Obsessed or Dedicated

Is there a line to be drawn?

Some would say body-building is obsessive as it is a 24/7 hobby/sport.

What do you think?

“Obsession is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated”

This is what I tell anyone who uses the word obsessed when talking to me about my training.

[quote]josh86 wrote:

This is what I tell anyone who uses the word obsessed when talking to me about my training. [/quote]

thats what im going to start telling people lol

[quote]josh86 wrote:

This is what I tell anyone who uses the word obsessed when talking to me about my training. [/quote]

Pretty much. Go to the gym more than twice a month and you live there. Eat chicken breasts and broccoli two days in a row for lunch and you are a freak. Have a respectable amount of muscle, the same people who accuse you of being a gym rat and health freak will seemingly bypass that line of thought and assume you are on gear.

People are stupid.

If you really want to be good at something, you have to be obsessed with it. Obsession is not always a bad thing.

Oh i’m definitely obsessed. No doubt.

also, I’d rather use the word passionate when it’s something that can better you

[quote]MeinHerzBrennt wrote:
Oh i’m definitely obsessed. No doubt.[/quote]

ME too. I love it. I can talk about it forever. I hate it when you are with people and thats all you want to talk about. SOmetimes it’s apparent though that others don’t have that much interest in it.Sometimes I ll be at work and I will be thinking what exercises I want to do for that day. Yes, very obsessed. And as far as the eating goes, I try to stay VERY CLEAN. On weekends I’ll be out with friends and I will eat junk but I don’t enjoy it. I love the way eating clean makes me feel and look.

[quote]Stength4life wrote:
MeinHerzBrennt wrote:

ME too. I love it. I can talk about it forever. I hate it when you are with people and thats all you want to talk about. SOmetimes it’s apparent though that others don’t have that much interest in it.Sometimes I ll be at work and I will be thinking what exercises I want to do for that day. Yes, very obsessed. And as far as the eating goes, I try to stay VERY CLEAN. On weekends I’ll be out with friends and I will eat junk but I don’t enjoy it. I love the way eating clean makes me feel and look. [/quote]

Man, I know how you feel, I used to think eating junk would make me feel good like I was somehow missing out by eating clean… But the truth is I always feel worse after eating junk, ALWAYS, unless it’s a damn good burger, then I enjoy it, but afterword I usually don’t feel so good.

I ask this because I’m actually thinking about skiping my vacation to achieve my goals faster. It makes me feel kind of weird because I don’t even compete and if I did it would be in 5+ years :-(. I just feel like I’m taking it way too far.

[quote]ronaldo7 wrote:
I ask this because I’m actually thinking about skiping my vacation to achieve my goals faster. It makes me feel kind of weird because I don’t even compete and if I did it would be in 5+ years :-(. I just feel like I’m taking it way too far.[/quote]

Well give us some more info. How long is the vacation? where is it? How long has it been since you last went on vacation?

I’m definitely, undeniably, obsessed with this stuff. I think about it more than law school.

However, i’m all for vacations because at least for me, they have involved going somewhere warm and tropical, and only happen maybe once a year. I started my DC training I think 2 weeks before going on a cruise. Not a DC cruise mind you, but one to Bermuda. Fuck yeah I stopped lifting for that! Besides, it was free.

Anyway, there is a line to be drawn and it’s completely your decision obviously, but IMO if you haven’t been on vacation in a long time and it’s to a place you would love to go, i’d say go on vacation. These things don’t come up too often for most of us.

Obsession does not always equal dedication. Lots of Professional Bodybuilders I wouldn’t even call obsessed. They are extremely dedicated, but they have other things in their lives they worry about as well. Bodybuilding doesn’t always pay the bills and many bodybuilders (most) need a seperate job (or two) on the side to pay the bills. To be obsessed would be to the point where bodybuilding was always on your mind. You had to constantly watch it, read it, discuss it and practice it. Dedication is doing EVERYTHING you need to do to be your best, while balancing other things in your life also.

IMO something comes into the realm of obsession when it becomes unhealthy.

Someone like Greg Valentino, who shoots oil into their muscles to the point where they become infected and a large amount of tissue has to be amputated, is “obsessed”.

Someone who eats healthy/and enough, gets enough rest each night, goes to the gym to make their body stronger/healthier on a regular basis is not “obsessed”, but dedicated.

MeinHerzBrennt wrote:

ME too. I love it. I can talk about it forever. I hate it when you are with people and thats all you want to talk about. SOmetimes it’s apparent though that others don’t have that much interest in it.Sometimes I ll be at work and I will be thinking what exercises I want to do for that day. Yes, very obsessed. And as far as the eating goes, I try to stay VERY CLEAN. On weekends I’ll be out with friends and I will eat junk but I don’t enjoy it. I love the way eating clean makes me feel and look. [/quote]

I know what you mean. There isn’t really anyone that I can talk to in person about this because no one I know personally loves it as much as I do.

MeinHerzBrennt wrote:

Took the words right out of my mouth.

[quote]MeinHerzBrennt wrote:
ronaldo7 wrote:
I ask this because I’m actually thinking about skiping my vacation to achieve my goals faster. It makes me feel kind of weird because I don’t even compete and if I did it would be in 5+ years :-(. I just feel like I’m taking it way too far.

Well give us some more info. How long is the vacation? where is it? How long has it been since you last went on vacation?

I’m definitely, undeniably, obsessed with this stuff. I think about it more than law school.

However, i’m all for vacations because at least for me, they have involved going somewhere warm and tropical, and only happen maybe once a year. I started my DC training I think 2 weeks before going on a cruise. Not a DC cruise mind you, but one to Bermuda. Fuck yeah I stopped lifting for that! Besides, it was free.

Anyway, there is a line to be drawn and it’s completely your decision obviously, but IMO if you haven’t been on vacation in a long time and it’s to a place you would love to go, i’d say go on vacation. These things don’t come up too often for most of us.[/quote]

I’m going to Russia to visit this girl. Havent been on vacation since last august when I went to Colombia. This year was horrible for me with training and diet though. I gained a bunch of fat and was depressed for a while which made my diet go to shits…McDonalds, pizza, donuts, cookies…you name it. Now I’m almost done with the V-Diet and my motivation is the highest it’s ever been and I feel in shape again.

It’s like I don’t want to stop right now but the vacation was booked before the start of my “comeback”. If I don’t go then I can be gaining some quality weight by then but if I do go then I might have to delay it 1-2 months since I will be staying there for 14 days and once home I will probably eat bellow or around maintenance and start adding calories weekly until I start gaining some good weight.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

Someone like Greg Valentino, who shoots oil into their muscles to the point where they become infected and a large amount of tissue has to be amputated, is “obsessed”.
[/quote]
That’s more stupidity than obsession.

[quote]Artem wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:

That’s more stupidity than obsession.
[/quote]

It’s both.

skipping a vacation sounds stupid to me. Rocky did quite alright while in Russia :smiley:

I suppose it’s like the difference between eccentric and crazy.

The ones deemed successful, also have the privilege of being dedicated. Those who haven’t gotten the title of successful, are just obsessed.