Oh God My Knees

As a 49-year-old who’s fought this battle, I can tell you two things come to mind. First, it might be a tracking issue. I’ve found that if I don’t make sure my knees track directly in line with my toes, so that when I’m in the hole my thigh is directly in line with my foot, I start to have problems. I think it’s ok for the knees to go over the toes if that style works for you, but they’d better be in the same plane, or else you can get some nasty torque in the knee. Remember, the knee is a hinge, not a ball and socket; it’s designed to move in only one plane at a time.

Second, as others have suggested here, it might actually be a hip issue. If the knees are taking a load that should be on the hips, they will rebel and scream at you for it. I’d recommend finding a good physical therapist. He/she can not only diagnose your problem but give you a program to fix it.

I’ll See about a video Tuesday but I will say it doesn’t matter what style of squat I use, they all hurt and if it was simply a form issue that shouldn’t be the case. Free squats, Olympic, box, wide, narrow, SSB etc.

I’m by far the most qualified around to assess form so there’s no one to really ask.

Y’all didn’t go look at his squat vids?

That’s pretty much what my raw form looks like. A little less sitting back than in my suit but. . . well. . . obviously. . .

Also, the wobbly shit was the knee wraps. That was my third time in them in 10 years… I didn’t really get any practice with them pre-comp.

Actually watching that my stance has moved in a bit. That meet was spontaneous (signed up a week out) so I kept my geared form (almost) rather than change it up at the last second. I’ll shoot for a vid Tuesday.

Yeah stance width could be a factor in the weight messing with your hips, which defers some pain to your knees based off this video. I wouldn’t say they are caving in so much as slightly inward from the start which probably grinds your hips and you subconsciously shift that weight onto the knees and that’s where it may be coming from.

No video today, since I decided to do GM’s instead of squats and give my knees a break. I’ll squat Friday as usual and score some video.

You know what, sign up for Kabuki Movement System. They have at least two videos on fixing knee pain and right now it’s $10.99 a month with no activation fee. I was having some issues with one hip that kind of come and go, within about 24 hours of implementing the stuff in their videos it was completely gone. It literally seems too good to be true.

This is not an advertisement. I wish it was, I could use a discount on the Transformer bar.

How many times a week are you squatting? I had to reduce my frequency from twice a week to once a few months ago. My knees killed me after every squat session. I tried everything- working on form, different variations, changes in volume. Nothing worked. But after I cut back to once a week after a couple of weeks of that the pain went away and hasn’t come back.

Voodoo flossing something to try…

Perfect world get a couple sessions of ART treatment

I personally find having a double a dose of krill oil and also bunch of regular fish oil pills with breakfast the morning after to really help

I squat twice a week but because I typically train conjugate the ME day sometimes has nothing to do with squats. Recently I decided to try dropping speed days for heavier rep days which may be part of the issue too becuase honestly I’m a quick lifter, I need more practice grinding and pushing as I get tired. Part of my challenge is too many things changed all around the same time this started so it’s not easy to figure out which one is the culprit.

Oh I’m a fish oil junkie, it makes a huge difference on my joints so no worries there but it can only do so much. The ART I’d love to do but I’m a few thousand km from my guy and I’m not prepared to drop $150 for the initial assessment and treatment on someone I don’t know as I’ve had too many practitioners turn out to be useless and I don’t have a few hundred to burn through while trying to find a new guy.

I did get some SBD knee sleeves in the mail this week so we’ll see if those help today. I’ll also try to get some video but I’m having major phone issues so. . . we shall see I guess.

365, not real heavy but certainly heavy enough to see my form. The SBD’s are lovely. . .

I don’t see anything about your squat that looks like it would cause knee issues.

Nor do I but a second set of eyes never hurts.

Sitting back in gear and the sitting back while raw are 2 very different things. Also I know people say it doesn’t work and don’t do it but during the warm up roll yo ur quads some really helps my knee and hip when going raw. Warm up hams and hips very well and do some core amd glute activation before squatting. If care my general warm up is

60 seconds of each
Hip Circle Walks
Planks
Lunges
Glute Bridge
Roll Quads

I repeat twice and then move to the bar

Lastly you are squatting with a lot of forward lean and hip break which is great. But the way you have the bar high up and with that big lean at the start is causing you to fall forward even if slightly and is putting the weight on your toes. You can even see your heels start to move in yout shoes. The bar is put in front of you. Would put a lot of force on the patellar especially as you got up in weight and it gets more obvious.

1 Like

I’ve been doing more warming up which has been helping and I’ll add some quad rolling to see if it helps.

I did drift forward on the first squat, that’s easy to see but after that my weight was on my heels though.

That’s low bar position, high bar would be 3-4" up.

Buddy that’s far from low bar. It’s med bar at best. Also you can clearly see your heels rising and moving on each rep. Either way I won’t argue with you on it. Hope your knee gets better have a good day.