T Nation

% of Calories From Protein?

What’s the ideal % of calories somone trying to bulk up should get from protein? I know most experts recommend somewhere in the range of 1-2 grams per pound daily but I can’t seem to find suggestions on % of calories from protein. I’m asking because a trainer recently said 40%.

I’m 5’5" 135 and I’m eating 3500 to 3700 calories a day. So, to reach 40%, I’d have to eat almost THREE grams per pound daily! This is much higher in terms of grams/lb than experts seem to recommend. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!!

[quote]Bonn1997 wrote:
What’s the ideal % of calories somone trying to bulk up should get from protein? I know most experts recommend somewhere in the range of 1-2 grams per pound daily but I can’t seem to find suggestions on % of calories from protein. I’m asking because a trainer recently said 40%.

I’m 5’5" 135 and I’m eating 3500 to 3700 calories a day. So, to reach 40%, I’d have to eat almost THREE grams per pound daily! This is much higher in terms of grams/lb than experts seem to recommend. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!![/quote]

You’re confusing information from 2 different scenarios. One- bulking. Two- optimum/minimum amount for muscle growth. When bulking, I like to get 40/30/30 c/p/f so in your case that would equal aprox. 250-275g/p

When cutting I like to go more 20/40/40 c/p/f.

In truth, your body only needs .7-1g-p/lb to aid in muscle growth. More than that is really just to offset caloric need. Unless, of course, you get much bigger and stronger and lift much heavier, then you might fall into needing 1-1.5 for optimum recovery.

As an already lean guy, I’d like to point you to this thread created by Christian Thibaudeau:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1268956

Read the whole thing twice, take notes.

[quote]Gorgeous wrote:
As an already lean guy, I’d like to point you to this thread created by Christian Thibaudeau:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1268956

Read the whole thing twice, take notes.[/quote]

What was the point of pointing out this thread? Really. The guy obviously isn’t bulking incorrectly if he’s only eating 3500 cals. Plus he’s only 135lbs- he can afford to go on an all out bulk without any problems.

Let’s stop using CT’s thread to push an anti-bulking agenda.

3500 cals for a 135lb guy is a lot…I dont think he’s gonna need more than that.

I’ve been gaining slightly over a pound a week (maybe 1.2) at this rate but I’ve noticed more fat gain than I wanted. (There’s been muscle gain too, though.) So, I thought I might be better off getting a higher % from protein. I also probably wasn’t doing enough of the big lifts until recently. I started Berardi’s S2B about a month ago.

In addition to info from the previous post, I’ll note that I am very active: Basketball for one hour twice a week and Phase II of Berardi’s S2B three times a week (with two rest days). I also have a pretty fast metabolism and have always been thin.

[quote]Bonn1997 wrote:
I’ve been gaining slightly over a pound a week (maybe 1.2) at this rate but I’ve noticed more fat gain than I wanted. (There’s been muscle gain too, though.) So, I thought I might be better off getting a higher % from protein. I also probably wasn’t doing enough of the big lifts until recently. I started Berardi’s S2B about a month ago. [/quote]

Don’t worry about more protein, lighten the overall caloric load. This will in turn raise the protein percentage of your diet. I think 3500cals is probably a little high. You can’t possibly be adding 5lbs of muscle a month so obviously 50% or so of that is fat.

You could still do great on 2500-3000cals. And that is your .5-1lb per week of fat gain. Of course, you do only weigh 135 so a little fat may be a worthy side effect. And in your position, MUCH better to add a little fat with some muscle than not be able to add muscle with a ‘restricted’ diet.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
I’ve been gaining slightly over a pound a week (maybe 1.2) at this rate but I’ve noticed more fat gain than I wanted. (There’s been muscle gain too, though.) So, I thought I might be better off getting a higher % from protein. I also probably wasn’t doing enough of the big lifts until recently. I started Berardi’s S2B about a month ago.

Don’t worry about more protein, lighten the overall caloric load. This will in turn raise the protein percentage of your diet. I think 3500cals is probably a little high. You can’t possibly be adding 5lbs of muscle a month so obviously 50% or so of that is fat.

You could still do great on 2500-3000cals. And that is your .5-1lb per week of fat gain. Of course, you do only weigh 135 so a little fat may be a worthy side effect. And in your position, MUCH better to add a little fat with some muscle than not be able to add muscle with a ‘restricted’ diet.
[/quote]

Thanks; that makes sense! I guess it’s trial and error.