Occasional Partying Affecting Athletic Performance

Here is my theory - the feeling you get from drinking and smoking is litteraly your bodies allergic reaction to the substances. Based on this, I believe that why would you consume something that your body has an adverse reaction to. As I have gotten older I have done less and less of both.

In fact, it is very rare that I will have more than 2 beers in a day and I may go weeks between having any beer. Personally, I find I feel better day in and day out when I am not drinking and half the reason I work out is to feel good. No sense in doing two activities that are fighting each other.

so if I see this correctly everybody is telling a highschool age kid that he should be drinking wisely.

Wow.

It’s pretty simple actually. The more seriuos you are about your performance and body the less you’ll drink and smoke weed. While some marathoners might recover glucose with a beer, i’m sure a cup of Surge is better.

If you need alcohol and weed to have fun then you have other social issues that need to be addressed. All potheads and alcoholics please notice I said NEED. Yes a blunt and some drinks makes times easier and MORE fun, but you shouldn’t NEED it to have a good time. Remember theres always a better chance if SHE’S drunk and your not.

As to performance I’ll add my observations.

I was never much of a weed smoker, first few times you smoke weed will hurt your cardio performance. However, half the NBA smokes even during the season, and some of the ones who run the most smoke alot so I think in the long run it doesn’t hurt. May be possible to even help. But if your doing it once in a blue just to party your hurting yourself.

Alcohol is poison, good for absolutely nothing but easing tension. It’s far to easy to overdose. Within a very tiny range beers and wine can aide the body, however it’s not because of the liquor. It slows protein production(fact) and reduces testosterone(supposedly). I say supposedly for testosterone because studies always say for the next 24 hours or 48, but they never say if there was an overshoot after to compensate, and its a known fact that testerone production cycles with no predictability.

Improvements can be made while drinking however they won’t compare to not drinking.

I have seen elite athletes drink, but rarely within any time frame close to their event. I’ve never seen elite athletes pass the highschool level drink repeatedly and be successful.

Dude I’m gonna tell your mom. But seriously though, “only” drinking once a week is a lot. Especially when you’re having more than 2 or 3 drinks. That’s what we call binge drinking.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
so if I see this correctly everybody is telling a highschool age kid that he should be drinking wisely.

[/quote]

I think that most laws are more of sugestions. Especially ones that have to do with what youre doing to your own body. If you’re being stupid enough to get “caught” doing it, then you probably wernt mature enough to handle whatever you were doing, and thus shouldn’t be doing it.

A lot of drug laws are silly, and should be used more as a guideline to research what you’re doing, and use it responsibly. The general population is pretty damn stupid, and shouldn’t have their hands on things that could make them act even stupider.

Everyone is basically telling him to be smart about it, and see how its effecting his life, and if hes on the negative end more than the positive end, he should probably cut back. In other words yes, everyone is telling a highschool student to drink wisely.

weed has a lot of anti inflammatory properties so its pretty good for you-always smoke with vaporizer if you can though-, and red wine has reversatrol which is great for you.

Do what you enjoy doing, no one on this site is perfect with their diet and training thats why when you look at rate my physique most of them look like shit.

If you work hard eat right most of the time you deserve to enjoy life a little.

I’m never going to be a hard ass if my friends want to go out and enjoy some beer watching a game. Of course my friends are not big drinks and smokers so its rare we do it though. If your friends only know how to have fun is with drinking and smoking you should get new friends.

Also maybe most of the pro athletes are as good as they are because they do drink and smoke on occasion to take some stress away from there rigorous training life.

Airtruth, so you’re that creepy guy at the parties staying sober and getting girls drunk? Let the kid make his own decisions and spare us your drug counseling bullshit.

I am currently in high school and I play a spring sport (Rowing). I gave up drinking about 2 and a half months ago. Besides for the fact that you CAN’T lose weight or gain muscle while alcohol is in your system I really hated the way I felt after a day of drinking.

I still smoke pot sometimes. Not as much as I used too but a blunt here or there won’t kill you.

I workout 6 days a week and have intense erging sessions almost every day and I honestly don’t think I would if I drank.

Don’t let your friends convince you to drink either if you don’t want too.

So “once a week” means “occasionally” for you? You mean “regularly” I guess?

Smoking weed for the anti inflammatory effect is like eating ice cream for the calcium.

I had an extended walk on period at Cal for D1 javelin. Its serious shit and was over my level so I got cut eventually. In the mean time I made friends with a lot of the guys. I ended up founding a pretty baller frat. Because of the connections from the track team and my house renting rooms to football players as boarders I got plenty trashed (booze, weed, worse) with a lot of different amazing athletes. All will remain nameless because several have gone pro at this point. Moral of the story is, don’t over do it, but don’t be terrified to have a good time when you deserve it.

Just for the record, drinking ‘like’ once a week and smoking weed multiple times a month is NOT considered an occasional partier.

I won’t assume to much, but you probably binge drink, get high, and really loose out on your sleep. Every 5-6 days.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t do this, but if you want to be a serious athlete then good luck.

if you drink you end up like these guys lol

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Remember theres always a better chance if SHE’S drunk and your not.
[/quote]

I nominate this for Strong Words. Lol.

[quote]Defekt wrote:
I think that most laws are more of sugestions. [/quote]

Don’t worry I refuse to respond to anybody who would seriously type this.

TStud_9 -

wtf? are you mad I fucked your sister? Maybe if you weren’t so inebriated maybe you could’ve read my complete post and saw that I simply stated facts and observations, so that the young kid can make his own decisions.

Instead of stating “I See Elite athletes drinking all the time”, as if that does nothing to you. When I myself have “seen elite athletes drink their back out”, but then not drink anything for months at a time because at that point its what they need to do to succeed.

I didn’t mean to break up your party, go finish giving head to that corona bottle.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
Airtruth wrote:
Remember theres always a better chance if SHE’S drunk and your not.

I nominate this for Strong Words. Lol.

[/quote]

Thug Motivation

[quote]Crusher Jr. wrote:
Just for the record, drinking ‘like’ once a week and smoking weed multiple times a month is NOT considered an occasional partier.

I won’t assume to much, but you probably binge drink, get high, and really loose out on your sleep. Every 5-6 days.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t do this, but if you want to be a serious athlete then good luck.[/quote]

I didn’t post everything correctly. I don’t drink/smoke every weekend, I do it 2 to 3 times a month. This is a lot better than some kids who do it every friday and saturday or even worse every day.

Also, I don’t do it just because my friends do. I do it because it helps me loosen up and relax. And I don’t want to be that weird straight edge loser.

If you stay the near side of tipsy say 3-4 beers, 5 max and have a good amount of water the next day, weekend drinking will have little effect.

2-3 beers a few times a week won’t do much either if your sleep is ok. Went out 19 days in a row at uni sticking to this and training was still ok.

Unless you have great genetics I would steer clear of getting properly trashed and if so do it very rarely-once every 4-6 months.
As a side note 90% of the time you’ll put yourself out of the game with any quality ass if you’re shitfaced

[quote]nms33 wrote:
Crusher Jr. wrote:

I’m not saying you shouldn’t do this, but if you want to be a serious athlete then good luck.

I didn’t post everything correctly. I don’t drink/smoke every weekend, I do it 2 to 3 times a month. This is a lot better than some kids who do it every friday and saturday or even worse every day.

Also, I don’t do it just because my friends do. I do it because it helps me loosen up and relax. And I don’t want to be that weird straight edge loser. [/quote]

Weird straight edge loser, huh?

Guess I enjoy my weird straight edge style.

Don’t really drink and never found a need to (or a want).

I am a collegiate cheerleader, at the highest level of the sport, and I would have to say that all of the best elite tumblers in the sport drink and smoke, a lot. And I am talking about tumbling almost to the level of Olympic gymnasts. I even know a a cheerleader that will be competing for USA’s power tumbling that drinks regularly. And i’m pretty sure he did somke, but can’t now since he has to undergo regular drug testing.
Also, I do know a lot of tumblers that perform better high. Some do it before a competition, but I consider that reckless, sense the athletes have to do more than tumble in routines.
But in a way it makes sense, they learn to let their bodys go higher in tumbling, because a lot of the fear is gone. And from what they told me, they get more air awareness because it seems like everything is going slower.

So am I recommending smoking it up before participating in sports? no. But is it possible that it could increase performance, especially in individual skill-based sports? could be.

[quote]BxExNx wrote:
Dude I’m gonna tell your mom. But seriously though, “only” drinking once a week is a lot. Especially when you’re having more than 2 or 3 drinks. That’s what we call binge drinking.[/quote]

Are you serious?