Obese Workout Program Needed

[quote]ashos wrote:
I like coffee in the morning usually I drink about 2 16 oz cups a day with sugar and creamer, are splenda and fat free creamers good substitutes?[/quote]

try diet mountain dew.

[quote]ashos wrote:
I like coffee in the morning usually I drink about 2 16 oz cups a day with sugar and creamer, are splenda and fat free creamers good substitutes?[/quote]

The coffee is fine. You should probably replace the sugar with Stevia (a substitute) you can find Stevia where they sell the sugar substitutes. Switch from the fake creamers to actual Half&Half. Fewer carbs, more taste, you will use less. Just count the calories for the Half&Half in your daily calories.

remember, carbs and sugar are the devil for you right now

yeah im 6,8 360 pounds but i want to build muscle two i got a alright work out going i just need a good trainer help and diet

Yeah I bagged the fake creamer a year ago, it messed with my stomach, I’ve been using regular half and half.

[quote]GunShowMuscle wrote:
yeah im 6,8 360 pounds but i want to build muscle two i got a alright work out going i just need a good trainer help and diet[/quote]

Well you’ve come to the right place here on T-Nation, great articles, diets, programs and wonder full people to help you along the way.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
ashos wrote:
I like coffee in the morning usually I drink about 2 16 oz cups a day with sugar and creamer, are splenda and fat free creamers good substitutes?

try diet mountain dew.[/quote]

Be careful of diet sodas, as artificial sweeteners cause sugar-like insulin reactions even though they are very low calorie. I’d much rather drink coffee with a small amount of sugar and milk than diet sodas or artificial sweeteners and cream substitutes, esp. if you use organic coffee (non-organic is one of the more pesticide/herbicide tainted foods) and milk products.

Plus if you love coffee like I do, diet soda just isn’t a substitute for the real thing. Try to slowly cut back on the sugar, and move from half & half to whole milk, then lower fat milk. If you are cutting sweets out of the rest of your diet, you’ll find that slowly you can reduce the amount of sugar coffee needs to still taste sweet.

Eating clean is potentially helpful in losing fat, as one of your body’s natural responses to toxins and perceived toxins is to isolate them in fat tissue.

I’d not worry too much about a couple teaspoons of sugar with coffee if it was consumed at the same time you had a meal that was fairly high fiber, as the insulin impact is markedly reduced by the fiber & the protein & fat content of the meal’s slowing absorbtion. Where you really get into trouble are the hidden highly processed carbs and sugars in foods, esp. if you eat them thinking they are helping your diet (e.g., a lot of processed foods marketed as supposed “diet” foods or “low-fat”). If you are taking your coffee away from meals, get some fiber supplements and take some before you enjoy your coffee.

And, remember coffee is a mild diuretic, and you want to keep yourself well hydrated as thirst can sometimes fool people into thinking they are hungry & fat loss dumps stored toxins into your system, so drink an extra glass of water for every 8-oz. cup of coffee.

ok I made my meals for tomorrow and checked the nutrition, I believe it may be lacking some.

I don’t have any Surge or protein powder yet so there are some extra cals/proteins that I am missing.

My meal times are about the same daily and meals would run the same for a lot of the meals. Example day tomorrows meals.

Workout 5 am - 5:45am (no Surge for PWD yet)
6:30 am meal 1
1/2 cup oatmeal with dried cranberries (missing protein shake Here) 2 fish oils

9:30 am Meal 2
1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese and banana
2 fiber tabs

12:00 pm third meal
chicken breast, 1 cup broccoli, 2 fiber tabs, 2 fish oils

3:30 pm 4th meal
1/2 cup cottage cheese, 6 apricots dried (my favorite)

6:30 pm 5th meal and last
chicken breast, mixed green salad 2 fish oils.

the totals for nutrients are roughly 1000 cal, 14g fat, 110 g protein, 100 carbs, 22g of fiber.

The cals, fats and protein all seem low, even with surge and 2 protein shakes I am still low on all of those.

tell me what you think, I’m a bit lost on what I should add.
thanks

Measurements as of 9/9/07
306 lbs
waist 45"
chest 50 1/2"
belly button 53"
neck 17"
thigh 31" at widest part
calves 19.5
bicep 16.5
forearm 14"

[quote]ashos wrote:
ok I made my meals for tomorrow and checked the nutrition, I believe it may be lacking some.

I don’t have any Surge or protein powder yet so there are some extra cals/proteins that I am missing.

My meal times are about the same daily and meals would run the same for a lot of the meals. Example day tomorrows meals.

Workout 5 am - 5:45am (no Surge for PWD yet)
6:30 am meal 1
1/2 cup oatmeal with dried cranberries (missing protein shake Here) 2 fish oils

9:30 am Meal 2
1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese and banana
2 fiber tabs

12:00 pm third meal
chicken breast, 1 cup broccoli, 2 fiber tabs, 2 fish oils

3:30 pm 4th meal
1/2 cup cottage cheese, 6 apricots dried (my favorite)

6:30 pm 5th meal and last
chicken breast, mixed green salad 2 fish oils.

the totals for nutrients are roughly 1000 cal, 14g fat, 110 g protein, 100 carbs, 22g of fiber.

The cals, fats and protein all seem low, even with surge and 2 protein shakes I am still low on all of those.

tell me what you think, I’m a bit lost on what I should add.
thanks

[/quote]

I think you need more than 1000 cals.

Why not hardboil some eggs or make some eggs to have when you are just eating cottage cheese and fruitl

Also get some tuna or chicken in there and more broccoli or spinach.

You should also be shooting for a minimum of 30gs of fiber a day.

Don’t worry about the Surge. Not having it isn’t going to stall your progress.

Get in more good clean food.

alright adding 6 HB eggs will add 420 cal 24g fat and 36g of protein.
1 can of tuna 125 cal, 2.5 g, of fat and 28g of protein.
Then if I double my broccoli it will add 60 more cal, 10 carbs, 4 g of fiber, and 4g of protein.

All these added up equal too 1600 cal, 40g fat, 174g protein, 110g carbs, 30g of fiber.
Still seems a bit low, but I will be full all day.

What time are you going to bed 6:30 to 6;30 is way too long imo when eating small meals on a hypocaloric diet to be in a fast get a 6th meal in just before crashing of a complete slow digested protein, fiber and fats

Phill

I agree with OctoberGirl, don’t worry too much about the Surge. I’ve tried several flavors and find it very unpalitable (I’ll still have to give the Chocolate a try, but I don’t think I can get past the smell), so you may or may not find it useful anyway. When you get some whey protein, you can have that mixed with some sugar &/or maltodextrin and skim milk (all of which have a high insulin index) to make a post-workout recovery shake that will do much of what Surge can do. I just sip some during my workout to get it into my system early enough.

Until you get some protein powder or Surge, you can still mix up a do-it-yourself recovery drink. Skim milk, OJ, yogurt, a banana, frozen berries, and sugar will be a stop gap. Or, make some chocolate milk to get rid of any chocolate syrup still lying around tempting you to buy some ice cream. Experiment, you just want to get some simple sugars and fairly easily digestible protein (i.e., not steak or something w/ lots of fat) in you as soon as possible.

I still think you are a bit light on calories at 1600 if you are working out regularly. Besides the post-workout drink, have a protein shake and some low-glycemic fruit before bed to give you aminos and a small amount of carbs to help with muscle repair. A fiber capsule will further help limit any insulin impact. A fish oil cap will further slow digestion to help spread the amino availability out. If after you calculate your calories burnt & you are about on with 1600 + a post-workout snack, you’d benefit from the pre-bed snack. Just take a couple short walks to offset the additional calories.

[quote]Phill wrote:
What time are you going to bed 6:30 to 6;30 is way too long imo when eating small meals on a hypocaloric diet to be in a fast get a 6th meal in just before crashing of a complete slow digested protein, fiber and fats

Phill[/quote]

I get to bed around 10 - 11 pm, so when should I get in a 6th meal? 9 - 9:30pm?

monday sept. 10th work out
wide leg squats - 95lbs (with bar) 5 x 5, these felt better on my back vs. the 3x10 with the same weight, ill keep this weight for now.

bench press I had to switch the weight around a bit trying to get used to the 5 x 5.
set 1 95lbs, set two 105lbs, set 3 - 5 115lbs

Lat pull downs (cable)
#9 (maybe 90lbs) 5x5

In between all sets I rested 30 - 45 sec.

After the weights was cardio on the elliptical machine
Interval training, resistance lvl 1, for 20 min, 2449 strides, 241 cal.

meals for today
6:30 am
3 HB eggs, 1/2 cup oat meal, 2 oil caps,
380 cal, 17g fat, 27 carbs, 4 fiber, 23g protein

9:30 am
2 HB eggs, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, banana, 2 fish caps, 2 fiber tabs
346 cal, 11g fat, 36 carbs, 7 fiber, 27 protein

12pm
6oz chicken, 2 cups broccoli, 2 fish caps, 2 fiber tabs, vinaigrette ( balsamic and red vinegar, canola oil, olive oil)
366 cals, 15g fat, 20 carb. 8 fiber, 39 protein

3:30 pm
6 apricots, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 2 oil caps, 2 fiber tabs
236 cal, 3 fat, 34 carb, 8 fiber, 15 protein

6:30 pm
6oz chicken breast, 2 cup broccoli, 2 oil, 2 fiber
246 cal, 3 fat, 14 carbs, 8 fiber, 39 protein
I had 2 16oz coffees with cream and sugar, 2 g fat, 120 cals 10 carbs

total with out 6th meal
1694 calories, 51g fat, 141 carbs, 35g fiber, 143 g protein.
for 6th meal how does 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 cup strawberries, 1 fiber tab and 2 fish oils sound?

I wasn’t really sure which fruits were low in GI, so I did a search and found this great website
http://www.glycemicindex.com/

ashos,

Keep at it man. In mid-June I was 310 and was tired of it. My best friend owns a gym and he said so many times to get the CARDIO in hard until I got to a certain weight and he gave me a set number of calories. I stuck to it and now I’m a little below 280.

I’m going to keep at the cardio until I get to 250 but have been slowly adding in weights, working on form.

If you ever want to chat or need support, I’m in the same boat just 3 months a head of ya. I have AIM feel free to PM me.

I’ve found that my eating was the hardest thing, I actually love putting the time in at the gym. Also Im alergic to eggs so I had to find a meal replacement there and I’ve been turned on to Muscle Mlik shakes and I drink a ton of those.

For those in the know, when trying to dump weight what is a good calories intake for a 280 lb’r. I was told an absurd low number but it has yielded good loss of weight and I know some of that was lean muscle mass.

Ok 1st post, I’m done. Sorry for the somewhat hijack

Short post, most the same as yesterday as meals go. No resistance training today, but I walked 20 min with my 30 lb son on my back, then 20 min with out

nutrition for today
1841 calories
59g fat
161 carbs
44g fiber
143 g protein

Energy has been great, no extreme highs or lows just constant. Cravings have not been too bad, I usually get some around 11:30 am and 2:30 pm and at those times I chew some fiber tabs (2) and have some water.

adios till tomorrow

Hey Ashos!

Good job with following a meal plan.

I like the high fiber numbers.

How are you feeling?

Remember they say it takes 28 days to cement a good habit.

keep going!

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
Hey Ashos!

Good job with following a meal plan.

I like the high fiber numbers.

How are you feeling?

Remember they say it takes 28 days to cement a good habit.

keep going![/quote]

Feeling pretty good last few days, lots of energy, just a bit bloated, otherwise great.