T Nation

Official World Cup 2006 Thread

[quote]alstan90 wrote:
eisenaffe wrote:
Don’t discount the “underdogs” like Ivory Coast and the “fighters” like Korea.

I hope Italy gets a good pounding this evening. Go Ghana!

Yeh I dont like the italians either. Shame ghana lost…[/quote]

But, it was a great game. That is football.

Croatia vs Brasil will be interesting.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
I’m curious if Ghana will beat Italy. Kinda like african soccer. Even if they really won’t stand a chance to win the Cup.

Nontheless, I’d like to stress that Germany is super motivated and will surely surprisea lot of guys here. We’re gonna take that title![/quote]

they need to sort out that defence first

Gentlemen, cast your vote:

How will the Brazil vs Croatia game turn out?

My prediction is 3:2 for Brazil.

I have ?50 on Mexico to win, but im also have ?10 on Holland and France too to cover my bets, which is really fooked cos I beleive Brazil will win???

Thats what madness comes from a lifetime of supporting Sheff Weds

I dont really like soccer, and I have no idea who is going to get the cup, but at least Australia won a game.

[quote]helga wrote:
I dont really like soccer, and I have no idea who is going to get the cup, but at least Australia won a game.[/quote]

GO THE AUSSIES!!!

3 goals in 8 minutes was unbelievable, Tim Cahill is a superstar!

Bring on Brazil, LOL!! We’re probably going to get hammered in that game, but at least we have a chance of getting second in the group. The 3-1 scoreline will help in goal difference as well.

Personally I think England are second favourites to Brazil. They have the attack but we have the defence - all four at the back are completely world class. Same goes for the midfield too, with arguably one of the best players in the world at the moment. Pele actually said that Gerrard has been the best player in the world over the last 5 years. Beckham has the crosses and a great understanding with Neville, and Joe Cole has the left side locked down. Brazil have an unbelievable attack but I believe they can be stopped and that we can score against them. Their defense isn’t the best and they are always left exposed. Last time when their attack was just as good, we were unlucky to lose to them and our team is a LOT better now. They basically play 2 centre backs with defensive midfielders Ze Roberto and Emerson hanging around while Cafu and Roberto Carlos are almost wingers. With the England attack and midfield, especially if Rooney returns on form, we can easily cause them problems.

Germany have no chance, their defence is pap IMO. Klinsmann is too attack minded and they just don’t have the talent.

Other contenders in my betting order would be: Argentina, France, Holland, Italy. Nobody else has a sniff of a chance of winning IMO and I think even Holland and Italy would be pushing it.I can only really see a Brazil v France or England v France final. We shall see, it’s been fantastic so far and I’m looking forward to watching 3 more games sat on my ass tomorrow!

I was at the US game. Pathetic and embarassing are the only two words I can use to describe it.

I think the safe bets in every world cup are still the safe bets to take it this year, but I think we may seem some fun play into the next round or two from Australia, Ecuador, or even the Ivory Coast if they can slide through.

Gentlemen, cast your vote:

How will the Brazil vs Croatia game turn out?

My prediction is 3:2 for Brazil. [/quote]

Like I stated in another thread, we’ll get trashed.

Hopefully, Klasnic or Prso will sneak a goal or two.

I fear they’ll exhaust themselves mentally against Brasil, underestimate Japan - “if the Aussies destroyed them, so can we” and end up collosally fucking up the remaining two group games.

4-1 for Brasil is realistic.

Although I wouldn’t mind a goalless draw…

I hope the American team loses so I don’t have to hear about this bullshit on tv anymore.

[quote]Julius_Caesar wrote:
I hope the American team loses so I don’t have to hear about this bullshit on tv anymore. [/quote]

I think that your prayers will be answered. (I hope you realise that Julius Caesar was European…you should change your name to Buffalo Bill or something.)

On a more intelligent note…I’m enjoying this world cup. I’m waiting for Ukraine vs Spain. I know Ukraine will get it’s ass kicked (Shevchenko cannot do it alone) but we here are hoping for a miracle anyway. Will be watching Brasil play with interest tonight.

I’m thinking that Germany is pretty hyped up being on home turf. It does help.
My favorite to win would be England. I’d just love to see their fans all go ape-shit and lose their fucking minds if they won.

[quote]bg100 wrote:
helga wrote:
I dont really like soccer, and I have no idea who is going to get the cup, but at least Australia won a game.

GO THE AUSSIES!!!

Bring on Brazil, LOL!! We’re probably going to get hammered in that game, but at least we have a chance of getting second in the group. The 3-1 scoreline will help in goal difference as well.[/quote]

HAHA! What a sweet game, Fed Square in Melb erupted when Cahill put the first one thru.

[quote]grey wrote:
Julius_Caesar wrote:
I hope the American team loses so I don’t have to hear about this bullshit on tv anymore.

I think that your prayers will be answered. (I hope you realise that Julius Caesar was European…you should change your name to Buffalo Bill or something.)

[/quote]

Romans were when Europeans were real men and not metrosexual pencil necks kicking a stupid soccer ball around.
America was founded on ROMAN tradtions anyway.

grey wrote:
Julius_Caesar wrote:

Romans were when Europeans were real men and not metrosexual pencil necks kicking a stupid soccer ball around.
[/quote]

Did you know that Julius Caesar during his entire political career couldn’t completely shake off the scandal with the king of Bithynia - Caesar allegedly seduced the king into giving the fleet to the Romans in one of the Asia Minor wars.

Also, more conservative aristocratic circles in Rome regularly attributed his political rise to stardom to him being a male prostitute for older, wealthy and influental citizens.

The popular saying in Rome at the time was: “Caesar, a man for every woman and a woman for every man”.

You should do some background check before you start making some idiotic comments about European metrosexuals and “real men” of antiquity…

[/quote]

Say what?

Ghana put up a good fight, but they just didn’t look like they had anything much in front of goal other than Essien hitting it from outside the box. Italy played well but were shaken by the intensity and strength of the Ghanaians. I expect Italy to improve and be a threat this world cup, they have so much talent.

Czech Republic were superb, Nedved bossed the game and Rosicky was a revelation (and he just signed for Arsenal for a bargain ?7M :). Trouble is they are short on attacking options, with Koller probably out for the rest of the tournament and Baros taking longer than expected to return from a foot injury. They seem to be a big game team though so they could do well.

Holland looked pretty good, Robben and Sneijder could take them a long way.

I’d love my boys England to go all the way, we certainly have a strong team. Eriksson just needs to find a way to get them to play effectively, and booting the ball over the top to Crouch constantly is not it - we have so much talent in midfield we can do better than that. Striking options are limited, Owen was rubbish on Sat, still doubt about Rooney’s match fitness, Crouch is ok but needs someone to play off him. Walcott is a child, bizarre decision to take him.
Still, England have the best midfield and defence in the world cup, a good goalkeeper and if Rooney comes back and Owen pulls his socks up we are looking like a VERY serious outfit.

This is getting very long so I’m going to gloss over the rest:

Germany: will get out of the group but I don’t expect them to go any further.

France: On paper very good but I think they will bottle it.

Brazil: Team to beat, nuff said.

Australia: outside chance of getting out of their group.

Argentina: realistic threat.

Mexico: Could do well, very organised outfit and in a relatively easy group.

Portugal: will come second in their group and not go any further than the last 16.

[quote]

Did you know that Julius Caesar during his entire political career couldn’t completely shake off the scandal with the king of Bithynia - Caesar allegedly seduced the king into giving the fleet to the Romans in one of the Asia Minor wars.

Also, more conservative aristocratic circles in Rome regularly attributed his political rise to stardom to him being a male prostitute for older, wealthy and influental citizens.

The popular saying in Rome at the time was: “Caesar, a man for every woman and a woman for every man”.

You should do some background check before you start making some idiotic comments about European metrosexuals and “real men” of antiquity…[/quote]

This is all just gossip and idle, feminine slander worked out by his policial enemies.

You should do some background check before you start making some idiotic comments about European metrosexuals and “real men” of antiquity…

This is all just gossip and idle, feminine slander worked out by his policial enemies.

[/quote]

Dear Mr. Troll, let us keep this thread tidy.

If you wish to engage in a discussion about America’s noble heritage, please do that in an appropriate thread.
The gentlemen here wish to further debate on the most manly sport of soccer.

Thank you for your cooperation-
Schwarzfahrer

Julius_Caesar wrote:

Dear Mr. Troll, let us keep this thread tidy.

If you wish to engage in a discussion about America’s noble heritage, please do that in an appropriate thread.
The gentlemen here wish to further debate on the most manly sport of soccer.

Thank you for your cooperation-
Schwarzfahrer

[/quote]

LOL

I hope the American team loses so I don’t have to hear about this bullshit on tv anymore. [/quote]

Nah, the guys who run our media love soccer. It won’t get much play though since Americans will quickly change the channel.

HH

[quote]bg100 wrote:
helga wrote:

GO THE AUSSIES!!!

Bring on Brazil, LOL!! We’re probably going to get hammered in that game, but at least we have a chance of getting second in the group. The 3-1 scoreline will help in goal difference as well.[/quote]

Croatia is the only country with 2 teams on this World Cup.
Croatia and “AUSSIES”.
(hehehehe)

@ lopar
Sad but realistic. I still hope Croatia can repeat friendly 1:1 last year, but again, I need to be realistic.