T Nation

Obsession?

Hi, I recently started lifting about 6 months ago when school started, since then I have had massive gains.

But, there is a problem, I think i am becoming Muscle Dysmorphic or Something, Its become and obsession and it all I can think about.

I feel that anything and everyting around me is making my muscle mass decrease. Aything from Ciggarette Smoke to smell of a Magic Marker upsets me.

Can this type of stuff decrease your muscle mass?

[quote]Irish_Iron wrote:
Hi, I recently started lifting about 6 months ago when school started, since then I have had massive gains.

But, there is a problem, I think i am becoming Muscle Dysmorphic or Something, Its become and obsession and it all I can think about.

I feel that anything and everyting around me is making my muscle mass decrease. Aything from Ciggarette Smoke to smell of a Magic Marker upsets me.

Can this type of stuff decrease your muscle mass?[/quote]

Well, it kinda can. If you are stressing out to the point of insomnia and loss of appetite you will not make the gains you want.

relax dude magic marker smell isnt gonna fuck you up.

That is ridiculous. Where did you hear this stuff? Eat enough, lift enough, sleep enough. All other details are subordinate to these. If you have been making massive gains, you are on the right track.

Cigarette smoke is going to catabolize muscle how? Try and rationalize it for yourself and see if the mere process does not turn you off worrying about it. Magic marker? Again, I have to ask, what kind of literature are you reading? They must really be magic.

I think the only thing you should be worrying about is that all of your worrying is going to start catabolizing muscle.

[quote]Irish_Iron wrote:
Hi, I recently started lifting about 6 months ago when school started, since then I have had massive gains.

But, there is a problem, I think i am becoming Muscle Dysmorphic or Something, Its become and obsession and it all I can think about.

I feel that anything and everyting around me is making my muscle mass decrease. Aything from Ciggarette Smoke to smell of a Magic Marker upsets me.

Can this type of stuff decrease your muscle mass?[/quote]

is this something that is a reaction to something you are eating or taking in your body to get so irritable or nervous??

[quote]Irish_Iron wrote:
Hi, I recently started lifting about 6 months ago when school started, since then I have had massive gains.

But, there is a problem, I think i am becoming Muscle Dysmorphic or Something, Its become and obsession and it all I can think about.

I feel that anything and everyting around me is making my muscle mass decrease. Aything from Ciggarette Smoke to smell of a Magic Marker upsets me.

Can this type of stuff decrease your muscle mass?[/quote]

keep some kind of perspective on your life and fit bodybuilding into it, instead of bodybuilding being your life!
Regular pussy usually helps

Thanks guys, Just needed to let that out… noone understands, I just feel like im having a damn panic attack when it happens.

[quote]Irish_Iron wrote:
Thanks guys, Just needed to let that out… noone understands, I just feel like im having a damn panic attack when it happens.[/quote]

What you are talking about is not normal. There is no reason to have a panic attack because someone near you is smoking. You would have to be focusing on the most minute environmental pathogens and relating that to physical harm. You have taken what many of these guys do with relation to food (by overanalyzing the smallest detail to the point that they barely make progress) and applied it to your entire life.

You may actually need to speak to someone about this.

I have no doubt that if you are reacting like this to things you can’t even control, your approach to lifting and eating must be near extreme OCD.

How much do you weigh? How old are you? How tall are you? How much have you gained in the past 6 months?

Dude, what about the bacteria? there are millions of them out there. The worst thing for making gains is to get sick or injured. If I were you I would stay inside, and never go out to risk being harmed. Also, don’t forget to sterilize your house.

You should trust Professor X about the secondhand smoke effecting your gains. He’s a doctor.

Height-5’8
Weight-180
Age-18

Been training since freshman year on and off but started lifting seriously when school started, about 10 months ago.

[quote]tveddy wrote:
Dude, what about the bacteria? there are millions of them out there. The worst thing for making gains is to get sick or injured. If I were you I would stay inside, and never go out to risk being harmed. Also, don’t forget to sterilize your house.[/quote]

Even worse, there are billions of bacteria in your body. Maybe you better sterilize your body as well.

[quote]Irish_Iron wrote:
Height-5’8
Weight-180
Age-18

Been training since freshman year on and off but started lifting seriously when school started, about 10 months ago.[/quote]

You said 6 earlier.

[quote]sharetrader wrote:
tveddy wrote:
Dude, what about the bacteria? there are millions of them out there. The worst thing for making gains is to get sick or injured. If I were you I would stay inside, and never go out to risk being harmed. Also, don’t forget to sterilize your house.

Even worse, there are billions of bacteria in your body. Maybe you better sterilize your body as well.[/quote]

You should also avoid contact with other people. To them, you are an outer body AND source of micro-organisms. Their immune system WILL attack you.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Irish_Iron wrote:
Thanks guys, Just needed to let that out… noone understands, I just feel like im having a damn panic attack when it happens.

What you are talking about is not normal. There is no reason to have a panic attack because someone near you is smoking. You would have to be focusing on the most minute environmental pathogens and relating that to physical harm. You have taken what many of these guys do with relation to food (by overanalyzing the smallest detail to the point that they barely make progress) and applied it to your entire life.

You may actually need to speak to someone about this.

I have no doubt that if you are reacting like this to things you can’t even control, your approach to lifting and eating must be near extreme OCD.

How much do you weigh? How old are you? How tall are you? How much have you gained in the past 6 months?[/quote]

…profx, with approximately 16 thousand and a half posts in 4.5 years, weighs in on what’s normal…

[quote]P1 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Irish_Iron wrote:
Thanks guys, Just needed to let that out… noone understands, I just feel like im having a damn panic attack when it happens.

What you are talking about is not normal. There is no reason to have a panic attack because someone near you is smoking. You would have to be focusing on the most minute environmental pathogens and relating that to physical harm. You have taken what many of these guys do with relation to food (by overanalyzing the smallest detail to the point that they barely make progress) and applied it to your entire life.

You may actually need to speak to someone about this.

I have no doubt that if you are reacting like this to things you can’t even control, your approach to lifting and eating must be near extreme OCD.

How much do you weigh? How old are you? How tall are you? How much have you gained in the past 6 months?

…profx, with approximately 16 thousand and a half posts in 4.5 years, weighs in on what’s normal…
[/quote]

if you don’t have anything useful to say than make attacks on people trying to help move on.

[quote]Irish_Iron wrote:
But, there is a problem, I think i am becoming Muscle Dysmorphic or Something, Its become and obsession and it all I can think about.[/quote]

Give how small you are, you are not muscle dysmorphic. You are as small as you think you are.

[quote]P1 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Irish_Iron wrote:
Thanks guys, Just needed to let that out… noone understands, I just feel like im having a damn panic attack when it happens.

What you are talking about is not normal. There is no reason to have a panic attack because someone near you is smoking. You would have to be focusing on the most minute environmental pathogens and relating that to physical harm. You have taken what many of these guys do with relation to food (by overanalyzing the smallest detail to the point that they barely make progress) and applied it to your entire life.

You may actually need to speak to someone about this.

I have no doubt that if you are reacting like this to things you can’t even control, your approach to lifting and eating must be near extreme OCD.

How much do you weigh? How old are you? How tall are you? How much have you gained in the past 6 months?

…profx, with approximately 16 thousand and a half posts in 4.5 years, weighs in on what’s normal…
[/quote]

Dude

Give the Prof a break.He gives good posts.So what if he has thousands of posts? Its not like he posting useless shit like 140 pound teenagers post day after day.

Look im not one of his many fanboys but i find his posts to be some of the funniest yet brutal and honest on this site.

Now i didn’t want to hijack this post and make it all about Prof x but FUCKIT! i think i just did.

To the OP

U need balance in your life from the sounds of it.Do u have a girlfriend? … Job?

I know when i was 16 all i could think about was bodybuilding.i would miss social events just so i could stay home and eat.I look back and think WHY!
I didnt start gaining muscle until i stopped growing in height which was 18.

My greatest gains came when i had a girlfriend and a job.Bodybuilding is just a small part of my life nowadays.I love doing it but i wont miss social events or not stand near my friends who smoke.
Go on a holiday and forget about bodybuilding all together for a while,it may help/may not?

I hope it improves for u soon mate.

King of Kings

[quote]P1 wrote:

…profx, with approximately 16 thousand and a half posts in 4.5 years, weighs in on what’s normal…
[/quote]

I’ve been here much longer than 4.5 years, dumbass. When they switched the board years ago, we all kept our post counts even though the sign up date changed, but thanks for your input.

I thought I remembered you from somewhere.

[quote]P1 wrote:
Hey, I was wondering if anyone knew what the best pull-up variation is to minimize trap involvement. Thanks.[/quote]