Obesity a Disease

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]Christine wrote:
I think labeling it a disease is a cop out as well. Some people may be more predisposed to adipose tissue than others though.

Anyway, an article on food addiction here.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-02/fatty-foods-addictive-as-cocaine-in-growing-body-of-science.html

Cupcakes may be addictive, just like cocaine.

A growing body of medical research at leading universities and government laboratories suggests that processed foods and sugary drinks made by the likes of PepsiCo Inc. and Kraft Foods Inc. (KFT) aren’t simply unhealthy. They can hijack the brain in ways that resemble addictions to cocaine, nicotine and other drugs.
[/quote]
Shit.[/quote]
In a word, poetic.

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:
Ever the source of knowledge. I am still thinking about what you said about soy in baby formula months ago.[/quote]

Just a theory, but it could explain the preponderance of estrogenic young adult men and is a good argument in favor of breast feeding.

Have they located a laziness gene also? If so this gene must be closely related to the obesity gene.

We all know what it is, who cares what we label it as? There could be “a gene” for liking fast food or not wanting to change your eating habits for all we know.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
[i]"Alcoholism is a disease, but it’s the only one you can get yelled at for having.

‘Goddamn it Otto, you are an alcoholic. Goddamn it Otto, you have Lupus.’
One of those two doesn’t sound right."[/i]

~ Mitch Hedberg[/quote]

Lol this is great.

What about sex addiction cant you get yelled at for that? Or fecalphilia? Necrophilia?

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:
Ever the source of knowledge. I am still thinking about what you said about soy in baby formula months ago.[/quote]

Just a theory, but it could explain the preponderance of estrogenic young adult men and is a good argument in favor of breast feeding. [/quote]

Did someone say breast feeding?

Generally when something is described as a “obesity gene” a “psychopathy gene” or a “gay gene” it generally means scientists have taken some samples, and people with the gene are more likely to exhibit the characteristic than the normal population.

The key thing is that if 1% of people without the gene exhibit a characteristic and 2% with the gene also exhibit the characteristic, and the sample is big enough for that to be statistically significant, the gene can get labeled as a cause just the same as if 100% of the people with it had that characteristic.

Some people have pre dispositions, but those pre dispositions are generally much more complicated than one gene, and not all predispositions come from genes

[quote]orion wrote:
Meaning, it is not just genes, but genes, environment and the inheritance of “learned” traits i.e. epigenetics and never shall those be untangled.
[/quote]

To illustrate this, i could take samples from european monarchs, and people in general. Because of the history of inbreeding we would expect that certain genes were much likely to occur in monarchs, and at highly statistically significant levels. As a result I could take the best one and label it a “monarch gene” and start saying that it causes people that have it to rule european countries.

Correlation doesn’t imply causation.

Lots of fat people being more likely to have certain genes than healthy people doesn’t necessitate that those genes made them fat.

I like how because somebody is fat means there a lazy fuck. T-Nation stay classy.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
[i]"Alcoholism is a disease, but it’s the only one you can get yelled at for having.

~ Mitch Hedberg[/quote]

Man, I wish he was still around.

I think Pringles original intention was to make tennis balls… but on the day the rubber was supposed to show up a truckload of potatoes came. Pringles is a laid-back company, so they just said, “Fuck it, cut em up!”

I’m against picketing, but I don’t know how to show it.

[quote]biglifter wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

~ Mitch Hedberg[/quote]

Man, I wish he was still around.

I think Pringles original intention was to make tennis balls… but on the day the rubber was supposed to show up a truckload of potatoes came. Pringles is a laid-back company, so they just said, “Fuck it, cut em up!”

I’m against picketing, but I don’t know how to show it. [/quote]

LOL

Amen, BL.

While I am not in any sort of medical profession, I deal alot with contracts for child healthcare.

Currently, I have an $800,000 dollar contract to provide nurses for children with diabetes. The ages range from 5-18, and costs are expected to increase further. Think about that, starting at age 5… thats alot of money over a kids lifetime. I would say there are genetic factors at play with a portion of the population, but the larger issue is socio-economic.

You have inner city areas with a lack of resources in terms of healthy food options from both a cost and availability perspective. A working mother of four with zero nutritional knowledge can go to the dollar menu at wendy’s or go to whole foods. Whole foods is most likely further away and this lady uses public transportation. What will she choose? Then you go to the schools themselves, where kids spend a majority of their day, and the schools serve government bulk food and receive funds from Pepsi and the like for vending machines.

The government subsidies to the agricultural industry, predominatley corn, makes a ton of the food in society rich in high fructose corn syrup and other heavily processed foods. Then you can imagine what goes into the educational bulk purchased food items, a majority of which provide 2 meals a day to students.

I didnt want to make it political, but i believe the aforementioned factors and facts are a large contributor to the nations obesity epidemic, and correlating healthcare costs.

google ob/ob and db/db parabiotic mice

definition of Disease: anything that causes pus, swelling of the rectum, anal bleeding/leakage and fever inducing rash as a direct result of nailing random fat chicks.

[quote]666Rich wrote:
While I am not in any sort of medical profession, I deal alot with contracts for child healthcare.

Currently, I have an $800,000 dollar contract to provide nurses for children with diabetes. The ages range from 5-18, and costs are expected to increase further. Think about that, starting at age 5… thats alot of money over a kids lifetime. I would say there are genetic factors at play with a portion of the population, but the larger issue is socio-economic.

You have inner city areas with a lack of resources in terms of healthy food options from both a cost and availability perspective. A working mother of four with zero nutritional knowledge can go to the dollar menu at wendy’s or go to whole foods. Whole foods is most likely further away and this lady uses public transportation. What will she choose? Then you go to the schools themselves, where kids spend a majority of their day, and the schools serve government bulk food and receive funds from Pepsi and the like for vending machines.

The government subsidies to the agricultural industry, predominatley corn, makes a ton of the food in society rich in high fructose corn syrup and other heavily processed foods. Then you can imagine what goes into the educational bulk purchased food items, a majority of which provide 2 meals a day to students.

I didnt want to make it political, but i believe the aforementioned factors and facts are a large contributor to the nations obesity epidemic, and correlating healthcare costs.[/quote]

You’re not the only one. A growing number of the public is getting it. Thanks to those like Michael Pollan for getting the word out.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]666Rich wrote:

I didnt want to make it political, but i believe the aforementioned factors and facts are a large contributor to the nations obesity epidemic, and correlating healthcare costs.[/quote]

You’re not the only one. A growing number of the public is getting it. Thanks to those like Michael Pollan for getting the word out.
[/quote]
Racists. the both of you. all I read was just a thinly veiled disguise to get the blacks back in the fields picking our food.

actually, on second thought, I fully support and will back this decision.

LOL!

It is a total copout.

Look, no one questions whether there has been an incredible explosion in obesity rates over the past 25 years, right? So, if it’s genetic, where is the evidence of the mutation that took place to change the rate of the gene from about 10% of the population to almost 40% and rising in the span of just a single generation? That kind of thing doesn’t happen for no reason!

A wholesale genetic change like that would require some kind of major dosing of gamma rays or something, wouldn’t it? Sure, that’s what happened… Stop blaming fries and frosted mini wheats and video games and school recess dropping down to 10 minutes a day. It was really Chernobyl that made everyone fat!

Except, wait a minute… how then do you explain that obesity rates in India, for example, are rising too, but they are a good 15-20 years behind the U.S.? If some worldwide event like Chernobyl or a solar flare changed everyone’s DNA, then India would be on the same timetable as the west.

It’s political correctness supplanting science, just like in the days of Galileo!

No wonder they say your real education begins after you finish school. You have to unlearn all the drivel you were taught.

[quote]BobParr wrote:
It is a total copout.

It was really Chernobyl that made everyone fat!

[/quote]
What the fuck, do you guys hate russians too? at least theyre not black.