T Nation

OFF Days

I personally believe that it’s best to do something everyday. When I take a complete day off I’m always physically strong BUT neurally un-activated after an off day. This always lead to less than stellar performances despite feeling good. In fact on some movements it can even be dangerous because you are very strong, but less coordinated. On high skill/high force movements (olympic lifting variations, high pulls…) this is not something you want!

So Even on off days I like to do some work that doesn’t create systemic fatigue. It can be a neural charge type of training or doing low stress lifting (e.g. biceps, calves and abs work) or even doing something like sprints would work.

Here is what I did this morning:

  1. 3 sets of 3 depth jumps

  2. Reverse hyper 3 sets of 6

  3. 3 sets of 3 depth jumps

  4. Pinch grip deadlift hold ramping up to max weight for 10 seconds

  5. 3 sets of 3 depth jumps

  6. Abs work

Right now I feel more energetic then I did comming into the workout and can’t wai to train tomorrow morning!

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
I personally believe that it’s best to do something everyday. When I take a complete day off I’m always physically strong BUT neurally un-activated after an off day. This always lead to less than stellar performances despite feeling good. In fact on some movements it can even be dangerous because you are very strong, but less coordinated. On high skill/high force movements (olympic lifting variations, high pulls…) this is not something you want!

So Even on off days I like to do some work that doesn’t create systemic fatigue. It can be a neural charge type of training or doing low stress lifting (e.g. biceps, calves and abs work) or even doing something like sprints would work.

Here is what I did this morning:

  1. 3 sets of 3 depth jumps

  2. Reverse hyper 3 sets of 6

  3. 3 sets of 3 depth jumps

  4. Pinch grip deadlift hold ramping up to max weight for 10 seconds

  5. 3 sets of 3 depth jumps

  6. Abs work

Right now I feel more energetic then I did comming into the workout and can’t wai to train tomorrow morning![/quote]

sorry, but, what are depth jumps?, pinch grip? reverse hyper?

aside from that. i can relate to what you say. went to do pulls after 2 days off. felt great. thought i would kill em.
i was so psyched, it was so difficult to get even 1 rep. correct. did more weight, but form was pathethic.

[quote]domcib wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
I personally believe that it’s best to do something everyday. When I take a complete day off I’m always physically strong BUT neurally un-activated after an off day. This always lead to less than stellar performances despite feeling good. In fact on some movements it can even be dangerous because you are very strong, but less coordinated. On high skill/high force movements (olympic lifting variations, high pulls…) this is not something you want!

So Even on off days I like to do some work that doesn’t create systemic fatigue. It can be a neural charge type of training or doing low stress lifting (e.g. biceps, calves and abs work) or even doing something like sprints would work.

Here is what I did this morning:

  1. 3 sets of 3 depth jumps

  2. Reverse hyper 3 sets of 6

  3. 3 sets of 3 depth jumps

  4. Pinch grip deadlift hold ramping up to max weight for 10 seconds

  5. 3 sets of 3 depth jumps

  6. Abs work

Right now I feel more energetic then I did comming into the workout and can’t wai to train tomorrow morning![/quote]

sorry, but, what are depth jumps?, pinch grip? reverse hyper?

aside from that. i can relate to what you say. went to do pulls after 2 days off. felt great. thought i would kill em.
i was so psyched, it was so difficult to get even 1 rep. correct. did more weight, but form was pathethic.
[/quote]

https://www.google.com/

Hi CT - How do you feel about doing dips and pullups on off days?

Thanks

[quote]Grug wrote:
Hi CT - How do you feel about doing dips and pullups on off days?

Thanks[/quote]

They are fine but do not go to your limit. 4-5 sets of submaximal reps (e.g. 1-2 reps less than you are capable of doing) is fine.

These are days where I just like to go play basketball or something.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
These are days where I just like to go play basketball or something.[/quote]

Too many bad memories for me :slight_smile: But yeah, that is another solid option.

@CT: Personally I love jumps for 10-15 minute, of this was my off day workout what would be the ideal peri workout nutrition? If sprints were done what would you recommend for peri or sled work what would you recommend? Thank you… I do 10-15 minutes of jumps before every workout & love it…thank you for that tip!!

I like to do a short circuit of explosive movements, usually an upper followed by a lower, with two of each.

For instance, 4 reps for any type of jumping movement (I try to change it every workout to stay sharp)
medicine ball slams or throws for 4 reps
another type of jump for 4 reps
another type of medicine ball slam or some plyo pushup variation for 4 reps

4 sets of this circuit. I like to pace back and forth for a few seconds between each movement, imagining that I’m a bloodthirsty lion slowly stalking his prey before the big explosive chase and subsequent kill.

Other days I just like to take my bike out for a ride and keep the pace nice and easy, but with one rule: ALWAYS crank it up to top speed (or as close as traffic will allow) whenever I have to start from a complete stop, like at a red light. If I have to slow down for a pedestrian I’ll slowly ease back up to a nice cruising speed. But if I ever have to stop completely I have to also accelerate back up to speed as quickly as possible.

[quote]sput79 wrote:
@CT: Personally I love jumps for 10-15 minute, of this was my off day workout what would be the ideal peri workout nutrition? If sprints were done what would you recommend for peri or sled work what would you recommend? Thank you… I do 10-15 minutes of jumps before every workout & love it…thank you for that tip!![/quote]

Sput, MAG-10 and especially the new formula of MAG-10 is perfect for a neural charge/sled session. Those sessions are about driving nutrients into the muscles and i would say a single serving of it with a serving of Power Drive afterwards would fit the bill nicely.

Another option that has been nice for me lately, is yoga. Not just stretching and stuff, but the planks, various floor based movements, poses, etc… Started doing this after Dan John’s article where he talked about ground-work. Less tightness, more core strength, shoulder stability, and it gets all that without using anything besides my body weight (the bigger you get, the harder it is).

Always a fan of a neural charge workout as well. I’ve found that time, reps, and sets don’t matter. I’m looking for a particular “buzz”, and once I get it, I’m done. Sometimes it takes a Med-Ball Push Press and a Jump and I’m done. Other times I’m doing about 15 minutes worth of stuff. But that is always my goal, that total body “tingle” and energy buzz.

@Eazy: thank you for taking your time to answer that. I was thinking MAG-10, but why not ask with all the brilliant minds of Biotest here.