T Nation

Objectivity on My Current Bulk

I tend to mentally fuck myself on bulks…and cuts respectively, for differing reasons. I’ve been on a relatively slow bulk since around Feb 20th…I started at around 155lbs and I’m up to about 164lbs today. I starting to notice a decent amount of fat being gained (at least I think I am). I need some serious objectivity as to whether or not I should do a small mini-cut or just keep going. I don’t really have a set end goal to the bulk either…because well I don’t know how fat I’d be at a given weight…I try to go by the mirror but, that can play tricks with my head.

Current training is 3 day on 1 day off split

Macros on training days - 3400kcal 550g carbs, 185g protein, 50g fat
Macros on rest - 2350kcal 200g carbs, 185g protein 90g fat

Pics below…Be objective and let me know if I should continue. Also …note the ridiculous tan lines and moon face that I’ve developed lolol.

hmmm 10lbs on a bulk in almost three months? ur not doing it right.

You haven’t posted pics yet and its been a few hours, but…

If you’ve gained 9 pounds in 3 months and can notice a ‘decent amount of fat’ being gained, something is definitely wrong. Without seeing the pics, a couple things:

1. 185g protein/day is quite low. Maybe get rid of some carbs and up that to 250-300.

2. Re-evaluate your intensity in the gym. How hard are you really working? Can you be objective on that?

[quote]Gmoore17 wrote:

If you’ve gained 9 pounds in 3 months and can notice a ‘decent amount of fat’ being gained, something is definitely wrong. Without seeing the pics, a couple things:

1. 185g protein/day is quite low. Maybe get rid of some carbs and up that to 250-300.

2. Re-evaluate your intensity in the gym. How hard are you really working? Can you be objective on that?[/quote]

I can absolutely assure you of my training intensity as I’ve put on approx. 100lbs to my 3 rep max on squats. In fact…I was squatting four days a week at varying intensities of course. I have a diet/training coach who sets macros.

According to most competent nutritional minds in the industry…1g/lb of BW is fairly standard and this is actually over that. Anything more and you tend to be oxidizing…when you could just be using carbs for that instead of just making expensive carbs by converting aminos into blood glucose. Unless you are geared of course…then you can make use of a much increased protein intake.

I didn’t post pics because this took forever to show up on the forums and I left my house. Also…155lbs was a typo…145lbs was my starting weight in Feb after a long extreme cut…

…crappy but best I can do

If you think you are gaining too much fat, decrease your carbs and increase your protein.

19 lbs in 3 months is a a pretty good amount, over a pound a week. I would definitely not call that slow. You still look fairly lean in the pictures (no love handles, appear close to having abs still), I would keep trying to gain weight.

If you feel you are gaining too much fat just cut down the calories a little bit, maybe like 300 calories or something, or up the cardio some (i don’t know what your cardio currently is, if your not doing any add some light cardio in). Just because you lost a full 6 pack does not mean its time for a cut.

You are lean enough that adding 10-20 lbs even with some lbs being fat will make you look much better then dropping 5-8 lbs of fat to get a six pack. If you had love handles it might be a different story.

[quote]
I can absolutely assure you of my training intensity as I’ve put on approx. 100lbs to my 3 rep max on squats. In fact…I was squatting four days a week at varying intensities of course. I have a diet/training coach who sets macros. [/quote]

Very impressive increase on the squat. How impressive depends on where it started, but either way, excellent work. How are your upper body lifts doing?

[quote]
According to most competent nutritional minds in the industry…1g/lb of BW is fairly standard and this is actually over that. Anything more and you tend to be oxidizing…when you could just be using carbs for that instead of just making expensive carbs by converting aminos into blood glucose. Unless you are geared of course…then you can make use of a much increased protein intake. [/quote]

I am just going to have to disagree with you there. MOST people I’ve seen looking to put on mass are eating more protein than that. And “most competent nutritional minds in the industry” is very hard to define, as in Exercise Nutrition courses in University, many people with PhD’s are still teaching that the body can’t process more than 20 grams of protein in one sitting.

Basically I’m saying, you could try upping the protein, see if it helps. It’s helped a lot of other people in similar situations. [quote]

I didn’t post pics because this took forever to show up on the forums and I left my house. Also…155lbs was a typo…145lbs was my starting weight in Feb after a long extreme cut…[/quote]

Well then, 19 pounds instead of 9 pounds changes things quite a bit. And you do seem still quite lean, although it’s hard to compare without before pics.

I know you are against “bro science” facko but I would suggest carb cycling for a bulk. I know you’re all IF this and IF that, but just throwing in a suggestion man.

You should do a “small mini-cut” if you want to lose you recent gains. I know I keep bringing up holding that new weight for a while for a reason.

[quote]Gmoore17 wrote:

[quote]facko wrote:

[quote]Gmoore17 wrote:

2. Re-evaluate your intensity in the gym. How hard are you really working? Can you be objective on that?[/quote]

[quote]
I can absolutely assure you of my training intensity as I’ve put on approx. 100lbs to my 3 rep max on squats. In fact…I was squatting four days a week at varying intensities of course. I have a diet/training coach who sets macros. [/quote]

Very impressive increase on the squat. How impressive depends on where it started, but either way, excellent work. How are your upper body lifts doing?

Here is a before…I can see that I was certainly leaner here…

[quote]Gmoore17 wrote:

[quote]

Also…I appreciate the input in terms of protein. I was discussing increasing protein with my coach…more so for the fact that I actually enjoy eating protein quite a bit. When you track macros and include all the incidentals…especially the incidental protein you get from consuming around 550g of carbs…it doesn’t leave with much meat so to speak…

I’d be willing to drop the carbs down 100gs or so and up the protein respectively…See what he has to say about that.

I was referring to guys like Lyle etc…1g/lb BW seems to be pretty safe when carbs are very high…going into high protein ranges tends to be really beneficial when on a deep deficit or when carbs/energy macros are reduced quite a bit. Some guys talk about around 1.5g/lb and I’m sure that’s very safe in terms of supplying proper aminos for growth…

X^2 you should keep bulking if your eventual goal is to look like a bodybuilder.

Also what happened to instagramming your pics? gosh

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
X^2 you should keep bulking if your eventual goal is to look like a bodybuilder.

Also what happened to instagramming your pics? gosh[/quote]

hurts mayne…it hurts haha

[quote]Mike T. wrote:
I know you are against “bro science” facko but I would suggest carb cycling for a bulk. I know you’re all IF this and IF that, but just throwing in a suggestion man.[/quote]

Hey man…I actually just tend to IF naturally some days…but, plenty of days I eat breakfast my friend. I think I came off as so adamant before because I felt a lot of the dogmatic ideas have to be fought kind of hard for anyone to open their minds so to speak. I see absolutely no wrong in 6 meals a day nor 3 nor even 1 assuming someone can and does eat the same amount of food in each giving scenario. That is my true opinion and I believe scientific research supports this…

Also…in regards to carb cycling…I’ve always cycled carbs and calories between training and rest days…this is whether I have IF’d or not. My carb allotment on training days is 350g higher on days I lift. However, now I’m lifting 3 days on 1 day off split and focusing mainly on upper rep range/hypertophy work…where as before I was training 4 days a week. So I had 3 lower days before. Now with only 1 lower day…I think it’s creating more weight gain even with the increase in training volume by 2 more days a week…

Perhaps I’ll incooperate medium days on some of my training days…keep the squat days and back days higher. I appreciate your input. Thank you.

Eh look at the two front pics, you’ve clearly added size, little bit of fat but definitely looks like mostly good weight. Nothing to be worried about, keep killing it in the gym, maybe up the protein as was mentioned. Just the fact that your lifts are moving up like that says something’s going right.