T Nation

Official De-Lurk

I’ve been reading T-Nation and following peoples progress on here for years and after unabashedly using your hard work for my motivation for so long, I feel like I should give a little back. :slight_smile:

I’m 5’4", about 127 pounds now. I’ve been working on losing weight and putting on muscle since about a year after I graduated high school, seven years ago (26 now). I was, at my heaviest, 160 pounds (which, on a 5’4" frame with no muscle was pretty chunky). I really got into lifting about four years ago. When I started I couldn’t deadlift my body weight. I had to put 25lbs on each end of the bar, and it was a dang hard workout. I couldn’t squat the bar correctly, couldn’t do a single pull-up or dip, and could bench around 95lbs (which I thought was really great, at the time).

This past April I competed in my first ever powerlifting competition here in Alaska (within the 132lb class). I squatted 188, benched 116 (failed on my 130, although I’d done it before), and deadlifted 258, all raw.

My goal is to compete, raw, in the next meet in November within the 123lb class and qualify for Nationals, which means, in the USAPL, a 640lb total. As I had a 568lb total at my first meet, and I have changed from a conventional deadlift to the sumo, which I apparently am WAY stronger at, I feel this is a really reasonable goal.

As far as my diet goes… This is a work in progress. I have found through trial and error that I do not do well on no carb diets, but I also don’t lose weight when I just let myself eat what I want. I maintain really well that way, but don’t lose a pound. :slight_smile: For the past eight months or more I have been very consistent with my diet, and it seems to be working well (as I’ve put on a good amount of muscle and lost over 10 pounds). I’m not starving myself, as that really screws with my weight workouts.

For the past five months I’ve been following a 5-3-1 format (four workouts a week). I do about forty minutes of steady state cardio five times a week. I also just added in a direct arm day a few months ago. Until the start of this 5-3-1 program I had never really worked bench, and I didn’t really get serious about it until I decided to do a powerlifting competition. I also just recently switched from training front squats to working on my back squat, and switch my conventional deadlift to sumo for a while, so we’ll see how that all goes.

I have pictures in my profile for those of you who need evidence of the progress already made (and because I know everyone needs a face/body to go with the story). :slight_smile:
Anyways, I hope you enjoy following along, and I’m looking forward to getting to know some of the amazing women on here that I’ve been following for a while.

This week is the beginning of another round of 5-3-1
My workout this afternoon is the first of the four per week:
Deadlifts (my favorite day) :slight_smile:

Warm-up: 3 sets of 135 for 5, 1 set at 140x5, 1 set at 155x5
Work sets: (One set each of the following)
165x5
180x5
190x5
205x5
220x12

Auxilary work included glute hams, lunges, and ab work (my husband just loves the ab work). I just switched to sumo last month, and I’m finding my theoretical max may have been a little low… I added 12 pounds this month and the workout today was much easier than I was expecting (still a great workout, and my hamstrings are already hurting). If this month goes as easily as today predicts I can add another 10 pounds next month. :slight_smile: Yay!

And tomorrow… bench press! :slight_smile: This is not my favorite day, but I’m beginning to really appreciate it. Where deadlift and squat day can almost destroy you, bench day is almost refreshing. :slight_smile:

Good luck! Nice to see you finally coming around and posting. Your husband is a lucky man. That is all.

Thank you. :slight_smile: I think my husband agrees with you, most of the time. I can occasionally be what he terms “difficult”… :wink:

I had a great morning ignoring the fact that I have work to do and watching powerlifting videos. :slight_smile: Now, off to bench…

you definitely have a lot of muscle mass now…looking forwarding to following your log

Bench workout today. :slight_smile:

Warmup sets: 5 rep’s each of 55, 60, 70, 75, 80

Work sets:
90x5
95x5
100x5
110x5
115x6

Auxilary work:
Kroc Rows - 25lbs x 20 for 2 sets, 30lbs x 20, 35lbs x 16 (this was the first time I’ve ever done these. and they were… Fun. Yes, with a capital “F”.)

Wide grip, seated cable row - 60x12, 65x12, 75x12
supersetted with straight arm pull-downs - 30x12, 40x12, 50x12

Fly’s - 20x12, 25x12, 25x10 (this was a PR for me on fly’s. I know not very exciting, but I’ve never gone over twenty pounds for these in the month I’ve been doing them after bench).

Overall everything felt great, and I’ve got that nice post-workout high (now that I’ve got some food in me). And now… recovery. and grocery shopping. and work. and laundry. :slight_smile: Exciting, I know…

Welcome! Just checked your pics - you look fantastic!

Nice training, you’ve def got some strength there. 12x220 DL is ridic!

Looking forward to following along.

You look great!

I’m envious at your level of leanness. Not to mention you are also STRONG! That’s the best combination :slight_smile:

WOW!!! Purty tattoos and purty lifitng :)!
nice to see you! i’m looking forward to your log and progress :stuck_out_tongue:

and good luck to you in your competitive training! that’s awesome :slight_smile:

Thank you to everyone so far for the great welcome and all the compliments.

I have been working at this for a while (trying to figure out my diet and change habits for years) and I feel like I’ve made continual progress, although there were definitely ups and downs, injuries, etc. I have really made a lot of progress in the weight loss department in the last ~8 months. I think I’ve lost ~10 pounds of weight, and gotten stronger, in that time. I’ve never been what anyone would reasonably call “lean” before (so thank you so much, mom-in-MD) :slight_smile:
I realized I was making noticable progress and getting smaller when I received my first “skinny bitch” comment a few months ago. My company had an office wide meeting, and there has to be food at these meetings, right? And what do they serve but Sundaes… that’s right, eight different types of ice cream, multiple toppings, cherries, the whole shi-bang… So I’m sitting at a table with co-workers, it’s meal time, and I pull out my chicken, broccoli, asparagus, and cranberry sauce (for the chicken). Inevitably someone has to comment on my broccoli (because apparently eating broccoli makes you “hard core”). After the round of “Why don’t you have ice cream? You’re not fat.” one of my coworkers who’s worked with me before says something to the effect that “don’t worry about her, she eats constantly.” (which I do… I constantly eat broccoli and asparagus. all day.) And then she follows that jewel by the brilliant comment, “I could eat that much too if I was a skinny bitch.” So… apparently I have elevated myself to “skinny bitch” status. It was an interesting day for me. I never knew I was genetically gifted. I always assumed it was all the hard work we put in that allowed us to look good and be lean and have defined muscles. Damn. If I’d know it was just genetics (that apparently didn’t decide to kick in until my mid-twenties) I would have just eaten all the friggin’ ice cream, cookies, pizza, cake, etc that I’d wanted during the last seven years and been happy knowing my “skinny bitch” gene would just kick in later in life. All those years wasted…

Stupid…

Never mind the fact that what she would eat constantly is Carl’s Junior and Taco Bell… not broccoli and asparagus… grrr… stupid people annoy me.

Okay. end rant.

Welcome! I’ll look forward to following your training.

[quote]Frzn_Arctc wrote:
If I’d know it was just genetics (that apparently didn’t decide to kick in until my mid-twenties) I would have just eaten all the friggin’ ice cream, cookies, pizza, cake, etc that I’d wanted during the last seven years and been happy knowing my “skinny bitch” gene would just kick in later in life. All those years wasted…

Stupid…[/quote]

Entertaining rant. I get a variant of “skinny bitch” alot. Never mind that I don’t get to eat what I want (mmmm…baked goods) and bust my ass in the gym. Honestly, I just laugh it off.

[quote]kimbakimba wrote:
Welcome! I’ll look forward to following your training.

[quote]Frzn_Arctc wrote:
If I’d know it was just genetics (that apparently didn’t decide to kick in until my mid-twenties) I would have just eaten all the friggin’ ice cream, cookies, pizza, cake, etc that I’d wanted during the last seven years and been happy knowing my “skinny bitch” gene would just kick in later in life. All those years wasted…

Stupid…[/quote]

Entertaining rant. I get a variant of “skinny bitch” alot. Never mind that I don’t get to eat what I want (mmmm…baked goods) and bust my ass in the gym. Honestly, I just laugh it off.

[/quote]

Me too. After a short time of being astounded at such a display of brilliance, I realized that it was really a compliment, and moved on. :slight_smile: Well, almost moved on , apparently, since I still wanted to rant about it. :wink:

I just hate that so many people have that mind set. I get that all the time in martial arts too. “Wow. You can do “insert whatever thing here” so well. You are really gifted.” No. I’m not gifted. I work my ass off. I train, I hurt, I choose to do this rather than other things that I also enjoy. But everyone who’s good at something, exceptional in some way, must be gifted. Because if you weren’t, then it would mean that the lazy SOB who’s telling you that you’re gifted could actualy accomplish it as well, and doesn’t only because of their own lack of trying, or by choice in some way. Granted, there are definitely exceptions. shrugs I was complimented that someone thought I was lean enough to constitute a “skinny bitch”, but I was also disheartened, because I hate the fact that all our hard work can be shrugged off because we’re “special” and everyone else either can’t accomplish what we’re doing, or it would be way harder for them. But there’s really nothing to be done about it, and it doesn’t actually effect my life, other than annoying me. :wink: throws hands in the air in surrender

lol. And I considered not actually posting the bit about the ice cream and the baked goods, considering the incredible diets some of you are on… But I felt it added to the story. :wink: Now… back to my chicken…

Awesome deadlifter’s booty, killer legs, great muscle shape and definition and a smile that would melt ice.

And great training of course!

Hope you don’t mind if I follow along :slight_smile:

You are hawt and strong and I’m glad you have decided to unlurkify yourself and join the ranks of our logs! Can’t wait to keep up.

Great abs and tatts (love the sleeve) - good luck with your powerlifting!

welcome you hottie. I join the chorus by saying I look forward to your training logs.

Welcome, and I’m looking forward to seeing how it goes.