T Nation

Oh No...UFC 68

Apparently Rand Couture has agreed to come out of retirement to face Tim “I missed a few spots with my razor” Sylvia for the UFC Heavyweight Title…not quite how I’d like to see Randy go out, but is there anyway he can get close enough to Sylvia to take him down…keep in mind Sylvia is big even for a HW.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=3251&zoneid=2

Oh no is right.

Jesus

Jesus is this for real?

I’m pretty sure I recall reading an interview where Couture said, almost word for word, “I don’t want to fight guys the size of Tim Sylvia (any more) because I can’t see the point” - presumably in reference to his dropping down to LHW in the first place.

This makes no sense to me.

[quote]Body Hammer wrote:
Jesus is this for real?

I’m pretty sure I recall reading an interview where Couture said, almost word for word, “I don’t want to fight guys the size of Tim Sylvia (any more) because I can’t see the point” - presumably in reference to his dropping down to LHW in the first place.

This makes no sense to me.[/quote]

He likely did say that…but money, and a lot of it, has a funny way of changing people’s minds.

I’m a huge Couture fan and I’m excited to see him come out of retirement, but I don’t know if this is the best match-up for him. He hasn’t fought as a HW in several years and the fact that Sylvia is so much bigger than he is in terms of height is going to make it hard for Randy to take him down.

My guess is that Randy isn’t overly concerned about being KO’d by Sylvia, who hasn’t shown that killer instinct in his last two fights, and figures if he can take a few punches, he can get inside Sylvia’s range and use the clinch and dirty boxing and eventually take the big man down.

Again, not sure I like the match-up for Couture, but I’ll definitely be rooting for him to take the strap off Sylvia.

it is a shame how the UFC is recycling old fighters, embarrasing them, and using them to further their business investments.

these fights are nothing but token fights that are easy to hype and easy to earn money from.

there is no honor or sportsmanship in these bouts.

i miss the days when competition, rather than hype, was the attractive aspect of mma.

Oh no…what if Randy faces Cro Cop? The man still has his wits, this is pretty crazy.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Oh no…what if Randy faces Cro Cop? The man still his wits, this is pretty crazy.[/quote]

That’s what I was thinking!

This is lose - lose for Randy as I see it. Either he loses to Tim or he beats Tim and has to face Cro-Cop!

[quote]texasguy wrote:
it is a shame how the UFC is recycling old fighters, embarrasing them, and using them to further their business investments.

[/quote]

I’m certain Couture is going to get paid a lot of money. So please go find an actual victim before shedding anymore tears.

I think most of you guys are still in college or have trust funds or something.

When Couture fought, there wasn’t much money in fighting. While I don’t think he’s living below the poverty line, he missed out on the big purses top MMA fighers now earn. He’s likely getting a nice deal for this fight. If he wins, he’ll make bank fighting (and likely losing to) Cro Cop.

A fight between Couture and Cro Cop would be way hyped and would draw huge PPV buys. I can see Couture making mid-six figures between the purse and his cut of the PPVs.

When you guys are a little older and not living off of mom and pop, you’ll start to see that sometimes you have to do things for the money.

I think he watched one too many Rocky movies…

I think Randy can beat Sylvia. Tim has good takedown defense but he’s not as fast as Couture and the bigger they are the harder they fall and Sylvia is one big motta. The weight difference is a concern though it’s like trying to take a bull down. The guy is heavy to say the least but he relies on that and that maybe his weakness next to his strength. He isn’t gonna jump up all quirky like liddell.

Randy has got a good chance my 2cents

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
I think he watched one too many Rocky movies…[/quote]

Yep. Because an “old guy” making a comeback has never happened in real life. Here’s one recent failure: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Foreman

i hope he smacks the shit out of silvia.does anyone actualy like silvia?he is a boring fighter

As of the 3 Lidell fights I don’t think Randy is hurting for any money. I do recall Randy talking about the drop to lhw because of people Sylvias’ size.

That being said I think he stands a much better chance than Monson did and that fight went the distance. Randy can no doubt close the distance better since he’s taller than Jeff (6’2" to 5’9"), fight nastier in the clinch and G-n-P Sylvia harder than he’s ever been pounded once he takes him down. If Captain America can avoid the big punch by Sylvia and take it the distance the UD is his.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
I think most of you guys are still in college or have trust funds or something.

When Couture fought, there wasn’t much money in fighting. While I don’t think he’s living below the poverty line, he missed out on the big purses top MMA fighers now earn. He’s likely getting a nice deal for this fight. If he wins, he’ll make bank fighting (and likely losing to) Cro Cop.

A fight between Couture and Cro Cop would be way hyped and would draw huge PPV buys. I can see Couture making mid-six figures between the purse and his cut of the PPVs.

When you guys are a little older and not living off of mom and pop, you’ll start to see that sometimes you have to do things for the money. [/quote]

True, to an extent. Couture didn’t make much money in his first UFC deal, but then left the company, fought overseas and then returned to the UFC and was their highest-paid fighter the last several years. Liddell and Ortiz now make nearly the same what Couture was paid between '03-'06.

Doh guess this makes my thread pointless. :wink:

Anyways, I don’t think this is a great match up for Randy although I think he has a shot at winning.

I’m sure just about everyone wants Randy to win. I know I do. :slight_smile:

Also, like everyone I don’t want to see him fight Cro-Cop.

On a site note, I really want to see Hughes vs Diego, with the winner fighting GSP.

Won’t happen at least until after Hughes gets his warmup fight and I doubt it happens then. Dana doesnt want to see Diego’s record blemished against anyone other than GSP.

Hughes would DOMINATE Diego in all aspects.

I think Randy is one of the most intelligent fighters out there and if he’s coming back to face Tim he must truly think he can win. I’d take randy, but it would be an interesting fight.

Hopefully this is a one time thing though because I’d hate to see his head fly off from a left high kick.

Im looking very forward to UFC 68. Randy should be able to bring up the tempo of the fight, take Tim down and give him a good beating.
Im also hoping Jason McDonald is fighting up to his potential and the fight of him vs Franklin should be a good one as well. Franklins stand up is obviously better…but should be a good fight.
See Ya