Officer Fired Over Poor Fitness

[u]Hearing ends for Bellevue officer fired over fitness[/u]
Several Bellevue police officers testified Friday that even though they had not met some of the Police Department’s fitness requirements, they were not disciplined under the same policy that cost Officer Chris Parent his job.

A two-day hearing to determine if Parent will get his job back concluded Friday. The five-member Bellevue Civil Service Commission has 10 days to decide whether to uphold the termination.

Parent, 51, was fired Nov. 28 after an internal investigation determined he had not maintained a “high level of physical, mental and emotional conditioning.”

Lt. Mark Elbert said Parent, whose 2005-issued Nebraska driver’s license lists him at 5-foot-9 and 300 pounds, was fired under the first paragraph of the policy that requires officers to be physically fit and describes the physical demands expected of a police officer.

In the appeal, Parent’s attorneys argue that his termination violated the law because it was not made in good faith, was “arbitrary and capricious” and was made for political or religious reasons.

Officers are required to maintain at least a “fair” level of fitness based on standards in the department’s wellness manual that award points for various physical activities.

During the appeal hearing, Parent’s lawyers referred to a fitness log that showed Parent’s point total was above the minimum number.

All but one of the officers who testified Friday said they had not accumulated enough points to reach the criteria for “fair.”

Michael Polk, an attorney representing the city, said introducing the wellness points amounted to bringing in a technicality.

Parent’s firing, Polk said, stems from his poor performance during an Aug. 28 combat shooting exercise, which prompted the officers to report him to the command staff.

Polk also read from a doctor’s assessment that said if Parent remained a police officer he would put the public, other officers and himself at risk.

Officer Parent, meet Chris Shugart and the Velocity Diet…

Of course he and all police officers should maintain a descent level of fitness, but if a department is going to set a standard, it has to be applied equally to all officers. I would also expect his superiors to issue officer Parent a warning when it became obvious that he didn’t meet the minimum standards and give him a set period of time like 6 months to get in shape for a re-test. It sounds to me like one of his higher ups had something against him and pulled this excuse to fire him out of the book. Whatever the case, good luck to him.

I wonder what his vertical jump is.Or 40 yard sprint.Or how many chins in a row.

[quote]BALBO wrote:
Or how many chins in a row.[/quote]

I can see three or maybe four.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
Of course he and all police officers should maintain a descent level of fitness, but if a department is going to set a standard, it has to be applied equally to all officers. I would also expect his superiors to issue officer Parent a warning when it became obvious that he didn’t meet the minimum standards and give him a set period of time like 6 months to get in shape for a re-test. It sounds to me like one of his higher ups had something against him and pulled this excuse to fire him out of the book. Whatever the case, good luck to him.[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking. He’s been sacked for something other than his fitness levels probably but the issue should have been dealt with a long time ago before they guy got so out of shape. Bit of a hatchet job seemingly.

[quote]Renton wrote:
Uncle Gabby wrote:
Of course he and all police officers should maintain a descent level of fitness, but if a department is going to set a standard, it has to be applied equally to all officers. I would also expect his superiors to issue officer Parent a warning when it became obvious that he didn’t meet the minimum standards and give him a set period of time like 6 months to get in shape for a re-test. It sounds to me like one of his higher ups had something against him and pulled this excuse to fire him out of the book. Whatever the case, good luck to him.

Exactly what I was thinking. He’s been sacked for something other than his fitness levels probably but the issue should have been dealt with a long time ago before they guy got so out of shape. Bit of a hatchet job seemingly.

[/quote]

Yeah. Seems like a pretext in this case. But also seems that the standards are fucked and should be more rigorous.

They fired him for robbing a Krispy Kreme.

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
BALBO wrote:
Or how many chins in a row.

I can see three or maybe four. [/quote]

Yeah,in his sleep maybe.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
But also seems that the standards are fucked and should be more rigorous. [/quote]

Seriously. Officers must maintain a “fair” physical fitness status. What constitutes “fair?” If I remember correctly, for our class surveys at the end of each semester, “fair” was listed as worse than “average.”

Now I understand why it was so easy to run from the cops when a high school party was broken up.

I’m glad this guy got fired. I am attempting to join the police force at the moment and I know that once you get it and are in the field I’ve heard they never physical test again. Which is sad. I’m not the most fit person but I am getting there. These guys should be fired, the only problem is most agencies in the Seattle area (where I am from) have such a shortage of officers that this will never happen.

Also on a better note when I tested for the Seattle Police force one of the guys giving the test was ripped like whoa. Maybe he reads the forums.

Also police like this guy that got fired give everyone else a bad name.

[quote]Outrage247 wrote:
I’m glad this guy got fired. I am attempting to join the police force at the moment and I know that once you get it and are in the field I’ve heard they never physical test again. Which is sad. I’m not the most fit person but I am getting there. These guys should be fired, the only problem is most agencies in the Seattle area (where I am from) have such a shortage of officers that this will never happen.

Also on a better note when I tested for the Seattle Police force one of the guys giving the test was ripped like whoa. Maybe he reads the forums.

Also police like this guy that got fired give everyone else a bad name. [/quote]

I agree but only to a degree.

Given the stipulations laid down in the police code then yes he is far too out of shape and should be dealt with as such.

But - As you say yourself, other officers once in the force are not tested. This is inequality. All should be tested or none and the punishments should be the same no matter who is being tested.

As far as giving everyone a bad name - he could have been an absolutely shit hot cop (although for some reason I doubt it). Without seeing a conviction record who has the right to judge?

I still say it’s a hatchet job. Somebody in command didn’t like the guy for one reason or another and that’s why they got shut. It does show the corruption at work though as not everyone is treated the same.

That guys getting a raw deal. Fire all the guys that don’t meet the requirements, or give him his job back.

Hell, even where I live, I know a guy that was 40lbs overweight, and the department gave him 10 weeks to lose the weight (without pay, but still, he lost the weight and kept his job).

Damn, hes big.
All but one of the officers who testified Friday said they had not accumulated enough points to reach the criteria for “fair.”

So theres others like him, but hes the only one to get fired.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
But also seems that the standards are fucked and should be more rigorous.

Seriously. Officers must maintain a “fair” physical fitness status. What constitutes “fair?” If I remember correctly, for our class surveys at the end of each semester, “fair” was listed as worse than “average.”

Now I understand why it was so easy to run from the cops when a high school party was broken up.[/quote]

fair" physical fitness status? answer = finishing a box of donuts in under ten minutes.lol.

the swede

[quote]Squiggles wrote:
That guys getting a raw deal. Fire all the guys that don’t meet the requirements, or give him his job back.

Hell, even where I live, I know a guy that was 40lbs overweight, and the department gave him 10 weeks to lose the weight (without pay, but still, he lost the weight and kept his job). [/quote]

Hi Squiggles :wink:

WOW! In Massachusetts the police are quite (overly) protected by their unions. There are many very overweight cops, and typically when you are 75+ lbs overweight you will be the screw up…

Coulda been a hatchet job- they wanted him gone, and used the “fat thing” as an excuse, but it is very interesting.

If lives depend on him being able to do his job, his weight is an issue. Too bad this is not obvious in most towns/cities.

My husband is a cop, so we speak about this topic frequently. The majority of “first responders” are not physically fit, in fact most are overweight, sleep deprived, and poorly nourished. Which is a shame.

I think it is imperative upon each department to uphold a standard and provide the tools and incentives to maintain even AVERAGE fitness levels.

LOL.

This reminded me of a time at school when two public safety officers, me, and about 5 other kids were waiting for an elevator in a ten story building. The first elevator finally came after about 90 seconds of waiting, packed full of kids. They got out, and everyone went to walk in, when one of the officers said “Sorry guys, wait for the next one, we have a medical emergency.”

Fucking fatasses couldnt run up the stairs to get to this “medical emergency.”

Unfuckinbeleivable.

Fat is the new fit.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
Of course he and all police officers should maintain a descent level of fitness, but if a department is going to set a standard, it has to be applied equally to all officers. I would also expect his superiors to issue officer Parent a warning when it became obvious that he didn’t meet the minimum standards and give him a set period of time like 6 months to get in shape for a re-test. It sounds to me like one of his higher ups had something against him and pulled this excuse to fire him out of the book. Whatever the case, good luck to him.[/quote]

As soon as he was 20 pounds overweight it would have been extremely obvious that he was not in good enough shape to be a cop. Interesting and ironic that they waited until he was 100 - 130 lbs overweight to say he isn’t in good enough shape. Sounds like not only he needs to be fired, but the guy that fired him needs to be fired too.