Obamacare Aftermath

The nation’s largest health insurer, UnitedHealth Group Inc., is leaving California’s individual health insurance market, the second major company to exit in advance of major changes under the Affordable Care Act.

UnitedHealth said it had notified state regulators that it would leave the state’s individual market at year-end and force about 8,000 customers to find new coverage. Last month, Aetna Inc., the nation’s third-largest health insurer, made a similar move affecting about 50,000 existing policyholders.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-unitedhealth-insure-calif-20130702,0,4370321.story

Lies. Obama said you could keep your coverage.

I just heard they are pushing back a key part of the bill that would basically from my understanding cause more situations like this, until 2015.

Nothing like making it completely obvious that everything you do is political. push for 2014

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:
I just heard they are pushing back a key part of the bill that would basically from my understanding cause more situations like this, until 2015.

Nothing like making it completely obvious that everything you do is political. push for 2014[/quote]

Notice how Dems aren’t running on it for 2014 ? If Urkelcare were allowed to take hold, more truth would come out, which would undoubtedly harm Democrats.

I’m surprised that this hasn’t had more talk on this forum. Where is everyone?

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Lies. Obama said you could keep your coverage.[/quote]

Unless your coverage jumps ship. Doctors I’ve talked with aren’t crazy for Obamacare, some will really talk about it, some won’t. Have you noticed that anytime you go for a doctor appointment (even the dentist) they shove a questionaire at you? They do your BP and record it, some have you stand on the scale. Then you list all of your medications, or you’re supposed to. The routine has some regular sort of schedule to it.

Rob

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:
I’m surprised that this hasn’t had more talk on this forum. Where is everyone?[/quote]

We all knew this was coming down the pipe and we all knew we were screwed. The Tea Party did the right thing, and they were vilified by the people who passed the bill. Now those people who passed the bill are running from it, and trying to delay till after midterms. Why? because they know their assess will be handed to them. So what is there to discuss?

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:
I’m surprised that this hasn’t had more talk on this forum. Where is everyone?[/quote]

We all knew this was coming down the pipe and we all knew we were screwed. The Tea Party did the right thing, and they were vilified by the people who passed the bill. Now those people who passed the bill are running from it, and trying to delay till after midterms. Why? because they know their assess will be handed to them. So what is there to discuss?[/quote]

I guess I was just looking for those same people who defended it before to defend it again. Not like they aren’t here posting…

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:

We all knew this was coming down the pipe and we all knew we were screwed. The Tea Party did the right thing, and they were vilified by the people who passed the bill. Now those people who passed the bill are running from it, and trying to delay till after midterms. Why? because they know their assess will be handed to them. So what is there to discuss?[/quote]

I guess I was just looking for those same people who defended it before to defend it again. Not like they aren’t here posting…[/quote]

I know who you are talking about. lol. I guess darealnewz.omg has not put out an article to defend it so Zep can not post the link.

That actually works out really, really well for me. Of course it creates a bit of a monopoly in the marketplace.

james

I heard today that the house vetoed it. So does that mean that it has to go into affect?

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:
I heard today that the house vetoed it. So does that mean that it has to go into affect?[/quote]

They did not veto it, Veto power is left to the President. They had two votes to give President Obama the power to delay the Employer Mandate and the Individual Mandate.

Personally I do not know why they are doing this. The President has basically Line Item Vetoed the Obamacare bill by only delaying a part of the bill. He does not have that power. You either follow the bill all the way or your don’t enact it. I wish the Republicans would start playing in the same ballpark, but they are too scared so they keep screaming from the parking lot, and no one really cares.

Just heard UPS is going to cut 15K jobs due to obamacare

Edit: Correction they are cutting benefits to 15k spouses. Interesting I’ve never even heard of this being done before

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:

Edit: Correction they are cutting benefits to 15k spouses. Interesting I’ve never even heard of this being done before[/quote]

I have some friends who are college professors, whose classes are being cut due to Obamacare.

Half their income lost overnight.

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:

Edit: Correction they are cutting benefits to 15k spouses. Interesting I’ve never even heard of this being done before[/quote]

Several Universities are about to cut the spousal benefit also. Becoming cheaper to put them on the exchanges and keep the premium the same for only 1 beneficiary.

This Law is a “train wreck” but now one will try and stop it even though we see the light down the track.

–On the difference between a nebulous"health care system" and something called medical insurance, and why the costs of the two should be separate
–On the inflated and unreal nominal costs of medical care
–On the virtues of catastrophic insurance.
–On why a bad “system” is to be made worse by entrenching the current medical insurance power structure

The comments, as usual, are interesting.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

This Law is a “train wreck” but now one will try and stop it even though we see the light down the track.[/quote]

Unfortunately that light is another train.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

This Law is a “train wreck” but no one will try and stop it even though we see the light down the track.[/quote]

Unfortunately that light is another train.[/quote]

yes, and I agree. Like this…

[quote]DrSkeptix wrote:

The comments, as usual, are interesting.[/quote]

If by interesting you mean, “holy shit, I live in a monkey cage and shit is flying all around me…” ???

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]DrSkeptix wrote:

The comments, as usual, are interesting.[/quote]

If by interesting you mean, “holy shit, I live in a monkey cage and shit is flying all around me…” ???[/quote]

You really have no clue; but don’t be offended, none of us do either.

From this morning, a story.

A man gets into a minor car accident, is taken to the ER with a “popped disk” in his neck.
The neurosurgeon is contracted exclusively to provide emergency services for this sort of thing. He operates, fixes the disk uneventfully, and presents the man with a bill for $125,000.

Yes, $125,000.

The hospital abets this by tacking on its own bill for $32,000 for the operation and a 2-day stay. (Anesthesia and rugs not included.)

It is not important whether or not the man had medical insurance and here is why.

The neurosurgeon knows this will come to court or to adjudication and the deep pocket here is the car insurance company. The car insurance company settles for about $30,000, and the hospital puts in its charges as well as $25,000 in consulting fees.

None of this, of course, is addressed by medical insurance regulation, Obamacare, or hospital ethics committees (remember, the hospital is in on this on both ends.) Common human decency? Is there a CPT code for that?

Whistleblowing? Remember, too, that I am called “overdramatic” and “inappropriate” by paid hospital lackeys.

So, then, now do you have an inkling? Anyone else care to tell me about their expertise in medical economics?