Off-Season Lacrosse Program

I made this based on a WS type of template, but adjusted it. Comments/Suggestions would be appreciated.

Monday: Speed Day

• Sprints (10-30m sprints, varying starting positions)
  • Back Squat + Jump(broad, box, tuck) Complex
  • Calves
  • BW ab circuit

Wednesday: ME Upper

• ME Press (Regular Bench, CG, Floor Press)
  • Supplemental Press
  • Horizontal Pull
  • Shoulders
  • Curl Variation

Friday: ME Lower

• ME movement (Box Squat variation, Snatch Grip Dead)
  • Unilateral movement
  • GHR or 1-legged back raise
  • Heavy Ab

Saturday: BB Day (optional day, work on whatever needs it)

• Pullup Variation
  • Pushups
  • Arms
  • Grip
  • Calves
  • Neck

Looks alright, but if I was you I’d just do Westside for skinny bastards. Defranco has suited it to an athletes needs.

Good luck.

looks good, very similar to WS4SB, but I agree I’d just run w/ that program. Played lax in college (DII) and I see you don’t have a lot of back work in there, just one designated row exercise and one pullup variation on your optional day. Back is huge for shot power in lax, so that’s a consideration, other than that it looks pretty good.

Also, lax being a spring sport you should be in fairly decent shape still and I might drop the speed work and replace it with plyos or speed squats, if you’re playing over the summer you can maintain through participating in practices/games, but otherwise save your strength for building more strength.

Any other ?'s feel free to PM me and I’ll be more than happy to help you out.

I play box lacrosse, my season is from April to August.

You’re right about my program being short on back work. My original idea was to leave out some back work, but work on pullups daily. Not sure how effective that would be though…

There were 2 reasons why I didn’t just stick with WS4SB. First reason is because I believe the DE day should include sprints. Second reason is because I’m not sure if I’ll be able to get to the gym 4 days every week. I know there is also a 3-day program, but it feels bad to me when I work my upperbody more often than my lower.

With some of the logs on elitefts, I see that they sometimes group DE Lower with RE Upper. Maybe I could try that out.

There are definitely some problems with my program, but I have lots of time to correct them. When I make some changes I’ll post it again.

I figure it would be a good idea to write down my goals. This way you guys know exactly what I’m after. My off-season will be anywhere from 5 to 9 months long, depending on how far I get into the playoffs, and if I decide to play some field lacrosse at University.

I won’t list goals in order, cause that’s very difficult. My number one goal though is to get faster.

• Sprint Faster
  • Jump Higher
  • Weigh about 230 lbs lean(ie. gain 10-15 lbs)(last off-season I put on almost 30 lbs, which led to shin splints)
  • Improve Squat (current max: unknown, goal: 315x10?)
  • Improve Bench (current max: 225 prob, goal: 275)
  • Improve Pullups (current max: unknown, goal: 20 reps)
  • Improve Deadlift (current max: 455, goal: 500+)
  • Increase size of my Neck, Lower Legs, and Upper arms

I easily did a box squat below parallel with 295 about a week ago to give an idea of where my squat is. I’d guess I can do about 10 pullups right now (palms facing away). Obviously my deadlift is my best lift, so I’m not as worried about improving it.

I’m not sure if I’d be better off working towards being a better athlete in general, or trying to get specific to lacrosse. If I do decide to train specifically for lacrosse, the 3 things I can probably improve the most inside the gym are: Sprinting Speed, Cross Checking strength, and Shooting speed.

Anyways, I’m talking too much…

Make sure you work your rear delts, face pulls, DB cleans, band pullaparts etc.

[quote]vision1 wrote:
I figure it would be a good idea to write down my goals. This way you guys know exactly what I’m after. My off-season will be anywhere from 5 to 9 months long, depending on how far I get into the playoffs, and if I decide to play some field lacrosse at University.

I won’t list goals in order, cause that’s very difficult. My number one goal though is to get faster.

• Sprint Faster
  • Jump Higher
  • Weigh about 230 lbs lean(ie. gain 10-15 lbs)(last off-season I put on almost 30 lbs, which led to shin splints)
  • Improve Squat (current max: unknown, goal: 315x10?)
  • Improve Bench (current max: 225 prob, goal: 275)
  • Improve Pullups (current max: unknown, goal: 20 reps)
  • Improve Deadlift (current max: 455, goal: 500+)
  • Increase size of my Neck, Lower Legs, and Upper arms

I easily did a box squat below parallel with 295 about a week ago to give an idea of where my squat is. I’d guess I can do about 10 pullups right now (palms facing away). Obviously my deadlift is my best lift, so I’m not as worried about improving it.

I’m not sure if I’d be better off working towards being a better athlete in general, or trying to get specific to lacrosse. If I do decide to train specifically for lacrosse, the 3 things I can probably improve the most inside the gym are: Sprinting Speed, Cross Checking strength, and Shooting speed.

Anyways, I’m talking too much…[/quote]

Well, if your primary goal is truly to get faster you might want to consider getting stronger at your current body weight first. Gaining weight upwards of 230lb while simultaneously increasing your speed is a hard task(I’ve attempted it before). Considering you are only squatting a little over your body weight right now, I’d say you have a lot of improvement in your speed to be gained by just getting stronger and obviously doing sprints.

Also, I wouldn’t make getting bigger a specific goal but rather let that come along as the result of you accomplishing your other goals (increased performance foremost!).

Just some thoughts.

So I made some changes. Actually the entire set up is different.

I now have 4 different days, that I’ll rotate over a 3 day training week. All fullbody, 2 strength, and 2 speed/relative strength.

Monday: SPEED
Sprints
Back Squat + Jump Complex
Pushups (max reps in 5 minutes)(wtd eventually)
GHR
Abs

Wednesday: STRENGTH
Snatch Grip Deadlifts
Overhead Press
Wtd Pullups
Neck/Upper back superset
Calves

Friday: SPEED
Sprints
Back Squat + Jump Complex
Pullups (max reps in 5 minutes)
Calves
Abs

Monday: STRENGTH
Bench Press
Row
Lunges
Arms

Thoughts?

Forgot to mention, I’m 6’3, so 230 lbs isn’t much for my height. That being said, you’re 100% right about me needing to improve my squat.