Of All The Stupid Injuries

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
I got hit in the face with a kayak yesterday…[/quote]

OK, I may be sorry I asked this, but how could you manage to do this? It’s a little late in the year to be kayaking in Conn. no? Unless it was in a store or something.

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
JNeves wrote:
Now I have a bruised palm from a car accident and can’t bench.

Dont jerk off while driving…[/quote]

Or don’t drive while jerking off…

[quote]TigerJim wrote:
Glad you were able to get a workout Trib. Keep it light for a bit, don’t rush it.

Being old timers, we can tend to try to make up for lost time when we should be relaxing.

[/quote]

This is the tough part. It’s like I don’t have 20 years left to make gains with so the temptation is to push, but I have to remind myself that I may REALLY be outta commission and for longer without some sensible restraint.

It doesn’t seem to be any worse today, but not noticably better either which isn’t surprising it’s only been since Sat. afternoon.

I’m going to get a chest wrap I think for work. It’s not so bad that I’m non functional, but it doesn’t let me forget it’s there either. I still cannot believe I did this.

OK, I just wanted to take this opportunity to bring you free of charge the hottest tip you’ll probably hear this week.

NEVER injure your ribs.

Write it down.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
OK, I just wanted to take this opportunity to bring you free of charge the hottest tip you’ll probably hear this week.

NEVER injure your ribs.

Write it down.[/quote]

If, God forbid, you should fail to dilligently adhere to my first tip, here’s part two:

Having injured your ribs, NEVER get the hiccups and NEVER EVER sneeze. I tried both and you won’t dig either.

I just got a really stupid injury.

I was fooling around at home doing lateral raises with 30’s and my form was bad but I thought it would be ok. I could call them “power lateral raises” lol. Anyways today my right shoulder is totally fucked. I hope it heals soon.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
I got hit in the face with a kayak yesterday…

OK, I may be sorry I asked this, but how could you manage to do this? It’s a little late in the year to be kayaking in Conn. no? Unless it was in a store or something.
[/quote]

Well, I was actually in NY at the time. I work at a kayak shop, and the guys I work with and I go surf kayaking after work every week or so. Being that I’ve been away at college for the past month, I was pumped as hell to go. We put wetsuits on and headed for the beach.

The waves were pretty damn rough, which makes for an interesting/exhausting/fun time. Anyway, I started to ride a wave, turned too quickly and flipped. No big deal, but when you flip towards the beach, you stay under for a few seconds so the wave drags the kayak past you and you pop your head out without getting hit. I couldnt catch a breath quick enough while going over, swallowed water, then popped up too early, at which point the wave flung the kayak and hit me in the face. I had a bloody lip and a REALLY sore nose for the week or so after it.

[quote]T234 wrote:

I was fooling around at home doing lateral raises with 30’s and my form was bad but I thought it would be ok. I could call them “power lateral raises” lol. Anyways today my right shoulder is totally fucked. I hope it heals soon. [/quote]

Lemme guess. bent over too far and swing too far back? If so, done that one too.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Tiribulus wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
I got hit in the face with a kayak yesterday…

Well, I was actually in NY at the time. I work at a kayak shop, and the guys I work with and I go surf kayaking after work every week or so. Being that I’ve been away at college for the past month, I was pumped as hell to go. We put wetsuits on and headed for the beach.

The waves were pretty damn rough, which makes for an interesting/exhausting/fun time. Anyway, I started to ride a wave, turned too quickly and flipped. No big deal, but when you flip towards the beach, you stay under for a few seconds so the wave drags the kayak past you and you pop your head out without getting hit. I couldnt catch a breath quick enough while going over, swallowed water, then popped up too early, at which point the wave flung the kayak and hit me in the face. I had a bloody lip and a REALLY sore nose for the week or so after it.
[/quote]

I got knocked over at Tobay one time and lost track of which way I was facing. When I stood up with the board in my hands another wave slammed into the board and the front tip hit me in the lip too. Scary huh?

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
T234 wrote:

I was fooling around at home doing lateral raises with 30’s and my form was bad but I thought it would be ok. I could call them “power lateral raises” lol. Anyways today my right shoulder is totally fucked. I hope it heals soon.

Lemme guess. bent over too far and swing too far back? If so, done that one too.[/quote]

Yup. I’m starting to get worried. It’s been three days and no signs of healing. Of course I can’t workout like this…it hurts to get dressed.

OK - Here’s some grist for the mill:

1. had to have arthroscope on my knee after I slipped off an icy step and planted my foot in a rock garden. I was bringing home a pizza.
  2. Have blown out my back : once pulling off my sock, once picking up a guitar that weighed maybe 8 pounds.
  3. couldn’t throw a ball for a month after a horse bit my finger. I was trying to feed him an apple.

Hey Tiribulus,
Sorry to hear about the injury, hope it’s healing well. I did break my finger, crushed it really, while closing my garage door last year, needless to say I didn’t do a lot of upper body stuff for a while.

I won’t diagnose your injury, due to the whole “over the internet, could be many things, see a doctor, etc.” thing, but…

It is not uncommon to strain one of your intercostals. Pain would increase with deep breathing, sneezing, presumably hiccups…Many athletes get this injury from rough contact (hockey players, football, rugby, etc). And they can often find exercises that don’t irritate it. General rule of thumb with this injury is…If it doesn’t hurt while doing it, it probably isn’t doing any harm.

The comment about wrapping an ace bandage around your ribs is right on. This will keep you from expanding your ribcage too much, and placing a strain on the intercostals.

Dare I suggest you try some isolations for a while until you recover? This can be a slow recovery because it is easy to irritate in daily activities.

If you had broken a rib, you would be in pretty severe pain, which would increase with the same methods as above, but also if you compressed the ribs on the opposite side of the injury, you would also feel it on the injured side.

God I’m long winded.

Anyways, good luck with healing quickly. You always seem to have good advice for us, so keep your head up, and be smart about it.

I managed to get stress fractures in both femoral heads in both hips training for a powerlifting meet. I’ve been out of action nearly two years. It’s healing now but its taken forever, doc says ive got anything from 3 to 12 more months before I can even think of squatting again. A cracked rib aint so bad if you ask me! Oh and If anyone has any inventive ways to train the posterior chain without putting a lot of stress in the hip joint, I’m all ears!

Here…I’ll make you feel better.
1.I am missing 85% of the ligaments holding my left foot to my leg.
2.My left medial collateral ligament is completely torn.
3.I have had 3 hernia operations. The first was caused when squating.
4. My shoulders have been subluxating for years and there is a lot of crepitus. I just recently got my bench up to 280lbs so maybe I am on the mend.
5. Unfortunately for my bench pressing, I hurt my wrist falling off my mountain bike 3 times this summer before I noticed my front fork was screwed.
6. I hurt my wrist further last week putting my barbell on my rack from the ground. It was too heavy but I tried anyhow.
7. I just hurt my back deadlifting on Saturday. I was on set 5, rep 4 of 5x5.
I have always had low back issues and try to be careful. I have been walking like an old man for the past few days. I have been waking up every hour in pain.
I am still going to workout later however. For me, injuries are a way of life and the price I paid for a hard sporting life. You just need to deal with them.
When all the concussions I got playing rugby finally catch up to me, I probably won’t be able to tell you how dumb I have been.

[quote]T234 wrote:
Lemme guess. bent over too far and swing too far back? If so, done that one too.

Yup. I’m starting to get worried. It’s been three days and no signs of healing. Of course I can’t workout like this…it hurts to get dressed.

[/quote]

I don’t wanna be a joykill, but I hurt mine 3 months ago and it still isn’t healed. It’s a lot better and I can work around it, but it isn’t done healing.

@ Skuebb:

Welcome to the apparently not so exclusive club of goofball injuries.

@ Modi:

Thanks, I’ll take al the sympathy I can get. I am about 99% sure I seperated the ribs right where they join as seen in the picture. Take a look at the first post for the idiotic story about how it happened. Also you will be relieved of any long winded guilt feelings.

Geez guys!

You’re right I don’t feel so bad. I’ve had plenty of injuries in the past. Concussions, broken bones, sprains, contusions, numerous burns (worked at a steel forging outfit), chemical burns, bulging disc etc. It was the way I hurt myself this time that really got me, but I can see I’m not alone for getting goofy injuries.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
@ Modi:

Thanks, I’ll take al the sympathy I can get. I am about 99% sure I seperated the ribs right where they join as seen in the picture. Take a look at the first post for the idiotic story about how it happened. Also you will be relieved of any long winded guilt feelings.

[/quote]

Yeah,
I saw the original post. Very possible that you are right. Treatment isn’t going to change much either way.

[quote]Skuebb wrote:

1. Have blown out my back : once pulling off my sock, once picking up a guitar that weighed maybe 8 pounds.
    [/quote]

I say we ban socks. They seem to be dangerous.

Crockett was always my Hero back in the day.

I’ve had my fair share of training-halting injuries and everytime it happens I go insane waiting to recover.

1. Dropped 25 pound weight on my big toe and couldnt put any pressure on my foot for a couple weeks
  2. Dislocated my right shoulder at a ski race
  3. Separated my left shoulder at a ski race
  4. Almost tore ACL skiing
  5. Bruised my knee and wrist in a skiing accident
  6. Right now I am taking a few days off because I stressed a tendon around my elbow doing lying tricep extensions and I hate it.

I’ve definitely been where you are right now, just waiting to recover. It does suck a LOT but I have always found that the gains I lose or perceive to lose during my time off come back right away. I also find that I miss working out so much that I go back into the gym with a high level of intensity, and I end up surpassing where I was before I hurt myself pretty quickly.

[quote]combatwombat wrote:
Skuebb wrote:

1. Have blown out my back : once pulling off my sock, once picking up a guitar that weighed maybe 8 pounds.

Crockett was always my Hero back in the day. [/quote]

Or maybe we should file a class action suit against the sock manufacturers. This is an inherently dangerous product.

[quote]Skuebb wrote:
combatwombat wrote:
Skuebb wrote:

Crockett was always my Hero back in the day.

Or maybe we should file a class action suit against the sock manufacturers. This is an inherently dangerous product.

[/quote]

Yeah especially since they have failed to properly label their products as such for centuries. Shameless

Some wierd shit with this rib injury. Between about 12:30 and 3:30 Friday afternoon it appears to have healed about 30% or so if the pain’s any indication. It wasn’t getting any better at all and hurt all morning.

I had a few hours of work to do at my desk and when I stood up I noticed it didn’t seem to hurt as much. I coughed a little on purpose to sort of test the pain level and it was quite noticably better from 3 hours before and has been very slowly improving since. I don’t think I’ve ever had an injury do something like this before.