T Nation

% of BW question

When squatting and deadlifting, what percentage of my BW am I lifting during each exercise? I need this to work out my 15,12,8 and 5 RM for the HST I’m planning on doing in the next few weeks. Regards.

Um, you don’t count your bodyweight.

You do not need to count your body weight. Unless it changes dramatically, you will always be squating the same weight. So, it is pretty stable, you do not need to count it.

For that matter, you don't even really need to count the bar you're squatting with. Most people, including myself, count it, though. As long as you're consistently using the same piece of equipment, you do not really have to factor it in. Obviously, this includes your body.

Hope this helps.

where did you get body weight? it is 15, 10 & 5 REP MAX. you spend a week determinging those IN THE GYM, then go on SD (strategic Deconditioning) for 12 days.

use the calculator at the HST website to determine whole program.

I was planning on working out my 5 RM for all exercises, then using the co-efficients in Issue 195’s ‘Big Numbers’ to calculate 1 RM, then use this 1RM to calculate the 5,8,12 +15 RM (I’m not following HST exactly for various reasons, but the principles are the same) using the co-efficients I mentioned before. I wanted to know the %of body weight contributed to a lift because if, for example, I squat a 300lb barbell, I’m also lifting my body weight, which increases the load, and if I don’t include this, my 15,12 and 8RM estimations are inaccurate. Forgive me for typing too much, I think I’m confusing myself.

if you are doin some kind of percentage thing, then you do need to know your how much of your bodyweight you are moving. when squating its ~75% of your bodyweight that you are moving. no idea for the deadlift though

No one factors in their body weight when calculating RM’s. If you can squat 300 lbs 10 times and no more, then 300 lbs is your 10RM. So yes, you are confusing yourself.

Pardon me while I play devil’s advocate for a minute. This post is just for thought. When you suggest not counting body weight, or possibly even the bar, are you talking about in general or in determining percentages? I would assume you’re talking about calculating percentages, as that is what the subject at hand is. If so, would you draw a line anywhere? If I don’t squat under 315, ever, then should I just ignore the first 315lbs and take percentages from there? So if my 1RM was 400lbs (including bar and bodyweight), 80% of 400 would be 320lbs. If I didn’t count the first 315, then 80% of my 1RM would be 383lbs. That’s obviously a ridiculous situation, but so might be ignoring one’s bodyweight in squat and deadlift percentages, as bodyweight is typically a large percentage of those two lifts. For the record, I don’t keep track of my bodyweight when determining how much weight I have lifted or how much weight I’m going to lift. I just think we all might need to reconsider how we determine percentages, especially when determining routines for the masses. Any thoughts?

I understand what you are saying, and you give a good example. However, there is a difference between not counting the bar and not counting 3 plates per side, unless you’re increasing a by a percent. With your body weight, that is really majoring in minutia.

A bar is essentially an unalterable piece of equipment, whereas the plates are additive. Even if you only squat with 3 or more plates, that is still something that is alterable and is your "target" and should therefore be counted if you're going for a percent.

Keep in mind that the original question pertained to HST, which focus's on tested Max's not percentages of maxes. You should be testing them individually.

Jared, I understand what you're saying and to some degree I concur, but I don't think it's really very applicaple to the quesiton.

Hope this helps.

We are talking RM’s here, not % of 1RM. Regardless, what is the usefulness of calculating 80% of your 1RM?

I see a lot of programs which prescribe %'s of 1RM to be lifted, such as 5x5@85% of 1RM. This is silly. A newbie may bang out 10 reps easily w/ 85% of his 1RM, while an experienced/stronger trainee may not even be able to perform a single set of 5 with 85% of his max, yet alone 5 sets. There isn't much usefulness in computing %'s of 1RM, nor is there much usefulness in using them for exercise prescription purposes.

the original q was regarding HST or variation there of. using BW has no bearing and the same goes for calculating 5rm, 8rm, 10rm, 12rm & 15rm based on a % of 1rm.

go in the gym over a period of a week and get the “actual” rm’s. the plates are mearly a funtion of additional weight, as in progressive loading.

BW is not calculated as it is not about “number”, but about incrementing 20 lbs (for a 300lb squat) on your squat for a microcycle.

I completely agree that what I brought up wasn’t applicable to the question. I just thought it’d be something different to talk about, albeit close to pointless. :slight_smile:

For this instance–and for any that involves calculating RMs–just count the weight on the barbell, dumbbell or machine. If you’re doing dips or chins, or a complete weight-bearing exercise, just count the weight that you added.

If you're really interested in the percentage of bodyweight that you lift during the squat, I suggest you check out some of the old archives from Coach Poliquin. I believe he mentioned it somewhere. Maybe in the 1-6 Principle.

Again, don't count the resistance from your bodyweight in your RM. You should be fine just with the actual weight on the apparatus.

again any percentage pased thing, it rather ludicrous to ignore 150lbs that you are moving (if you weight 200lbs). and as you might think its the 5 Percent solution that mentions this

Yes, it is the 5% Solution, and yes, you do have to consider bodyweight when working with a system that requires percent-increase parameters. For example, if you weigh 200lbs and you’re squatting 400lbs, then the total load would be 550lbs. If you’re looking to increase 5% by next workout, that’s 27.5lbs. If you didn’t include your bodyweight, then it would be 5% of 400lbs, or 20lbs. Obviously, that’s a big difference!

Joel is correct, specifically for HST which has its basis in progressive loading which is based on ones ACTUAL 15, 10 & 5rm.

% of 1rm are not applicable. just go to the GYM & bang out your RM’s.