Oct 12 Cool Tips

The tip given today is this:

Have your new client make a list of all exercises performed over the last two months. With that information you can effectively design a program that’s sure to produce great results. How’s that accomplished? Easy, have the client perform exercises that aren’t on the list. Consistency is great for many aspects of life, but consistency in exercise selection isn’t good for achieving strength-training results. Keep the list handy, and don’t go back to any of the exercises for six to eight weeks. The newfound results will have your client rushing out to buy you a new BMW (or maybe just a latte at Starbucks).

This may be the dumbbest thing I have read in a while. I understand what he is saying, that sometimes you need to do something different, but the one sentence in there “Consistency in exercise selection isn’t good for achieving strength training results” is so far off base that I had to say something. Consistency in strength training, with the right exercises, is the very key to achieving results. Skill, or neuromuscular coordination, is totally crucial to developing a high level of strength.

The idea that if someone was doing bench, squat, dead, rows, pull-ups in their regular plan so for the next 8 weeks you aren’t going to do those exercises, when you come back to them prepare to suck at those exercises. Some exercises need to be done very regularly so you become proficient at them.

Then where do you go when that proficiency is established?

I would venture to guess that this does not mean to scratch a type of lift all together, but to use some types of variations.

Its a program, not the rest of the trainee’s life. Read Waterbury’s 4 guaranteed tips from a few days ago and rethink.

It doesn’t mean scratch the movement altogether. For example, if they’ve been doing deadlift, switch to sumo. back squats to Front squats. Barbell bench to dumbell, and so forth. There are so many variations of each core lift, you cna do the same basic movements for a long time without repeating them.

He’s not advocating getting rid of core movements, he’s saying that most clients that go to a trainer will have been doing exercises like bench, leg extension, lat pulldown, curls, tricep pressdown, ie exercises they like and are good at. So the trainer would then recommend incline bench, squats, pullups and dips amd the person would get great results. Thats what I got out of it.