T Nation

Off Days/Rest Days

Hey guys . Iam doing the stronglift 5*5 workout . I noticed that there are quite a few rest days in each week and plus there are the off days too . 2 rest days and 2 off days . So no lifting for 4 days of the week . Any ideas on what to do in this time ? I don’t want to end up doing something that might hamper my process . Thnx in advance !

If you don’t want to hamper your ‘process’(most likely progress, right?), then tell us what you ate yesterday.

[quote]siddhu_r wrote:
Iam doing the stronglift 5*5 workout . I noticed that there are quite a few rest days in each week and plus there are the off days too . 2 rest days and 2 off days . [/quote]
Um… what’s the difference between a rest day and an off day? As far as I’ve ever, ever ever, ever, ever heard, they’re the same thing.

Boil some eggs. Cook some chicken. Mix up some tuna salad. Bake some potatoes. Boil some rice. This way, you’re making sure there’s good food in the fridge waiting for you to chow down on the rest of the week

You could also use those days to go to your part-time job which will give you enough walking around money to buy your own food, afford a membership to a good gym, and take girls out on nice dates.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]siddhu_r wrote:
Iam doing the stronglift 5*5 workout . I noticed that there are quite a few rest days in each week and plus there are the off days too . 2 rest days and 2 off days . [/quote]
Um… what’s the difference between a rest day and an off day? As far as I’ve ever, ever ever, ever, ever heard, they’re the same thing.

Boil some eggs. Cook some chicken. Mix up some tuna salad. Bake some potatoes. Boil some rice. This way, you’re making sure there’s good food in the fridge waiting for you to chow down on the rest of the week

You could also use those days to go to your part-time job which will give you enough walking around money to buy your own food, afford a membership to a good gym, and take girls out on nice dates.[/quote]

Well ya , rest and off are the same thing . What i meant was that there are one day gaps between workout days ( mon , wed , fri ) . and then after that its free for the rest of the week . and well really , i was expecting something more exercise oriented :stuck_out_tongue:

In case you still haven’t figured it out, you only spend about 6% of your day working out… The eating and sleeping means a lot more for your muscle gains than lifting 5-6 times a week would.

[quote]Claudan wrote:

In case you still haven’t figured it out, you only spend about 6% of your day working out… The eating and sleeping means a lot more for your muscle gains than lifting 5-6 times a week would. [/quote]

Well its not even 6% really . its much less . and its not 5-6 times a week its only 3 times . Just was wondering if those last 2 days of total rest might be a waste . but ya okay i’ll just rest it out .

You could walk. Or you can add in sprints/hill runs/max incline treadmill runs on top of the stronglift 5x5. You’ll probably enjoy rest days if you do that.

[quote]
Well its not even 6% really . its much less . and its not 5-6 times a week its only 3 times . Just was wondering if those last 2 days of total rest might be a waste . but ya okay i’ll just rest it out . [/quote]

I think you misunderstood what I said… I didn’t say you are working out 5-6 times a week… I said IF you were to remove your ‘rest’ days, and add 2 workout days, You would be working out 5-6 times a week BUT that wouldn’t give you as much result, as working out 3 times a week but putting more focus on eating and resting.

Does that make sense?

[quote]magick wrote:
You could walk. Or you can add in sprints/hill runs/max incline treadmill runs on top of the stronglift 5x5.[/quote]
The kid is 6 feet tall and 120-something pounds. Do you really want to recommend cardio?

[quote]siddhu_r wrote:

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

You could also use those days to go to your part-time job which will give you enough walking around money to buy your own food, afford a membership to a good gym, and take girls out on nice dates.[/quote]
Well ya , rest and off are the same thing . What i meant was that there are one day gaps between workout days ( mon , wed , fri ) . and then after that its free for the rest of the week . and well really , i was expecting something more exercise oriented :P[/quote]
More exercise is the last thing you need.

If following a 5x5 program three days a week didn’t work, nobody would be talking about it almost 60 years after it first popped up.

How much weight have you gained in the last two weeks?

In those “2 rest days and 2 off days”, relax and eat a ton of food. Stop worrying about things. Follow a program and eat a bunch of food.

You’re still using pretty light weights.

As you start moving more serious weight, you’ll come to really appreciate the rest.

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:

As you start moving more serious weight, you’ll come to really appreciate the rest.[/quote]

Yes, this.

When you get to squatting a weight where you’re stumbling out of the gym and genuinely having trouble walking up stairs, then you’ll really appreciate rest days.

In the meanwhile, enjoy the fact that you’re not there yet :wink:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:

As you start moving more serious weight, you’ll come to really appreciate the rest.[/quote]

Yes, this.

When you get to squatting a weight where you’re stumbling out of the gym and genuinely having trouble walking up stairs, then you’ll really appreciate rest days.

In the meanwhile, enjoy the fact that you’re not there yet ;-)[/quote]

hmmm kk . havent really gained anything yet . just have to wait and see then :stuck_out_tongue: thanks then

Just do something productive maybe read a book. Everything else is good advice .

You can “study” lifting. Movements and associated muscle groups, how changing a grip or foot or bar placement may affect those as well. And by study I don’t mean just books, learn to feel out your body and how to move a weight through activating a certain muscle group.

I only ran as a hobby before lifting and I do not consider myself a natural athlete nor have I ever had a coach. Spending time on motor skills and basics didn’t only help…stuff like that eventually became a necessity. Especially as a tool and practice for learning how to APPROACH problems later on.

If you pick anything up just make sure you don’t fuck with your progress. And remember, more moving = more eating