Oh My Aching...Everything!

A few times a year all the joints in my body seem to get sore as hell. It completely derails my workouts when this happens. It can last anywhere from 6-8 weeks.

When I say all my joints, I mean both shoulders, both elbows, both wrists, both knees, both feet. I know feet aren’t joints, but they hurt like hell right now so I tossed 'em in too.

Then it goes away about as suddenly as it comes on. During the times when I don’t hurt, I feel great, and start making gains again working out 5-6 days a week.

It started again about a month ago. Workouts have sucked since then. Anti-inflammatories like Advil & Aleve don’t help.

Last time it happened was in April, but from June until mid September I was great.

I saw my doctor back in early June, and he ran a bunch of tests on me. Said I had zero inflammation in my system (so Flameout really works!) and my numbers were all in the normal range except thyroid was not functioning properly. He suggested I start drinking distilled water to avoid fluoride. Since I started feeling great within a couple weeks of that visit, I figured maybe it was some reaction to the fluoride, but now it’s back. And it sucks. Any ideas?

Do some research on Fibromyalgia and see if the symptoms fit.

[quote]101airborne wrote:
Do some research on Fibromyalgia and see if the symptoms fit.[/quote]

I have heard of Fibromyalgia and I mentioned it to my doctor when I saw him. He completely dismissed it saying that Fibromyalgia was something doctors told women they had in order to throw them a bone.

I’ve been seeing this doctor for 9 years and he was emphatic in his belief that Fibromyalgia was not my problem.

Might be worth checking adrenal and thyroid function when you have the problem, before taking Flamout. Also need a CBC, fasting serum glucose, lipids, liver enzymes etc.

Fibromyalgia simply does not go away like that.

Taking large amounts of vitamin D? [a good thing]

Whenever I get ridiculously sore I take an epsom salt bath. I’ve never had the soreness in the joints that you are describing, so I doubt this will help you as much as it helps me for my muscular pain.

But, relaxing in a warm bath and a bunch of Mg can’t hurt!

[quote]KSman wrote:
Might be worth checking adrenal and thyroid function when you have the problem, before taking Flamout. Also need a CBC, fasting serum glucose, lipids, liver enzymes etc.

Taking large amounts of vitamin D? [a good thing][/quote]

Doc did all those tests you mention when I saw him in June, and each year at my annual physical and the only number he did not like was the thyroid, that’s why he recommended I avoid fluoride. Sort of as an experiment to see if the thyroid function returns to normal.

Vitamin D? I usually take it in winter since I am not outdoors as much, but why otherwise?

[quote]eric_lacrosse wrote:
KSman wrote:

Taking large amounts of vitamin D? [a good thing]

Doc did all those tests you mention when I saw him in June, and each year at my annual physical and the only number he did not like was the thyroid, that’s why he recommended I avoid fluoride. Sort of as an experiment to see if the thyroid function returns to normal.

Vitamin D? I usually take it in winter since I am not outdoors as much, but why otherwise?[/quote]

Research in the last few years shows that we need a lot more vit-D than was known. Most need 2000 - 6000iu per day for optimal levels. The body stores vit-D and converts into a vit-D hormone, a steroid like hormone. All cells in the body have receptors for it. The issue is way beyond kids and bones. In northern climates where sun exposure is reduced, vit-D level are lower and there are more cancers, strokes, heart attacks, MS and other auto-immune diseases etc. Also has a strong impact on immune function and disease resistance.

Do you use iodized salt? Sea salt does not contain iodine unless it states it has been added. The iodine in sea water does not get retained in the crystallization. Many are iodine deficient and that can contribute to some thyroid problems.

Achy joints is a symptom of hypothyroidism. Most sub-clinical cases are never diagnosed. Low thyroid levels may be a contributor to your episodic pains. Get some Armour thyroid and keep on hand. Next event, take some and see if the duration and recover are more favorable.

[quote]KSman wrote:

Research in the last few years shows that we need a lot more vit-D than was known. Most need 2000 - 6000iu per day for optimal levels. The body stores vit-D and converts into a vit-D hormone, a steroid like hormone. All cells in the body have receptors for it. The issue is way beyond kids and bones. In northern climates where sun exposure is reduced, vit-D level are lower and there are more cancers, strokes, heart attacks, MS and other auto-immune diseases etc. Also has a strong impact on immune function and disease resistance.

Do you use iodized salt? Sea salt does not contain iodine unless it states it has been added. The iodine in sea water does not get retained in the crystallization. Many are iodine deficient and that can contribute to some thyroid problems.

Achy joints is a symptom of hypothyroidism. Most sub-clinical cases are never diagnosed. Low thyroid levels may be a contributor to your episodic pains. Get some Armour thyroid and keep on hand. Next event, take some and see if the duration and recover are more favorable.[/quote]

I don’t use salt at all. I will ask the doctor when I have my thyroid retested next week to see what my iodine levels are like. I’ll look for Armour thyroid, since I am in the middle of an event right now, it’s worth a shot, since I already know I have hypothyroidism, my test result in June was a 5 on a scale of .5 to 5, with 5 indicating impaired thyroid function.

Are you a doctor? You really seem to know your shit.

I am an engineer.

With a thyroid problem, you may be having problems from a low iodine status. Most docs will have no idea about testing iodine. Armour is prescription. Hypothyroidism can lower your T levels. Better to get some iodine supplements and see what that does for you instead of spending time/money on a test that will only show a low level.

Any chance of Lymes Disease? I only ask because I had it and it wreaked havoc on my joints for about a month, until we caught it. Is there a chance you caught it in the past and it has gone untreated?

Just taking a different angle.

Good luck.

I feel your pain. I’ve had a similar (intermittent) problem for years. Now, I’m bit hard in the wrists and knees mostly. I felt like a 90-year old doing push-ups and mountain climbers yesterday.

I say yes to the epsom salt bath – will do that today (the previous post reminded me of the benefits)

Also, I use Supple beverage (glucosamine/chondroitin/pear juice combo) which has helped quite a bit. Of course, I’m thinking arthritis and regular tablet supps have not worked. Something about it being in a liquid helps with absorption. The directions say 1 can Supple every day, but its rather expensive (about $3 a pop) so if I’m not hurting I forget to take it regularly. If pain is reminding me, I’m religious. It’s been a solid week now, so any day now this nonsense will go away like you said …As quickly as it came.

Hope you’re feeling better soon.

[quote]eric_lacrosse wrote:
A few times a year all the joints in my body seem to get sore as hell. It completely derails my workouts when this happens. It can last anywhere from 6-8 weeks.

When I say all my joints, I mean both shoulders, both elbows, both wrists, both knees, both feet. I know feet aren’t joints, but they hurt like hell right now so I tossed 'em in too.

Then it goes away about as suddenly as it comes on. During the times when I don’t hurt, I feel great, and start making gains again working out 5-6 days a week.[/quote]

How old are you? If you are anywhere near my age (55) you may be overtraining if you are working out 5-6 days a week. You might try working out less, maybe 3X per week and deloading more.

[quote]KSman wrote:
I am an engineer.

With a thyroid problem, you may be having problems from a low iodine status. Most docs will have no idea about testing iodine. Armour is prescription. Hypothyroidism can lower your T levels. Better to get some iodine supplements and see what that does for you instead of spending time/money on a test that will only show a low level.[/quote]

Another interesting post, thanks.

I had a 3 month Thyroid test today to see if the distilled water helped lower the number. I take a multivitamin with Iodine in it, so unless all the water I drink is washing it out of me not sure, but something else to bring up with the doctor.

[quote]TNfit wrote:

How old are you? If you are anywhere near my age (55) you may be overtraining if you are working out 5-6 days a week. You might try working out less, maybe 3X per week and deloading more.

[/quote]

I’m 42. I have wondered if I was over training during the times when I felt good, and if it is just catching up to me when I start to ache again.

When I asked my doctor, he said, well, the human body really was not made for heavy lifting. I told him I don’t think any of my lifts could be considered heavy enough to cause all this.

My dad is 76 and has lifted most of his life. While he is in better shape than 95% of men his age, he aches like hell all the time. He takes fish oil, glucosamine, all that shit and still he aches. His sister, who is 78 has no joint pain at all. Even though her fingers are a little bent with arthritis, she has no pain, not even in the morning right out of bed. Figure that one out.