Official 06-07 College BBall Thread

First pre-season game for the Huskies is this Wednesday night against American International (joyous). I’m splitting season tix again with my Dad, taking all of the games on campus and he’s taking all of the ones at the Civic Center.

So, we’re starting at #18 in the ESPN/Coaches Poll (not bad given all the players we lost). Glad to see the Big East very well-represented in the Top 25 and while I will hate them come the season, it’s almost kind of nice to see Georgetown back as a “real” team again.

I’m hoping we get back to a little bit of this:

OK, represent bitches. Who ya rooting for? Show some love.

They might as well not even play this season because UNC has assembled such a ridiculous mass of talent this year that they will surely crush all of the opposition into dirt… well, unless they have to play GMU again haha.

Last year’s fantastic freshman class of Hansborough, Frasor and Ginyard joined with this year’s #1 recruiting class featuring Lawson, Ellington and Wright- not to mention senior Rayshawn Terry providing some solid play at the forward position. UNC’s gonna be be deep and I think they definitly have a very good chance to take it all this year.

Florida is gonna be real tough, but I just feel a letdown coming for them, everything came together for them at tournament time last year and I don’t think they’re going to have a magical season again. At least I hope not…

I can’t wait though, college basketball is my favorite sport to watch and follow.

We will take two out of three, thank you very much.

Starting out out at a well deserved number 2 pre-season ranking, it is only a matter of time, Florida loses a game. UNC will be the top team in the country for the rest of the season.

Our non-conference games include Kentucky on 12/2/06 at Chapel Hill and Arizona on 1/27/07 at their place. I think the Heels will sweep the Duke games this season which means plenty of trash talking in my office.

Tar Heel Power!!

UNC is looking very tough this year, no doubt. My Huskies are incredibly young, so it ought to make for an “interesting” season if nothing else. We’re probably a year away from making a much bigger impact, but sometimes the youngsters play above where everyone thinks they should be since they don’t know any better (Fab 5 anyone?).

I keep waiting for the first damn Duke fan to infilitrate this thread. A position on them is probably the one thing the 3 current posters to the thread can agree on…

[quote]Kuz wrote:
I keep waiting for the first damn Duke fan to infilitrate this thread. A position on them is probably the one thing the 3 current posters to the thread can agree on…[/quote]

Haha you got that right. Duke-UNC games are always a source of about a week’s worth of trash-talking between me and a buddy of mine who’s a Duke diehard.

Went to the first UConn exhibition game of the season last night up in Storrs. Wow. That was some truly UGLY basketball at times, but I suppose that is not entirely surprising for
a) a first game; and
b) a team with ZERO juniors or seniors (except for 2 walk-ons).

The team has a lot of speed and athleticism, but boy they are not clicking together yet. The biggest problem was the passing and rebounding. Passes were sailing to and fro or off people’s hands and there was a decided lack of boxing out.

And all this against a Division II school! Ay yi yi. Here’s to hoping a little time to mature will do the team good…

Thats hard to judge from the first game Kuz. I remember we used to struggle big time in our first couple of games. You often overdo things and try to do too much. I hve to think Calhoun will get these boys straightened out ok before the regular season starts. Of course they will still be no match for my Heels.

A

[quote]Kuz wrote:
Went to the first UConn exhibition game of the season last night up in Storrs. Wow. That was some truly UGLY basketball at times, but I suppose that is not entirely surprising for
a) a first game; and

The team has a lot of speed and athleticism, but boy they are not clicking together yet. The biggest problem was the passing and rebounding. Passes were sailing to and fro or off people’s hands and there was a decided lack of boxing out.

And all this against a Division II school! Ay yi yi. Here’s to hoping a little time to mature will do the team good…[/quote]

Representin from the toughest hoops conference ever…

Once Paul Harris gets used to things, look out! The 'Cuse will be making noise come March.

DB

A - That’s a fair point, it’s just a little distressing to see against a D-2 school. lol There is a lot of season to go, but it is just such an incredibly inexperienced team. There is some real talent there, but very very raw. Heck, our best player is probably AJ Price and last night was his first “real” game at UConn.

And as much as I hate to admit it, my Huskies would have a verrry tough time against the Heels (at least this year).

[quote]Amsterdam Animal wrote:
Thats hard to judge from the first game Kuz. I remember we used to struggle big time in our first couple of games. You often overdo things and try to do too much. I hve to think Calhoun will get these boys straightened out ok before the regular season starts. Of course they will still be no match for my Heels.

A

Kuz wrote:
a) a first game; and

And all this against a Division II school! Ay yi yi. Here’s to hoping a little time to mature will do the team good…

[/quote]

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:

Once Paul Harris gets used to things, look out! The 'Cuse will be making noise come March.

DB[/quote]

I used to live in (and root for) Syracuse before moving to CT. What a frozen tundra! I am looking forward to seeing UConn/SU up in Storrs this season.

I agree that the Big East is about as tough as any conference possibly can be, especially this year. The biggest downer is with its size, you lose the home-and-home opportunities against all of your traditional rivals. The fact UConn only plays G-town once this year is sad.

How about a little west coast love here. The Bruins opened up tonight against Cal Poly Pomona and waxed the Broncos 73-43. Personally I think UCLA is gonna make another run at both the Pac-10 title and a deep tourney run.

Not that you boys care but my UC Riverside Highlanders are gonna be playing the Bruins on the 3rd of Dec. so anyone on the west with FSN look out for me on the bench. I’ll be the incredibly good looking black guy handing out water and towels.

UNC will be cutting down the nets.

[quote]Kuz wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:

DB

I used to live in (and root for) Syracuse before moving to CT. What a frozen tundra! I am looking forward to seeing UConn/SU up in Storrs this season.

I agree that the Big East is about as tough as any conference possibly can be, especially this year. The biggest downer is with its size, you lose the home-and-home opportunities against all of your traditional rivals. The fact UConn only plays G-town once this year is sad.[/quote]

I agree that it really sucks. We don’t even play Seton Hall this year (wtf) and last year we played UConn, L’ville and Cincy 2x, while someone like Rutgers played SHU, ND and Providence 2x.

Even though the competition top-bottom with the current setup is frightening, I thought it was a better conference in the 80s/early 90s when everyone played home/away and they all made the conf. tourney - at least when it came to entertainment.

DB

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

[quote]gotoheel wrote:
UNC will be cutting down the nets.[/quote]

Are ya sure? I mean… Winthrop???

Season over. Thank you all for attending our victory party.

Ok. I might catch some shit for this. I’m a Kansas State Wildcat fan. I bleed purple. I know we have been a sorry excuse for a basketball team for a long time now, but this year we have Bob Huggins and things should start to turn around. He has brought in some great talent. Manhattan is buzzing.

Did you mean he paid to bring in some great talent?

[quote]sundevil65 wrote:
Ok. I might catch some shit for this. I’m a Kansas State Wildcat fan. I bleed purple. I know we have been a sorry excuse for a basketball team for a long time now, but this year we have Bob Huggins and things should start to turn around. He has brought in some great talent. Manhattan is buzzing. [/quote]

[quote]sundevil65 wrote:
Ok. I might catch some shit for this. I’m a Kansas State Wildcat fan. I bleed purple. I know we have been a sorry excuse for a basketball team for a long time now, but this year we have Bob Huggins and things should start to turn around. He has brought in some great talent. Manhattan is buzzing. [/quote]

Manhattan isn’t buzzing. It’s just that Bob Huggins is buzzed, and you misconstrued it. Honest mistake, it’s okay.

I used to play against them, they were in the Big South. Even though they have come a long way and have played and beaten some tough teams the last few years, it is no excuse as to what UNC did. I actually was kinda hoping they would lose. I dont mind having these young kids learn a bit about humility.

A

[quote]Kuz wrote:
gotoheel wrote:
UNC will be cutting down the nets.

Are ya sure? I mean… Winthrop???[/quote]