Ogre's Log 3.0

I have tried to keep a log in the other section and they keep shutting down after a few weeks and I am unable to post on them. I don’t know what that is all about, but since I am old anyway I probably need to be over here.

41 years old
Current weight 230
I am moving more and more toward CTs layering style of training. I workout at home and I do not have a power cage yet so that limits what I can do with layering on squats. I am incorporating it as much as I can otherwise.
Current approximate 1RM:
BP-240
Squat-350
DL-375
SGHP-205

I am watching what I eat but not following a strict diet. I am getting 1g of protein per lb of body weight and 8g of creatine per day. Other than that I am simply not eating crap. No chips. No snack cakes. Limited “white” carbs ie; bread, potatoes, etc.

Lets get started:
10/14/13

SGHP
135x3
145x3
155x3
165x3
175x3
185x1
195x1
205x1

Clusters w 185
7 reps
7 reps
5 reps

HDL - 5/4/3/3 reverse ladders with 145, 3 sets

Cable curls: 3 sets of 12

BB Curls: 3 sets of 8

Crunches x 60

Cool. I’ve been reading his layering stuff, but have some health issues that have been keeping me from turning it up to 11. I look forward to following.

[quote]OldOgre wrote:
I have tried to keep a log in the other section and they keep shutting down after a few weeks and I am unable to post on them.

[/quote]
That’s T Nation’s way of encouraging you to move to the Old Folks Home (aka O35).

Welcome!

Welcome, Ogre.

Looking forward to following this

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

[quote]OldOgre wrote:
I have tried to keep a log in the other section and they keep shutting down after a few weeks and I am unable to post on them.

[/quote]
That’s T Nation’s way of encouraging you to move to the Old Folks Home (aka O35).

Welcome![/quote]

That thought did cross my mind. It may also have something to do with me not ordering any products from them yet :slight_smile:

10/15/13
Thanks for the warm welcome.

BP slight incline

Ramp to max
135 warmup 3 sets of 8
155 x 3
165 x 3
175 x 3
185 x 3
205 x1
215 x 1
225 x 1
235 x 1 (new PR for me on this lift)

Clusters with 90% of 1RM (210)
10 seconds between reps, 2 minutes between sets.
7 reps
6 reps
5 reps

5/4/3/3 Reverse ladders with 70% of 1RM (165)
3 sets. 10 seconds between rep ladders, 2 minutes between sets.

Done. In and out in 50 minutes. Chest felt like my skin might split open. I had planned to do some tris today too, but there is no way.
I drank 1/2 of a 60g protein drink 30 minutes prior to lifting and the rest of it immediately after. I mixed 6g of creatine with 1 scoop of Gatorade and drank that while I lifted.

I am enjoying the layering method so far. Since I started it I have hit PRs on a regular basis on bench variations, squat and SGHP. I have had a hard time mixing deads in with it so I may start alternating weeks between squat and deadlift. The best part is (knock on wood) I have not gotten injured or felt burnt out at all. I think this system is effective and fairly safe relatively speaking. And just as I was starting to get a grasp on the set and rep scheme for this CT comes out with something new yesterday.

[quote]OldOgre wrote:

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

[quote]OldOgre wrote:
I have tried to keep a log in the other section and they keep shutting down after a few weeks and I am unable to post on them.[/quote]

Welcome![/quote]
That thought did cross my mind. It may also have something to do with me not ordering any products from them yet :slight_smile: [/quote]
Absolutely untrue.

Both of your previous logs are still open for posting.

If you’re unable to post in them, it’s a Tech issue, not a deliberate prohibition.

[quote]Mod Jump’N Jack wrote:

[quote]OldOgre wrote:

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

[quote]OldOgre wrote:
I have tried to keep a log in the other section and they keep shutting down after a few weeks and I am unable to post on them.[/quote]

Welcome![/quote]
That thought did cross my mind. It may also have something to do with me not ordering any products from them yet :slight_smile: [/quote]
Absolutely untrue.

Both of your previous logs are still open for posting.

If you’re unable to post in them, it’s a Tech issue, not a deliberate prohibition.[/quote]

I was kidding… But I really wasn’t able to post in those logs.

Squat
Ramp to max: 345

3x3 with 90% (310)

3 sets of max reps with 80% (275)
15 seconds between sets
7 reps
5 reps
4 reps

Solid squat work.

I’ve been mixing creatine with my “food” shake (I don’t have solids at work). I see you and a lot of other people mix it with their workout shake. Is there an advantage to it, or is it your only shake of the day and so you just throw it in?

[quote]corrmhona wrote:
I’ve been mixing creatine with my “food” shake (I don’t have solids at work). I see you and a lot of other people mix it with their workout shake. Is there an advantage to it, or is it your only shake of the day and so you just throw it in?[/quote]

I don’t know if mixing it in with the Gatorade I drink during lifting does anything special or not. The brand that I use suggests drinking it after lifting to aid in growth and recovery. I drink a protein drink after lifting so I really just do it this way out of convenience. I also drink a protein drink in the mornings with breakfast. They are 60g protein drinks so I am getting about 1/2 of my daily protein via shake. Don’t know if that is good or not?

You are still ahead of me, I’m probably getting two thirds or 3/4 on bad days. I will read the fine print on my creatine when I am back home. I was just reading your post and it dawned on me your not the first one I noticed used it peri-workout and wondered if I was missing something.

I have a separate workout shake with gatorade, but I only take it on days I work out, and wanted to keep the creatine levels consistent so I was putting it in the one I take daily. Thanks.

10/17/13

Push Press - Front
I don’t have a power cage so these are done off of my squat stand.
Cluster sets are replaced by 3x3 with 90%.

Ramp to max
135 - 3 sets of 3 warmup
145 x 3
155 x 3
165 x 3
175 x 1
185 x 1

3x3 with 90% (165)

3 sets of max reps with 70% +/- (135)
8 reps
7 reps
5 reps

Is that avatar Sylvester Stallone and Carl Weathers in a Rocky movie? Good work in here.

[quote]gorillavanilla wrote:
Is that avatar Sylvester Stallone and Carl Weathers in a Rocky movie? Good work in here.[/quote]

Close… That’s Arnold and Carls macho handshake off of Predator.

Fitting, I should have known it was Arnold considering the biceps development.

Missed a couple of days last week for some family stuff. Let’s get back at it!

SGHP

Ramp to max
135 x3
155 x 3
165 x 3
175 x 3
185 x 3
195 x 1
205 x 1

Cluster sets with 185
8 reps
7 reps
7 reps

5/4/3/3 reverse ladders with 145 for 3 sets

War Eagle

Is War Eagle the name of the above workout or yet another exercise I don’t know?