Odd Asymmetry in Obliques, Help?

I have this weird asymmetry in my obliques, you can see it in the picture on this post, and a picture in my post below. I used the red arrows to point it out. It’s like I have two heads on my left side, but only one on the right…is this common, and is there any way to correct this?

I’m flexing the shit out of my abs for these pictures to accentuate the asymmetry. If I’m relaxed you can see the obliques on the left, but on the right they’re barely even visible. I don’t know if anyone would notice it, but it bothers me.

here’s a much larger version of that picture that’s much clearer:

Also, pleeease no “sick abs braugh”, “nice myspace photo”, “ghey”, etc. I’m asking for actual help.

Thanks,

Matt

here’s a second picture with a side by side comparison

and a much larger, clearer version:

I guess I see it, but who the fuck cares?

You mean the serratus?

This is “odd” to you? It is accepted that not one human on the planet is perfectly symmetrical.

You will now have to live the rest of your life disappointed that you were not the one to break the stride.

I also think that your “external obliques” will stick out less if you gain some real size on you. You are stressing over nothing. You are nitpicking when you should still be in the basic mass phase. Build the rest of your upper body up and few will be focused on that area in the first place.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
You mean the serratus?

This is “odd” to you? It is accepted that not one human on the planet is perfectly symmetrical.

You will now have to live the rest of your life disappointed that you were not the one to break the stride.

I also think that your “external obliques” will stick out less if you gain some real size on you. You are stressing over nothing. You are nitpicking when you should still be in the basic mass phase. Build the rest of your upper body up and few will be focused on that area in the first place.[/quote]

I thought the serratus was more towards the outside? Also it doesn’t look like a ‘head’ on the right one is just completely missing?

As for external obliques, even when I’m at 200 lbs they still stick out like that, is there any particular thing I can do (whether it’s changing the form on particular movements or whatever) to stop them from growing out like that?

also, whenever I do any movement directly for my abs I can feel my external obliques contracting hardest. Even if I focus on the rectus, my external obliques always end up the sorest and most exhausted and worked part of my abdominal area. Is there any way around this?

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:
also, whenever I do any movement directly for my abs I can feel my external obliques contracting hardest. Even if I focus on the rectus, my external obliques always end up the sorest and most exhausted and worked part of my abdominal area. Is there any way around this? [/quote]

Why are you doing so much ab work? Your abs get indirect training from many different exercises (not to mention that diet is the greatest factor in seeing them to begin with). You seem to be under the impression that your body should be just like someone else’s. If your external obliques grow faster, unless you are training them incorrectly, then you accept that they simply respond well to training.

Why are you making this an issue?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
AccipiterQ wrote:
also, whenever I do any movement directly for my abs I can feel my external obliques contracting hardest. Even if I focus on the rectus, my external obliques always end up the sorest and most exhausted and worked part of my abdominal area. Is there any way around this?

Why are you doing so much ab work? Your abs get indirect training from many different exercises (not to mention that diet is the greatest factor in seeing them to begin with). You seem to be under the impression that your body should be just like someone else’s. If your external obliques grow faster, unless you are training them incorrectly, then you accept that they simply respond well to training.

Why are you making this an issue? [/quote]

I don’t train my abs directly more than once a week though.

It’s not a huge issue, just something I always wondered if it was normal or not…I guess it is though based on the responses here.

I dont think its that big a diference anyway. It looks like your hips aren’t level in the first pic and that makes it look worse.

[quote]Doyle wrote:
I dont think its that big a diference anyway. It looks like your hips aren’t level in the first pic and that makes it look worse.[/quote]

Possibly caused by slight scoliosis (I have it too, you can barely tell)

Also, you are referring to your serratus, not obliques… obliques are literally the side of your body, if i’m correct, X?

[quote]kayveeay wrote:
Doyle wrote:
I dont think its that big a diference anyway. It looks like your hips aren’t level in the first pic and that makes it look worse.

Also, you are referring to your serratus, not obliques… obliques are literally the side of your body, if i’m correct, X?
[/quote]

Thats not scoliosis… It’s a strange medical condition when you take a picture of your self and your pants are sitting on your waist off-center.

[quote]ab_power wrote:
kayveeay wrote:

Thats not scoliosis… It’s a strange medical condition when you take a picture of your self and your pants are sitting on your waist off-center. [/quote]

Oh Noes!!

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:
ab_power wrote:
kayveeay wrote:

Thats not scoliosis… It’s a strange medical condition when you take a picture of your self and your pants are sitting on your waist off-center.

Oh Noes!![/quote]

Sorry man, you’ll have to quit lifting. Better luck next time :frowning:

Whenever I see a picture of someone with severe scoliosis I become erect…

By that I mean my back straightens up out of repulsion and fear.