T Nation

October's Workout

I put this workout together, pulling from various sources. Comments, criticism?

Monday legs
Abs
6 Front squat, 6 narrow stance squat, 6 normal squat; 4 sets
6 wide grip deadlift, 6 straight leg deadlift, 6 sumo deadlift; 3 sets
dumbbell standing lunge, 2 x 10
3 x 10 glut ham raise
10 min on stair climber

Tuesday chest
flat bench 7, 5, 3, 6, 4, 2
decline machine flies 8, 8, 8
incline dumbbell press 8, 6, 6, 4
2 x 10 narrow grip machine press
2 x 10 cable fly
20 min run

Wednesday back
Abs
Barbell rows 8, 6, 4, 8, 6, 4
Dumbbell lawnmower rows 10, 8
Hammer machine rows 10, 10
T pull 10, 10
Pull-ups 15, 12, 12

Thursday shoulders
20 min run
Shoulder press 8, 6, 8, 6
Arnold press 10, 8, 10
db lateral raises immediately followed by rear delt db raise; 3 sets
Deadlift 6, 4, 2, 8

Friday arms
Barbell curls 10, 8, 6, 4, 15
Close grip 10, 8, 6, 4, 15
Concentration curls 3 x 10
Cable kick backs 3 x 10
20 min run

IMO

Your chest routine is a bit excessive. If you’re doing inclines AND declines, flat bench doesn’t make much sense. Especially with the other finishers you;ve got. Then you have shoulders a day later, almost guaranteed conflict. Then you only have kickbacks as your only triceps exercise?

I just skimmed through it. Needs some work, but overall not bad. Also it’s not necessary to have this workout as a rigid plan and the numbers aren’t necessary either, as you should be able to gauge that yourself… Do it a few weeks or so by the book and make adjustments as you go.

Could I ask a stupid question?

What are your goals?

I’ve found close grip bench to be pretty effective for hitting the triceps but yeah my arm workout is pretty mellow. I don’t follow the numbers real close its really just to get an idea. It’s kinda my gauge: if i can get all the reps according to my workout its time to either go heavier or change it up.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

What are your goals?[/quote]

I guess I don’t really have one coherent set of goals. I lift and workout because I genuinely enjoy it, but I also don’t want to do a workout that’s not effective. I think that would take away from my enjoyment.

I take a certain sense of pride and accomplishment in moving heavy things. Lifting is fundamentally basic. You pick up something heavy and if you move it as many times as you want, you feel good. If you don’t get the reps you want you put down the weight and try again another day. So my goal…be strong.

Oh and I’m vain.

[quote]
SteelyD wrote:

What are your goals?

jss11483 wrote:

I guess I don’t really have one coherent set of goals. I lift and workout because I genuinely enjoy it, but I also don’t want to do a workout that’s not effective. I think that would take away from my enjoyment.

I take a certain sense of pride and accomplishment in moving heavy things. Lifting is fundamentally basic. You pick up something heavy and if you move it as many times as you want, you feel good. If you don’t get the reps you want you put down the weight and try again another day. So my goal…be strong.

Oh and I’m vain.[/quote]

Interesting.

Well, good luck.

I am starting week two on this workout. I did the leg workout earlier and I’m not sure how I feel about it. The 18 rep squat sets are tough but doesn’t ever feel heavy so am I losing some of the benefits of the squat? Any thoughts? corrections?