Off-Season Training Split

Quick question…

I usually do a body part split similar to the bodybuilding workouts…I know its not the best for athletic improvement but I’ve been using it successfully for almost 2 years now.

I’m going into my third year of college football and we just got a new strength coach. He has created an upper body / lower body split 4 days a week. I’m glad that my school finally decided to get some direction in the weight room and I’m going to follow his program. However, would it be possible to throw in my own 5th day? I asked the new coach and he said absolutely not, but I feel I could work my upper body another day during the week. Something similar to this:

Monday: Upper
Tuesday: Lower
Wednesday: Off
Thursday: Upper
Friday: Lower
Saturday: Upper *(5th Day)
Sunday: Off

I do push myself as hard as possible during each session, so let me know if this would be too much and hamper strength and size gains. Thanks for the input.

• E

I would add a 5th day for pre-hab/re-hab.

Why do you need a fifth day (3rd upper body day)?

If anything, I would make it an “easy” day and only do some light arm work for a “pump” if you’re looking for more show muscles. Keep the workout very short. Pick 2-3 exercises for biceps and triceps and do some supersets. Get in, get out, get pumped, go home and eat and rest.

Or just add some “beach muscle” workouts to the end of your two regular upper body workout days.

If you are going to follow somebody elses program, then follow their program. If your coach is knowledgable, then he probably has frequency, volume, intensity, load and rest already figured in.

If you add a workout without manipulating some of volume of the other ones, you’ll probably end up overtraining. In which case you’ll probably end up with diminished results or an overuse injury.

for the off-season, Bill Starr 5x5

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Why do you need a fifth day (3rd upper body day)?

If anything, I would make it an “easy” day and only do some light arm work for a “pump” if you’re looking for more show muscles. Keep the workout very short. Pick 2-3 exercises for biceps and triceps and do some supersets. Get in, get out, get pumped, go home and eat and rest.

Or just add some “beach muscle” workouts to the end of your two regular upper body workout days.[/quote]

I think I’ll just add a quick pump day like you’re saying…I have a really hard time staying out of the gym.

At least if you don’t see gains following your added day idea you’ll know what probably needs changing, huh?