T Nation

Odd Cravings


#1

Since I've been eating healthier in the past month and lost a few pounds, Ive noticed I get really random strong cravings. some of them include

1) chocolate
2) subway
3) fast food

I try to avoid these things as I end up feeling sick after I eat them, but the cravings last for days. I have fought them by substituting healthier foods. Usually once a week thought hey get really intense and I give in. It makes me think something addictive is in these foods. I normally don't each chocolate that much, but lately I just want it like a woman on her period. Ive read this might be due to a magnesium deficiency.

Anyone else experience weird cravings as they transition to a healthier life style?

Edit
past 2 months


#2

Chocolate & Subway you say?

That sounds like a boy to me! Congratulations!

On a serious note, I gave shite food all the time so…


#3

Well, I just had my ultrasounds…it’s twins!


#4

I found that most of my cravings were in reality bad habits.

I competed up a weight class for a contest, and during training told myself that, since I didn’t have to worry about making weight, I should really push the calories so I could train harder and recover better. I operated under the principle that there was no such thing as a bad calorie.

Now, I wasn’t doing the full on Dave Tate glory days approach, but I was playing it fast and loose. Swing by BK on the way to work for some hashbrowns every couple of days, stop by the office snack by every few hours for some peanut butter cups, big bowl of blueberries and peanut butter everynight as a dessert, little things like that.

Once the competition was over and it was time to settle down again, it was REALLY hard to stop doing these things. They just became habits. I’d be driving to work, see BK, tell myself I should go get some hashbrowns and then realize I wasn’t even hungry. I just wanted to get them because I was so used to getting them. Same thing with the work snackbar: it was there, so I felt like I should eat it.

It actually took more willpower than I thought to really fight these habits. I still get the twinge to eat something despite not being hungry.

Long story short, you’re not alone.


#5

I’m bad about running low on salt because I don’t generally like much salt on my food. When I’m running low, I’ll crave tater chips like crazy. If I take a salt tablet, the craving goes away.

The fast food cravings could be for the saturated fats. Chocolate could be magnesium. Can’t imagine what the subway craving is all about.


#6

[quote]Aero51 wrote:
Since I’ve been eating healthier in the past month and lost a few pounds, Ive noticed I get really random strong cravings. some of them include

  1. chocolate
  2. subway
  3. fast food

I try to avoid these things as I end up feeling sick after I eat them, but the cravings last for days. I have fought them by substituting healthier foods. Usually once a week thought hey get really intense and I give in. It makes me think something addictive is in these foods. I normally don’t each chocolate that much, but lately I just want it like a woman on her period. Ive read this might be due to a magnesium deficiency.

Anyone else experience weird cravings as they transition to a healthier life style?

Edit
past 2 months[/quote]

Are you on cycle right now? As funny as it may sound, i started having super intense craving for chocolates and sweet in general. It usually wasmt ever to bad but I had moments where I was almost panicked. A friend told me when his estro got too high, he would get the same thing. I went and got my blood work done, sure enough, high estro (due to a bunk AI)


#7
  • Eat 90% dark chocolate when you really need to eat chocolate.

  • Make your own protein packed sammich when you want subway, or just go to subway and double up on the chicken/turkey meat and stay away from the sauces.

  • Make sure you prepare meals in advanced. I find this is the best way to avoid fast food eating.

I often crave cheese on toast, but I only cave into my desires when Im tired/stressed. So I acknowledge this and try to prevent situations where I am tired/stressed and near toast and cheese.

tweet


#8

[quote]theBird wrote:

  • Make your own protein packed sammich when you want subway, or just go to subway and double up on the chicken/turkey meat and stay away from the sauces.
    [/quote]

But the sauces are the best part. Chipotle Southwest ftw.


#9

You can actually cave to Subway and eat good.

Tuna, every fucking vegetable they have and deli mustard, I LOVE that sandwich.


#10

Agreed.

If you’re finicky about the calories then purchase some low fat samourai (the regular fat version is waaay better than Southwest) or Harissa or simply get yellow mustard and vinegar on yours. I agree about doubling up on the meat though.

And aside from the preservatives and deli meat sodium, you could do much much worse than Subway sandwiches :slight_smile:

This thread looks suspiciously like some fat chick’s log on lowcarb friends with the usual support group replying, i.e. 4-5 women sampled from each of the body types and age groups and one bald guy with glasses (the Alpha Male poster on a largely female oriented forum)

[quote]craze9 wrote:

[quote]theBird wrote:

  • Make your own protein packed sammich when you want subway, or just go to subway and double up on the chicken/turkey meat and stay away from the sauces.
    [/quote]

But the sauces are the best part. Chipotle Southwest ftw.[/quote]


#11

[quote]mutantcolors wrote:
You can actually cave to Subway and eat good.

Tuna, every fucking vegetable they have and deli mustard, I LOVE that sandwich.[/quote]
That tuna is mixed with lots of mayonnaise.

But I suppose if it fits your macros, why not.

tweet


#12

[quote]jeremielemauvais wrote:
Agreed.

If you’re finicky about the calories then purchase some low fat samourai (the regular fat version is waaay better than Southwest) or Harissa or simply get yellow mustard and vinegar on yours. I agree about doubling up on the meat though.

And aside from the preservatives and deli meat sodium, you could do much much worse than Subway sandwiches :slight_smile:

This thread looks suspiciously like some fat chick’s log on lowcarb friends with the usual support group replying, i.e. 4-5 women sampled from each of the body types and age groups and one bald guy with glasses (the Alpha Male poster on a largely female oriented forum)

[/quote]

i loled


#13

Is it weird to want to eat rubbish food? Because I must be a freak if so. Some of my best sessions have been fueled by the fact that I had 2000 kcal of “cheat meal” waiting for me when I was done.


#14

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
Is it weird to want to eat rubbish food? Because I must be a freak if so. Some of my best sessions have been fueled by the fact that I had 2000 kcal of “cheat meal” waiting for me when I was done.[/quote]

yeah I’m of the belief that if you are going to have a cheat meal then really fucking cheat! Subway doesn’t cut it. A subway sandwich is a snack, 2 large pizzas washed down with a pint of rum is a cheat!


#15

[quote]Yogi wrote:
yeah I’m of the belief that if you are going to have a cheat meal then really fucking cheat! Subway doesn’t cut it. A subway sandwich is a snack, 2 large pizzas washed down with a pint of rum is a cheat![/quote]

That’s like saying kissing a girl at a bar doesn’t cut it, you have to have a foursome with three french call girls in a whirl pool filled with Dom Perignon to call it cheating.

(I get your point but I like the analogy)


#16

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
yeah I’m of the belief that if you are going to have a cheat meal then really fucking cheat! Subway doesn’t cut it. A subway sandwich is a snack, 2 large pizzas washed down with a pint of rum is a cheat![/quote]

That’s like saying kissing a girl at a bar doesn’t cut it, you have to have a foursome with three french call girls in a whirl pool filled with Dom Perignon to call it cheating.

(I get your point but I like the analogy)[/quote]

I like your analogy too, as it means I’ve never cheated! Haha.

But does Subway really count as a cheat meal? I never really thought it did, but maybe it’s worse than I thought it was


#17

[quote]Yogi wrote:
But does Subway really count as a cheat meal? I never really thought it did, but maybe it’s worse than I thought it was[/quote]

I guess it depends on the person and the goal. For me (decently fast metabolism, trying to gain weight, pretty much IIFYM-ing it) it would be ok I guess. For someone who’s trying to get down to a really low bodyfat percentage for a show - nope, I don’t think so.


#18

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
Is it weird to want to eat rubbish food? Because I must be a freak if so. Some of my best sessions have been fueled by the fact that I had 2000 kcal of “cheat meal” waiting for me when I was done.[/quote]

yeah I’m of the belief that if you are going to have a cheat meal then really fucking cheat! Subway doesn’t cut it. A subway sandwich is a snack, 2 large pizzas washed down with a pint of rum is a cheat![/quote]

Damn straight. My last full on cheat was a large pizza, 4 quarter pounders with bacon, egg, cheese and pulled pork and a rack of ribs. And some cucumber, because you’ve got to get our veggies.