Obscure Quotes That Made You Think

[quote]Deorum wrote:
Don’t believe me? Try to make sense of some of Einstein’s work(using a generic example). If Einstein walked up to you today and poured his entire body of knowledge on you, you would likely call him a quack and dismiss it all without even attempting to understand it.
[/quote]

I actually understand all of Einstein’s work and then some…but I’m a theoretical physicist who studies gravity…lol. Any theoretical physicist today actually has a MUCH larger body of knowledge than Einstein ever did. That’s just the way it works. I would only call Einstein a quack for dismissing quantum physics.

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:
I like this one in particular:

“The practice which the writers of these books employ is not more false than it is absurd. They state some trifling case of the person they call Jesus Christ, and then cut out a sentence from some passage of the Old Testament and call it a prophecy of that case. But when the words thus cut out are restored to the place they are taken from, and read with the words before and after them, they give the lie to the New Testament. A short instance or two of this will suffice for the whole.” - Thomas Paine[/quote]

Thomas Paine supporter of regicide peace…

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Deorum wrote:
Don’t believe me? Try to make sense of some of Einstein’s work(using a generic example). If Einstein walked up to you today and poured his entire body of knowledge on you, you would likely call him a quack and dismiss it all without even attempting to understand it.
[/quote]

I actually understand all of Einstein’s work and then some…but I’m a theoretical physicist who studies gravity…lol. Any theoretical physicist today actually has a MUCH larger body of knowledge than Einstein ever did. That’s just the way it works. I would only call Einstein a quack for dismissing quantum physics.
[/quote]

I don’t think deorum was talking about people like you, lol. And in Einstein’s case, it is perhaps better to talk about his intelligence rather than body of knowledge. Clearly, the guy had something more going on in his lobes than 99% of the population.

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Deorum wrote:
[/quote]

[/quote]

I don’t think deorum was talking about people like you, lol. And in Einstein’s case, it is perhaps better to talk about his intelligence rather than body of knowledge. Clearly, the guy had something more going on in his lobes than 99% of the population.[/quote]

I know, I know. I was just giving OP a hard time, because I’m a nerd. I could open a whole other discussion about what YOU mean by “intelligence” here, because everyone has a different notion. What made Einstein stand out was his creativity. He was able to piece together tools/ideas from earlier mathematicians to describe the universe in a completely revolutionary way…and a more correct way too.

There’s no way of saying he had more going on in his lobes than 99% of the population. I’m not sure if you’ve heard of Richard Feynman, but he’s another great mind coming from particle physics who made quantum field theory more accessible to the general population with some popular literature. He won a nobel prize and is regarded as one of the greatest minds to pass through the particle physics communitiy. Yet, he was recorded as having an IQ in the 50th percentile…just AVERAGE!

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Deorum wrote:
[/quote]

[/quote]

I don’t think deorum was talking about people like you, lol. And in Einstein’s case, it is perhaps better to talk about his intelligence rather than body of knowledge. Clearly, the guy had something more going on in his lobes than 99% of the population.[/quote]

I know, I know. I was just giving OP a hard time, because I’m a nerd. I could open a whole other discussion about what YOU mean by “intelligence” here, because everyone has a different notion. What made Einstein stand out was his creativity. He was able to piece together tools/ideas from earlier mathematicians to describe the universe in a completely revolutionary way…and a more correct way too.

There’s no way of saying he had more going on in his lobes than 99% of the population. I’m not sure if you’ve heard of Richard Feynman, but he’s another great mind coming from particle physics who made quantum field theory more accessible to the general population with some popular literature. He won a nobel prize and is regarded as one of the greatest minds to pass through the particle physics communitiy. Yet, he was recorded as having an IQ in the 50th percentile…just AVERAGE! [/quote]

I love Feynman. I’m not a scientist at all, so I guess that says something about the guy.

Of course you can ask me what I mean about intelligence, but I’d simply refuse to answer, hehe. I hate the word, but unfortunately we have to use it.

And when I mention lobes, that’s just my turn of phrase for “what’s going on in his head”

Goodness, you are a nerd! Good work.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

I like this one in particular:

“The practice which the writers of these books employ is not more false than it is absurd. They state some trifling case of the person they call Jesus Christ, and then cut out a sentence from some passage of the Old Testament and call it a prophecy of that case. But when the words thus cut out are restored to the place they are taken from, and read with the words before and after them, they give the lie to the New Testament. A short instance or two of this will suffice for the whole.” - Thomas Paine[/quote]

Thomas Paine supporter of regicide peace…[/quote]

Fallacious. Don’t fall into that trap of your religious buddies over in PWI who fancy themselves intellectuals but can’t utter a retort without stepping into a fallacious pothole and breaking their ankles.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Deorum wrote:
[/quote]

[/quote]

There’s no way of saying he had more going on in his lobes than 99% of the population. I’m not sure if you’ve heard of Richard Feynman, but he’s another great mind coming from particle physics who made quantum field theory more accessible to the general population with some popular literature. He won a nobel prize and is regarded as one of the greatest minds to pass through the particle physics communitiy. Yet, he was recorded as having an IQ in the 50th percentile…just AVERAGE! [/quote]

Would love to hear about what’s going on in the study of gravity. Start a thread!

[quote]MementoMori wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:
And now the youth of today would rather text in obscure language than actually converse. Will that degrade or skew the bell curve of intelligence?[/quote]

Eh, I go with idea that a population (as if comparing to a sample) usually fits a normal distribution.

I think it’s a terrible (like Charles) fad/trend/event to see all these people sending 140 character messages instead of learning how to verbally communicate and write prose and letters instead. Just looking at the so called average soldier during various wars writing back to his family/friends/wife, the guy probably couldn’t pass a 3rd grade spelling test, but they sure could write.

What’s even worse on the text messaging, is the connection between people is being lost. Not some random strangers either, but family members and long lasting friends. The relationship just disappears and turns into a 140 character conversation. I simply refuse to text people at all or at the most one text message a day. I have explained to several folks that if it’s important enough that it’ll require more than one message, probably good idea to call me.

Anecdote, about two weeks ago I was invited to a wedding. Now, I knew when and where the wedding was happening before they sent out the invitations. And, I expected a nice hand written invitation in the mail. I’m sure you can guess what form the actual invitation I got. I gave my buddy a call and told him, unless he sent a real invitation he’d not be seeing me at the wedding.

Just thinking about the mundaneness that text messaging puts on life and specially important events. You really are going to announce your engagement through a text message? You’re going to announce you are going to have a child with your wife through a text message? What happened to showing fucking reverence? Hell, a simple phone call would have been better than waking up to a message in the middle of the day saying, “Yo, me and so-and-so are pregnant, dawg! Wanna be the godfather?”[/quote]

I disagree. Communication technology is a medium that enhances your predisposition. (am I thesaurausing?!) What I mean to say is: Naturally socially averse people will use texting and the like as an escape from face to face interaction. Socially skilled people will use it as a means of constant interaction and easy planning.

I work in an indstry that rewards popularity (the bar scene) and most of my friends have over 100 BBM contacts, hundreds more people in their phones and 1500+ friends on facebook. We have more relationships as of result of this reality rather than fewer. Technology is just a tool to serve your aims. This technological determinism is just the irrationality of Luddites like yourself who fear some power influence lurking in their cell phones.

As for the argument that these technologies make people more ignorant… People have always been ignorant; but once upon a time they’d actually have to write a letter and find that person they wanted to annoy. Now they can click a couple buttons and shout their silly notions to the world. Technology doesn’t make people dumber, it makes it easier for them to prove just how stupid they really are.

[/quote]

Not really a Luddite, I just don’t multi-task so the idea of breaking concentration multiple times a day to answer one question at a time is not something I’ll entertain. I call people all throughout the day, and do text, but that is usually announcements, not full blown conversations.

As for your friends and yourself. I am working on a business degree and am an officer in several social and fraternal organizations (who host events weekly). It may not be to the same degree, but I still remain popular sans-texting all day. I still keep everything to phone calls and e-mail/facebook.[/quote]

I can’t not multitask. I seek out as many sources of stimulus as I can when doing work and flicker back and forth between them so as to not become bored. Texting is one of them.
Phone calls I don’t do unless absolutely necessary. I worked in a call centre for years and hate the phone. Email, I don’t use outside of professional requirements.

I use texting as a replacement for each of these things.

“Always talk to God, never listen to the cops.” - most profound philosopher in the world…

The actual quote that made me think the most is this one:

“The enemy is like a woman, weak in face of opposition, but correspondingly strong when not opposed. In a quarrel with a man, it is natural for a woman to lose heart and run away when he faces up to her; on the other hand, if the man begins to be afraid and to give ground, her rage, vindictiveness and fury overflow and know no limit.” - Ignatius

Chauvinism 'til death do us part.[/quote]

“Chauvinists are just big pussies” - debraD

“Ability to endure contradiction is a high sign of culture.”

A Nietzsche paraphrase(not so obscure) and song lyric(obscure), it was something I first heard a long time ago and didn’t think much of. Recently, however, I have found myself very interested in the concept of paradox and when I heard this quote again it meant a little more somehow. I interpret it to be a criticism of human psycho-social(FUCKING NAME DROPcough) interactions. In our society people are expected to conform to very strict images and there is an eery lack in variation. Your always labeled something be it Republican, democrat, right wing, christian, Muslim, gay, ect and somehow your beliefs are supposed to show stringent pattern corresponding to these labels. The scary part? They actually fucking do. You’ve heard it before, stereotypes are so hurtful because they are based in truth - I’ll vouch for that quote here. People find the need to conform to thought patterns in such a way. The ability to endure contradiction is the ability to pull truths from multiple seemingly conflicting thought schools - paradoxical thinking if you will. Independent thought: a high sign of culture.

“Mind over matter… I don’t mind because you don’t matter.”

“Today just isn’t your day, and tomorrow isn’t looking good either.”

“Linemen do it best…they know how to get down low and penetrate hard.”

“Excuses are like assholes, everyone has one.”

• all from Coach Wally

To live above comparison is to be beyond comparison. - J. Krishnamurti

Also by him:

‘WHEN you call yourself an Indian or a Muslim or a Christian or a European, or anything else, you are being violent. Do you see why it is violent? Because you are separating yourself from the rest of mankind. When you separate yourself by belief, by nationality, by tradition, it breeds violence. So a man who is seeking to understand violence does not belong to any country, to any religion, to any political party or partial system; he is concerned with the total understanding of mankind.’

‘Every thought and feeling must flower for them to live and die. Flowering of everything in you, the ambition, the greed, the hate, the joy, the passion - there is their death and freedom. It is only in freedom that anything can flourish, not in suppression, in control and discipline, these only pervert, corrupt. Flowering and freedom is goodness and all virtue’.

‘Truth is a pathless land’.

“A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.”

Make of it what you will

“The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer”

A simple perusal of these forums will confirm this one.

“You never know what is enough, until you know what is more than enough.”

Hmhmhm

Alice came to a fork in the road. “Which road do I take?” she asked.
“Where do you want to go?” responded the Cheshire cat.
“I don’t know,” Alice answered.
“Then,” said the cat, “it doesn’t matter.”
~Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

One my of sisters favorite quotes !

The observer, when he seems to himself to be observing a stone, is really, if physics is to be believed, observing the effects of the stone upon himself.

HHhhmmmmm

“You can’t reason someone out of a position they didn’t reason themselves into.”

Perhaps the Politics and World Issue’s people should take note.

Last one:

“Man is the only animal who enjoys the consolation of believing in a next life; all other animals enjoy the consolation of not worrying about it”

“Keep Calm and Carry on!”

Not so much a quote as a slogan.

In 1939 at the beginning of WW2 The Ministry of Information (branch of the British Govt responsible for publicity and propaganda) created a series of posters to elevate the British morale, going under the assumption that the British populace would generally be demoralised during the first few weeks of war.

Apparently the posters, of which 2,500,000 were printed, saw very little light of day for some reason. But I’ve always found it both humorous and typical of the government to design slogans such as this to encourage civilians to keep their noses up and the tea flowing while bombs descended on the country.

Every country has their propaganda campaigns, obviously, but I’ve found this particular slogan to have both a particular effect on me and it’s a mantra I’ve tried to incorporate into my life for when the shit hits the fan. During those moments I think of this slogan, what is was intended for…

and realise that no matter how bad things might seem- they could quite possibly be far, far worse.

[quote]postholedigger wrote:
I go past the possible (the impossible?) Beyond that, to where the possible and impossible meet to become…the possimpible.[/quote]

I’m stealing this for my next wacky facebook status update!

[quote]Voluminous wrote:
“A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure.”

Make of it what you will

Hmhmhm

The observer, when he seems to himself to be observing a stone, is really, if physics is to be believed, observing the effects of the stone upon himself.

HHhhmmmmm

“You can’t reason someone out of a position they didn’t reason themselves into.”

Last one:

“Man is the only animal who enjoys the consolation of believing in a next life; all other animals enjoy the consolation of not worrying about it”[/quote]

I very much like all of these

When you look at yourself from a universal standpoint, something inside always reminds or informs you that there are bigger and better things to worry about.â??Albert Einstein

“whenever I hear people talking about culture, I unsnap my revolver” Some German WW I general (I paraphrased the quote)

[quote]trav123456 wrote:

[quote]Voluminous wrote:

Make of it what you will

Hmhmhm

HHhhmmmmm

Last one:

“Man is the only animal who enjoys the consolation of believing in a next life; all other animals enjoy the consolation of not worrying about it”[/quote]

I very much like all of these[/quote]

x2 Especially about the last quote.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Deorum wrote:
[/quote]

[/quote]

Would love to hear about what’s going on in the study of gravity. Start a thread![/quote]

hmmm…not sure that would get much of a following.