T Nation

Obama's Three Million Dollar Overhead Projector

Ok, I will come clean. McCain was right. Obama did back the funding of a three million dollar overhead projector:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_pl78

Mmmm. That’s some expensive pork.

Planetariums rule.

http://realitycheck08.org/2007/06/14/does-mccain-criticize-pork-and-bring-home-the-bacon/

"The first proposal, though, does make sense. Republican McCain and a few bipartisan co-sponsors unveiled it recently, weeks after Congress passed a $453 billion defense bill that included money for the Iraq and Afghanistan wars as well as hurricane relief.

The fine print included $1 million for a Civil War Center in Richmond, Va., $500,000 for the Arctic Winter Games in Alaska, $2 million for a park in San Francisco and $2.85 million for aviation museums in Seattle and Hawaii. That�??s just a sampling."

This “Overhead-Projector” (which needs to quit being called such because it isn’t just a overhead-projector) had bi-partisan support. We can bring up things on McCain, Biden, Palin… but you choose Obama. I officially make this thread the… “Obama and McCain support pork spending” thread.

It actually looks looks like it could bring about the end of the world rather than a great DLP version of a top gun laser show.

LOL. That could be the saying nowadays… kabillions for war, not a cent for science…

Another ridiculous McCain accusation.

the problem with defining everything a Senator earmarks as pork, is that there are some worthwhile things that get thrown into the mix.

That and cutting out 3% of the budget is REALLY gonna bring that deficit down.

And yes, that overhead projector is actually pretty cool.

Lol, hay guise, guess wat? A large museum piece that educates children about the solar system isn’t an overhead projector… Unless you’re an idiot of course. Oh and it costs 10 million total, the other 7 million the museum has to fund raise for.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
LOL. That could be the saying nowadays… kabillions for war, not a cent for science…

Another ridiculous McCain accusation.[/quote]

At this point all McCain can do is make accusations and lie and stretch the truth. He has given up discussing the issues. He flip-flops constantly trying to figure out which sentance will sound better. In the last three days, he has discussed freezing the budget, paying off banks at the taxpayers expense and balancing the budget. All in a quick succession. His sheepish supporters get angry at him being called erratic, but this is hardly stable.

War is science, BTW. The only two things we ever did with government money that made our lives through inovation and invention better was defense spending and NASA.

We spent a bazillion trillion fucktons on cash and there are still lazy asses on welfare.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

War is science, BTW. The only two things we ever did with government money that made our lives through inovation and invention better was defense spending and NASA.

We spent a bazillion trillion fucktons on cash and there are still lazy asses on welfare.

[/quote]

The only thing we are constitutionally allowed to spend kabillions on is Defense.

Science isn’t on the list.

Neither is welfare.

Some more details about it:

http://www.gearlog.com/2008/10/the_case_of_the_3_million_over.php

And the specs of said “overhead projector”.

http://www.smt.zeiss.com/C12567B00038CD75/Contents-Frame/92CA596E4816D07041256A68004FE376

[quote]rainjack wrote:
tom63 wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

The only thing we are constitutionally allowed to spend kabillions on is Defense.

Science isn’t on the list.

Neither is welfare. [/quote]

Yep. Just because some of you might like planetariums, doesn’t make this any less pork.

You care to explain why my tax dollars should fund a projector in ill? Why is this an appropriate use of federal tax dollars? Let the state deciced what they want to spend on it. If that’s not enough hand out fucking flyers and ask for money, don’t take it by force.

Another brilliant post. Congrats.

[quote]RoadWarrior wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

At this point all McCain can do is make accusations and lie and stretch the truth. He has given up discussing the issues. He flip-flops constantly trying to figure out which sentance will sound better. In the last three days, he has discussed freezing the budget, paying off banks at the taxpayers expense and balancing the budget. All in a quick succession. His sheepish supporters get angry at him being called erratic, but this is hardly stable.

[/quote]

Why don’t you go educate the voting public and insure they understand and give two shits about the issues. Instead of bitching about tactics that actually get votes, why don’t you complain about the idiots that actually cast their votes based on campaign commercials and platitudes. Don’t hate the player, hate the game.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
Lol, hay guise, guess wat? A large museum piece that educates children about the solar system isn’t an overhead projector… Unless you’re an idiot of course. Oh and it costs 10 million total, the other 7 million the museum has to fund raise for.[/quote]

completly irrelavent. let them fund the whole thing. There are plenty of things that would great to have. Doesn’t mean they need to be funded by forcing people that will never see them to pay up. If you think it’s a great idea send them a fucking check. I can think of 100 diffent charities that would be better served with my money.

[quote]dhickey wrote:
beebuddy wrote:
Lol, hay guise, guess wat? A large museum piece that educates children about the solar system isn’t an overhead projector… Unless you’re an idiot of course. Oh and it costs 10 million total, the other 7 million the museum has to fund raise for.

completly irrelavent. let them fund the whole thing. There are plenty of things that would great to have. Doesn’t mean they need to be funded by forcing people that will never see them to pay up. If you think it’s a great idea send them a fucking check. I can think of 100 diffent charities that would be better served with my money.[/quote]

My only point is that McCain is a fool for calling the thing an overhead projector, and that the device cost much more than 3 mil.

There are all kinds of arguments that can be made about how tax money is spent, and there really isn’t any interest in that debate here.

Pic related. It’s an overhead projector. :slight_smile:

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
dhickey wrote:
beebuddy wrote:

completly irrelavent. let them fund the whole thing. There are plenty of things that would great to have. Doesn’t mean they need to be funded by forcing people that will never see them to pay up. If you think it’s a great idea send them a fucking check. I can think of 100 diffent charities that would be better served with my money.

My only point is that McCain is a fool for calling the thing an overhead projector, and that the device cost much more than 3 mil.

There are all kinds of arguments that can be made about how tax money is spent, and there really isn’t any interest in that debate here.

Pic related. It’s an overhead projector. :)[/quote]

So you’re not critcal of him calling Obama a pork-pushing tax and spend liberal, you are just criticizing the example he picked. go it.

[quote]dhickey wrote:
beebuddy wrote:
dhickey wrote:
beebuddy wrote:

Pic related. It’s an overhead projector. :slight_smile:

So you’re not critcal of him calling Obama a pork-pushing tax and spend liberal, you are just criticizing the example he picked. go it.[/quote]

Nah, Obama probably is a bigger spender than McCain. They all spend though, and they all lie constantly.

[quote]dhickey wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

You care to explain why my tax dollars should fund a projector in ill? Why is this an appropriate use of federal tax dollars? Let the state deciced what they want to spend on it. If that’s not enough hand out fucking flyers and ask for money, don’t take it by force.

Another brilliant post. Congrats.[/quote]

You still here dickbag?