Odd Calf Pain When Squatting

I don’t have a coach to ask, and I have searched on here and google, so I decided that someone on here probably had the same problem as me, so maybe you guys can help me out.

I am getting this sharp pain that is located on the outside of my calves. It only happens when I go completely ATG when squatting, and only while squatting. I first got the pain a few weeks ago when I was in the middle of the Smolov routine. I have tried icing it and stretching all the time but nothing seems to help.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all about “No pain, no gain,” but it is getting to the point that I just can’t tolerate it anymore.

I attached an image (not of me) with a red line showing you were I get the pain, and I hope it uploads correctly.

Some statistics that might help diagnose the issues: I use a low bar position with Adidas Olympic shoes, and I rarely exercise my calf muscles on there own.

So, has anyone else experienced this pain? Are my calves just too weak?

Thanks a lot.

I’m on the smolov program right now as well, and I’ve been getting a little “tightness” in my calves. Not as serious as yours I don’t think, but I did some stretches for both the gastrocnemius and soleus. This is the best picture I could find for what I did: http://www.fitsugar.com/658522

Now, I did the stretch much more intenesly than the girl in the photos, but this stretch really did help a lot and the tightness went away. Give it a shot. If the pain doesn’t go away, I would recommened taking a week off from smolov and seeing if it relieves itself with some stretching and maybe some myofascial (if that is the right word) type work with a foam roller.

I’m not a trainer or doc here, but these two things have worked for me and are at least hopefully worth something to you. Good luck.

I have gotten some pain in my calves before as well, and it was either that they are too tight and just need some stretching (especially if you are squatting very deep).

Also, if you are drifting on your squat, leaning forward or falling back, you engage with your calves for balance and stability. It might not be drastic so it will be hard to detect unless someone can watch you.

Alright, I will take both of your advice into consideration, and definitely put more diversity into my calf stretches.
Thanks for the help.

If the other stuff doesn’t help, look at your IT band and ankles.

I get pain in that area on both sides when my IT band is very tight, and have had chronic pain on the left that is only alleviated by ankle rehab work and myofascial release of the affected area. Also, direct calf work helps.

Mind you I am massively flatfooted, my ankles are ruined, and I did tear the calf area that I have chronic pain in…