fight this guy first:

And Donut I think you’re right on in your last post. Good insight.

From another forum:

couture x cro cop= rocky 6

Joe Rogan: Aren’t you too old Couture?
Couture: What’s crazy about standing toe to toe saying I am?

Dana White: Cro Cop, you hear Couture applied for his fighting license?

Cro Cop: You want me to fight a guy that I can beat with both arms tied behind my back?

****Insert Three Six Mafia Song “It’s a Fight”

Couture: It ain’t over til it’s over…

Cro Cop: Where’s that from? UFC 43?

Couture: Acutally, it’s more like UFC 13.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Why would Dana sign this fight? Tim is a douche and everyone hates him, Randy is Captain Fucking America. Randy wins, the superhero vanquishes the villian and fades away back into retirement, there is much rejoicing yadda yadda. But honestly, I don’t think they want Randy to win.

Dana just dropped the biggest check he ever cut for a fighter contract on some guy from Croatia that no one in America knows about. What better way to instantly elevate him to God status than by having him take out vengance on the guy who vanquished Randy, whom everyone loves and respects?

At this point the HW division revolves around Zuffa getting back their investment in Mirko, and this plays into that I feel. Just my 2 cents.[/quote]

Good points, I hadn’t even thought about it in the future sense, this is some WWF action going on. But what happens if Randy wins and then fights this unknown killer from Croatia who knocks Randy’s head into the third row? That would put a damper on things a bit.

[quote]slimjim wrote:

Good points, I hadn’t even thought about it in the future sense, this is some WWF action going on. But what happens if Randy wins and then fights this unknown killer from Croatia who knocks Randy’s head into the third row? That would put a damper on things a bit.[/quote]

I don’t think he will. He said he wants to fight Tim Sylvia, he has not said he wants to fight as a HW. My guess is he would go back down to 205, especially if Rampage beats Chuck because he could get another shot at that title. Mirko vs Randy makes no business sense, and really wouldn’t do anything for either fighters career. If Randy pulled a miracle out of his ass and won it would be widely considered a fluke, and Dana’s million dollar man just got embarassed. Mirko wins, he kills a UFC HOF’er. I can just hear the quiet audience whispering under their breath “Why would do that?” in Cro Cop’s direction.