T Nation

Off to Oz, Help?

Hey everyone, well I’ve totally changed my plans in life and decided to head off for Australia in April for two years. Ive got my working visa passed, a bank account set up so now I’m in the research stage of “things to do and see” and I’m looking advice and tips from people that’s been. Like what would you recommend I do or go to see? Anything you wished you had done or wished you hadn’t???

Thanks Neil.

[quote]irvs wrote:
Hey everyone, well I’ve totally changed my plans in life and decided to head off for Australia in April for two years. Ive got my working visa passed, a bank account set up so now I’m in the research stage of “things to do and see” and I’m looking advice and tips from people that’s been. Like what would you recommend I do or go to see? Anything you wished you had done or wished you hadn’t???

Thanks Neil.
[/quote]

I’ve got nothing for you but please say hello to Emma George, Tatiana Gregorgreiva, that hurdler chick and Nemo for me. Thanks.

I moved to Oz from the UK 3 years ago.

Things to see, well the obvious Sydney opera house, the bridge.

Melbourne is great for culture on the upside but the downside is it’s full of hipsters.

Brisbane and the Gold Coast for the beach bunnies.

Darwin for Crocodiles.

Perth for loads of English people and shark attacks.

Northern Territory for all the petrol you can sniff, Uluru and Broome (which is awesome for backpackers, e.g. easy shagging ;))

Hobart for good scenery and bad drivers.

Things to remember. It’s really expensive. 6 pack of 375ml bottles of beer will knock you 16-19 dollars. A pint anywhere from 9-15 dollars and steak is cheaper than bread.

I was expecting to read about the wizard of OZ but this is cool too…

Fuck yeah, Australia. What a sick place to live. Go see some proper football. Should be some great AFL games kicking off around the country

Watch out for the drop bears.

[quote]cstratton2 wrote:
I was expecting to read about the wizard of OZ but this is cool too… [/quote]

I came to make the joke that if he ever gets lost he can just click his heels three times.

[quote]irvs wrote:
Hey everyone, well I’ve totally changed my plans in life and decided to head off for Australia in April for two years. Ive got my working visa passed, a bank account set up so now I’m in the research stage of “things to do and see” and I’m looking advice and tips from people that’s been. Like what would you recommend I do or go to see? Anything you wished you had done or wished you hadn’t???

Thanks Neil.
[/quote]

Uhh… got any more specific plans? I mean, it’s kind of a big place. Know anyone here? Know what city you want to live in? Have a debilitating fear of any particular animals?

I’ll just say, it’s probably more expensive that you’re expecting.

[quote]Cimmerian wrote:
I’ll just say, it’s probably more expensive that you’re expecting.[/quote]

Which is insane because when I went over (early 2000s), it was $3 to the pound!

You were literally tripling your money.

Still had to pick a shitload of fruit while I was there to keep myself going!

OP, don’t take on any fruitpicking jobs. You will get royally shafted.

[quote]Cimmerian wrote:

[quote]irvs wrote:
Hey everyone, well I’ve totally changed my plans in life and decided to head off for Australia in April for two years. Ive got my working visa passed, a bank account set up so now I’m in the research stage of “things to do and see” and I’m looking advice and tips from people that’s been. Like what would you recommend I do or go to see? Anything you wished you had done or wished you hadn’t???

Thanks Neil.
[/quote]

Uhh… got any more specific plans? I mean, it’s kind of a big place. Know anyone here? Know what city you want to live in? Have a debilitating fear of any particular animals?

I’ll just say, it’s probably more expensive that you’re expecting.[/quote]

Every single animal and insect here can kill you. Bring bug spray and a big hat

Things to avoid.

Massive cyclones, floods and hard winds.

Local australians that think they’re god gift, see that thailand aussie who shags trannies

Local wildlife and bugs. Need I say more?

Avoid taking on an accent, you’ll regret it unless you want to fuck slags who are on their gap year. especially slags from southern England on their “GAP YAR”

Haha lads banging chicks is always top of the list of things to do. Well I’m planning on getting my 2nd year visa so I pretty much have to do the whole fruit picking scene, plus I’m no stranger to hard work. Will be fun picking fruit looking ripped for the ladies :wink:

I’m starting in Perth and luckily have a mate there to help me along my way, I’m planning on working my way across up and down round and round to Sydney as I’ve a few mates live there I can eventually hook up with.

It’s the whole in-between Perth and Sydney I need ideas with!!! Though on a side note ill be bringing my bike with me, I race downhill mountain bikes and have already got this years races looked up.

Neil.

Check the toilet before taking a dump

[quote]irvs wrote:
It’s the whole in-between Perth and Sydney I need ideas with!!! Though on a side note ill be bringing my bike with me, I race downhill mountain bikes and have already got this years races looked up. [/quote]

Probably check out Adelaide for that.

Anyway, piece of news I read this morning. Sydney is apparently the world’s 3rd most expensive city.

[quote]238 wrote:
Watch out for the drop bears.[/quote]

I think they mostly just attack asians.

[quote]irvs wrote:

ill be bringing my bike with me, I race downhill mountain bikes and have already got this years races looked up.

Neil. [/quote]

You are FUCKED!

What the hell is a “drop bear”???
I’ve no problem with crazy killer insects etc, my mate has had bloody every kind of crazy animal from cockroaches to crocodiles and I’ve handled all of them.

Aye everyone has said Sydney is dam expensive but really it’s only as expensive as you make it. I’m pretty good with money and do plan on working a good bit, restaurants, bars, shops etc. best thing about those jobs is lots of chicks work them also hehe, I’m an electrician but DON’T plan on going to a site for work unless I really need a job.

What’s up with racing the bikes harrypotter???

Neil.

[quote]irvs wrote:
What the hell is a “drop bear”???
I’ve no problem with crazy killer insects etc, my mate has had bloody every kind of crazy animal from cockroaches to crocodiles and I’ve handled all of them.
[/quote]

Drop bears look a lot like koalas but are carnivorous. As the name suggests they get their food by dropping down from trees onto their targets, much like a bird swooping down on a lizard or something. Them claws and teeth are pretty sharp.

[quote]238 wrote:

[quote]irvs wrote:
What the hell is a “drop bear”???
I’ve no problem with crazy killer insects etc, my mate has had bloody every kind of crazy animal from cockroaches to crocodiles and I’ve handled all of them.
[/quote]

Drop bears look a lot like koalas but are carnivorous. As the name suggests they get their food by dropping down from trees onto their targets, much like a bird swooping down on a lizard or something. Them claws and teeth are pretty sharp.[/quote]

Australia’s ninth biggest killer. I wasn’t allowed to walk from school alone till I was 10

[quote]irvs wrote:

What’s up with racing the bikes harrypotter???

Neil.
[/quote]

You’ll know when you come across a snake dangling out of a tree.

You’ll know when you come across a spiders web and the spider makes its way down your neck

You’ll know when you fall off and go down a embankment and into a rather large salty.

CRIKEY!