Obsessed or Dedicated

[quote]ronaldo7 wrote:

I’m going to Russia to visit this girl. [/quote]

If she looks anything like Anna Kournikova, then you best start packing.

Go on vacay and eat clean for the most part. Don’t over-induldge keep your cals right, and just enjoy it, 2 weeks won’t kill you.

Last time I was on vacation I never missed a workout, there was a gym in the hotel, a crappy one, but it got the job done.

considering the state of health in north america i think a lot of people would do themselves some good to be more “obsessed” and “selfish” about their bodies

Oh im obsessed as fuck when it comes to workin out. People are stupid just tell them to blow it out their ass.

Well why dont you overtrain to the point of shutdown up untill 2 days before you leave.

Then you will be supercompensating for most of your holiday :slight_smile:

Thats the basis i work on for any holidays i take.

2 days before you leave with LOADS of food, will have you well on the road to recovery and sun sea sand sex will do MORE for you than skipping a holiday for a week in the gym.

[quote]elusive wrote:
Obsession does not always equal dedication. Lots of Professional Bodybuilders I wouldn’t even call obsessed. They are extremely dedicated, but they have other things in their lives they worry about as well. Bodybuilding doesn’t always pay the bills and many bodybuilders (most) need a seperate job (or two) on the side to pay the bills. To be obsessed would be to the point where bodybuilding was always on your mind. You had to constantly watch it, read it, discuss it and practice it. Dedication is doing EVERYTHING you need to do to be your best, while balancing other things in your life also.[/quote]

Good post. If you’re skipping a chance to visit a foreign country you’ve never been to before (I’m assuming) to get in one extra week of squats, then you are obsessing. You (OP) sound, no offense, like someone who yo-yos between extremes, from McDonald’s to the V-Diet. Congrats for getting your weight sorted, but pack some almonds and protein bars, find a gym to get in three workouts a week if you can, and have fun. I remember a guy posting on here that he didn’t want to study abroad for a few months because it might hinder his lifting. At that point, training is no longer enhancing your life.

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
elusive wrote:
Obsession does not always equal dedication. Lots of Professional Bodybuilders I wouldn’t even call obsessed. They are extremely dedicated, but they have other things in their lives they worry about as well. Bodybuilding doesn’t always pay the bills and many bodybuilders (most) need a seperate job (or two) on the side to pay the bills. To be obsessed would be to the point where bodybuilding was always on your mind. You had to constantly watch it, read it, discuss it and practice it. Dedication is doing EVERYTHING you need to do to be your best, while balancing other things in your life also.

Good post. If you’re skipping a chance to visit a foreign country you’ve never been to before (I’m assuming) to get in one extra week of squats, then you are obsessing. You (OP) sound, no offense, like someone who yo-yos between extremes, from McDonald’s to the V-Diet. Congrats for getting your weight sorted, but pack some almonds and protein bars, find a gym to get in three workouts a week if you can, and have fun. I remember a guy posting on here that he didn’t want to study abroad for a few months because it might hinder his lifting. At that point, training is no longer enhancing your life.[/quote]

That is true however I think that depends on how far you really want to go. I believe life has phases and chapters. For example right now I feel like I can do anything with regards to bodybuilding. I have been training around 1-2 years and feel like I haven’t achieved much.

After I’m done with the V-Diet I’m going to be sitting at 167lbs at 5’11" and eager to pack on the muscle and actually bodybuild.

If it were someone who has been at it for years and has achieved alot in regards to their body then it would be another story. My motivation and confidence are at my highest and it feels like I’m only starting. Yes skipping a chance to go to a foreign country might be a little obsessive but I am only 20 and sure there would be a few times in which I will have this opportunity again(when I actually have money to spend on the vacation without having to go into debt like know :stuck_out_tongue: e.t.c).

I like to feel like I deserve my vacation which isn’t the case now. Call me obsessed, I know it won’t last for-ever and that is why I must take advantage now. Because with this “obsession” I will take my body composition veru far whithing the next months.

[quote]ronaldo7 wrote:
GDollars37 wrote:
elusive wrote:
Obsession does not always equal dedication. Lots of Professional Bodybuilders I wouldn’t even call obsessed. They are extremely dedicated, but they have other things in their lives they worry about as well. Bodybuilding doesn’t always pay the bills and many bodybuilders (most) need a seperate job (or two) on the side to pay the bills. To be obsessed would be to the point where bodybuilding was always on your mind. You had to constantly watch it, read it, discuss it and practice it. Dedication is doing EVERYTHING you need to do to be your best, while balancing other things in your life also.

Good post. If you’re skipping a chance to visit a foreign country you’ve never been to before (I’m assuming) to get in one extra week of squats, then you are obsessing. You (OP) sound, no offense, like someone who yo-yos between extremes, from McDonald’s to the V-Diet. Congrats for getting your weight sorted, but pack some almonds and protein bars, find a gym to get in three workouts a week if you can, and have fun. I remember a guy posting on here that he didn’t want to study abroad for a few months because it might hinder his lifting. At that point, training is no longer enhancing your life.

That is true however I think that depends on how far you really want to go. I believe life has phases and chapters. For example right now I feel like I can do anything with regards to bodybuilding. I have been training around 1-2 years and feel like I haven’t achieved much.

After I’m done with the V-Diet I’m going to be sitting at 167lbs at 5’11" and eager to pack on the muscle and actually bodybuild.

If it were someone who has been at it for years and has achieved alot in regards to their body then it would be another story. My motivation and confidence are at my highest and it feels like I’m only starting. Yes skipping a chance to go to a foreign country might be a little obsessive but I am only 20 and sure there would be a few times in which I will have this opportunity again(when I actually have money to spend on the vacation without having to go into debt like know :stuck_out_tongue: e.t.c).
[/quote]

It’s your life man, but it’s funny, things could go very differently down the line, you may not have this opportunity again. And as I said, one or two weeks are not gonna make a huge difference if you knuckle down the rest of the time. Same principle as cheat meals.

I thought about this further and kind of changed my mind.

When a person puts soo much effort into something they expect something back. Today I was thinking about the vacation and bodybuilding. There are 365 days in a year and this vacation will take 13 of those days.

Now if I were a competitive bodybuilder then I could understand how that could be a problem but I’m not. This can be an opportunity for me to learn how to find balance in life.

Training is great but there is soo much more to life than just hitting the weights and eating clean. If I am not a competitive bodybuilder than what do I lift for? to feel better about my-self and to some extent be more confident in everyday life.

but what life am I living if all I think about is bodybuilding?. Does bodybuilding talk to me? does it give me head? does it laugh with me? The answer is NO.

To put and end to it, leaning towards ONE thing can leave you disappointed in the end. It’s like when you have a girl friend, you forget about everything and everyone else. One day that girlfriend breaks up with you and all of a sudden you are lonely and empty. This could be the case with putting too much effort into one particular thing which in this case could be bodybuilding. THERE SHOULD ALWAYS BE BALANCE IN LIFE BECAUSE IF THAT ONE THING YOU WORK SO HARD FOR GOES WRONG THEN YOU WILL HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO BE HAPPY ABOUT. LiFe is too dynamic and as much as we like to plan ahead we are not in control of MANY THINGS.

At the end of the day people who lift and live this life style shouldn’t forget why they started in the first place. Don’t let this become something negative in your life but instead use it to make you a better/more confident person.

done :-).

If you are just ‘obsessed’, you are still on the fence in my opinion.

For me, this is bigger than religion. This is certainly bigger than any lame obsession.

This just IS. There is no stopping it.

I could lose my legs at the knee, and I’d find a way to do squats.

Obsession is a cologne. Lifting is life.

People talking alot of sense here.
I dont like the word obsessed. Only if it is actually the case. Id just say highly passionate about. If it improves the quality of your life. Its goodness

i think im more just really dedicated to it, most of my conversations with people end up being about their diets or working out, half my text messages come from people wanting advice. i read up all i can on it

whether your obsessed or dedicated, fuck everyone else and just do it if it’s what you want to do. My family thinks I’m wasting my time going to the gym, eating healthy shit. They’re always saying that “don’t be so obsessed and live a little” and I tell them that this is my life and it is what makes me happy, not pizza and Conan (Obrien that is, the Barbarian is awesome)

[quote]BJammin wrote:
whether your obsessed or dedicated, fuck everyone else and just do it if it’s what you want to do. My family thinks I’m wasting my time going to the gym, eating healthy shit. They’re always saying that “don’t be so obsessed and live a little” and I tell them that this is my life and it is what makes me happy, not pizza and Conan (Obrien that is, the Barbarian is awesome)[/quote]

Nice post. This happens to me at times but eating clean and exercising makes me feel good and happy. Seeing my body change and imagining my-self looking big and strong keeps me going and prioritizing this “obsession” over anything and everything.

[quote]ronaldo7 wrote:
BJammin wrote:
whether your obsessed or dedicated, fuck everyone else and just do it if it’s what you want to do. My family thinks I’m wasting my time going to the gym, eating healthy shit.

They’re always saying that “don’t be so obsessed and live a little” and I tell them that this is my life and it is what makes me happy, not pizza and Conan (Obrien that is, the Barbarian is awesome)

Thats shit dude that people in your family are like that. Your attitude is bang on tho, so their negative shit wont effect you.

[quote]josh86 wrote:
“Obsession is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated”[/quote]

/thread

Nothing else needs to be said. The weak will always try to cut you down. The question is: Are you strong enough to stay standing?