Obama Voters: Buyer's Remorse?

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
G87 wrote:
I’m not an American and so I couldn’t vote for Obama, but I would have and I would have no regrets today.

Shouldn’t have let that stop you. I imagine lots of people who aren’t Americans voted for him.[/quote]

HA! That’s perfect.

I was at the “Get Motivated” seminar in Sacramento yesterday. Colin Powell was one of the speakers.

He went into telling everyone how he was good friends with McCain…congratulated Obama. He said “I told Obama that he’s not Superman…He does not have a “Free Pass” and we should criticize him when he makes mistakes”

He also said:

“For the first time in America we elected a black man…but we did not elect him because he is black, we elected him based on qualifications and character first.”

There were a few hisses and boos when he first metioned Obama, and the crowd was subdued then picked up when others saw there was support during the cheering when Colin first congratulated Obama in fron of the crowd.

[quote]Otep wrote:
You believe McCain would have been an outstanding star of conservative values?[/quote]

I guess you’re assuming that I didn’t write in Mickey Mouse. Jumping to conclusions is always fun. While I believe McCain would be just more of Bush I’d rather have that than Obama but I couldn’t bring myself to vote for either of them.

[quote]GhorigTheBeefy wrote:
Otep wrote:
You believe McCain would have been an outstanding star of conservative values?

I guess you’re assuming that I didn’t write in Mickey Mouse. Jumping to conclusions is always fun. While I believe McCain would be just more of Bush I’d rather have that than Obama but I couldn’t bring myself to vote for either of them.[/quote]

I think McCain would have been better than both Bush and Obama. Would he have been perfect? Not likely, but the man seems genuine. But who knows really.

[quote]100meters wrote:
ProwlCat wrote:
100meters wrote:
ProwlCat wrote:
Anyone Obama voters out there who are ready to give voice to that gnawing little feeling that we know is starting to take root? The feeling that you may have made a big, big, BIG mistake? Anyone?

So far this morning I’ve had two folks who actually campaigned for “Old Smokey” that have completely jumped off the bandwagon. One told me she’s out becuase he’s gone from peddling ‘hope’ to predicting ‘doom’ at a time the nation needs a leader who inspires confidence.

The second told me that he’s never seen (in his 34 years in D.C.) an administration so lost when it comes to the day-to-day details of governing, yet so convinced of their own righteousness. In his words:

“They’ve not gotten anything right the first time, have gotten most of it wrong the second time, and tell the American people that THEY’VE got it wrong if they don’t think that every move this team makes is the right one!”

What’s kind of upsetting on a personal level about the latter example is that this is a black man I’ve known for many years. He’s been a dedicated public servant for most of his life. And no matter how much I opposed Obama, I was still happy for this guy and all that his election meant to him.

Quick aside: I work in government and many of us know people inside the administration and the word is that he’s still smoking, a lot, never quit, never really tried - hence the nickname “Old Smokey”. Friend of mine heard he’s around 2 packs a day now.

So! Who now realizes they were caught up in the cocktail party and wishes they’d sobered up before they cast their ballot?
This post seems a bit tone deaf, given Obama’s widespread approval and preference, as compared to say…that other party.

Tone deaf. Yeah…Yeah. Brilliant take. See, what you miss is that there are many out there - opinion polls not withstanding - who have expressed their disappointment with the president. I gave two examples of people who fall into that category. And these are real people. Not internet people like you. The intention of the post was poll the people on this site. But, I know…that’s tone deaf.

We should just figure he’s at 68% approval and not question his popularity. I think some may think that he’s made some mistakes…like…say…raising the cap-gains tax, even though he admits it will bring in less money and retard investment.

But, dems and independents are liking him more, his popularity seems to be growing—like the opposite of what you said, hence tone deaf.

The people who like him less, are not surprisingly easily misled wingnutters, the kind of folks who think the stimulus is giving billions to a mouse or acorn or other fabrications.[/quote]

For crying out loud, he’s been office a month. It is to early to tell. There was a time when Bush’s approval rating was nearly 70%…Let give it some time before we pass judgment. We got a long way to go yet.

Anyone who thinks that they can “create” jobs by pouring tax money into a struggling economy would have failed their first semester at any business school.

The U.S. has a limited population. Of that population, some are too young, too old, too sick or otherwise unable to work. Of those that are able to work, some are uneducated and can’t read, some are highly intelligent and educated but are physically unable to perform heavy labor.

You can not, ever, create a job without taking a job away from another sector or industry. You also can not feed an economic recession more and more money and expect a positive outcome.

A little history…
In the 1920’s there was a significant recession following the slowdown of wartime production. The governments response then was to do as little as possible. They changed interest rates and restricted credit, but beyond that they relied on the public sector to revive itself. The outcome…the “Roaring Twenties!”

The Depression, arguably the most desperate time in U.S. history…what was the plan to get us out of the depression? Huge public works. Dams, bridges, tunnels, blowing up mountains. Whatever could be done to spend government money. The outcome? A decade of economic disaster.

And now here we are again…a slight recession exacerbated by runaway government spending, absurd “Bail-Outs” and a total disregard for the lessons of our past.

A degree in Business and History should be a requirement for ANYONE running for a Federal Public Office. It would certainly help weed out all the assholes who fancy themselves “Visionary” who think they can turn a nation around with some nice speeches.

Hitler and Stalin ran their countries beautifully (at least in their design) by virtue of speeches and military force. That does not work in capitalist democracy where low taxes, sensible government spending, corvettes and SUV’s rule.

[quote]Jeffe wrote:
Anyone who thinks that they can “create” jobs by pouring tax money into a struggling economy would have failed their first semester at any business school.

The U.S. has a limited population. Of that population, some are too young, too old, too sick or otherwise unable to work. Of those that are able to work, some are uneducated and can’t read, some are highly intelligent and educated but are physically unable to perform heavy labor.

You can not, ever, create a job without taking a job away from another sector or industry. [/quote]

You were saying something about failing their first semester at business school?

No unemployment, huh?

[quote]A little history…
In the 1920’s there was a significant recession following the slowdown of wartime production. The governments response then was to do as little as possible. They changed interest rates and restricted credit, but beyond that they relied on the public sector to revive itself. The outcome…the “Roaring Twenties!”

The Depression, arguably the most desperate time in U.S. history…what was the plan to get us out of the depression? Huge public works. Dams, bridges, tunnels, blowing up mountains. Whatever could be done to spend government money. The outcome? A decade of economic disaster. [/quote]

But didn’t we need these public works projects? For example the Hoover Dam controls the water supply which helps farmers out west, and the Golden Gate bridge made commuting easier for people in the bay area.

I’m not for this ridiculously high spending spree, but the government has to at least do something in order facilitate improvement in infrastructure.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
A little history…

The Depression, arguably the most desperate time in U.S. history…what was the plan to get us out of the depression? Huge public works. Dams, bridges, tunnels, blowing up mountains. Whatever could be done to spend government money. The outcome? A decade of economic disaster.

But didn’t we need these public works projects? For example the Hoover Dam controls the water supply which helps farmers out west, and the Golden Gate bridge made commuting easier for people in the bay area.

I’m not for this ridiculously high spending spree, but the government has to at least do something in order facilitate improvement in infrastructure.
[/quote]

The Hoover Dam was built to hide Megatron and The Cube! Everyone knows that! So, yeah. We needed that.

[quote]milod wrote:
Voted for him, no remorse. It’s a bit too early to say much else. So far, his administration has been going about like I expected it to. I haven’t been at all shocked by his liberal policies, nor by his more moderate ones.[/quote]

Yup. I’m getting exactly what I expected. No problems here, and I’m good with most of the things he’s done.

And I know that there’s not too many people that voted for Obama here in the GOP Blowjob Barn, so don’t expect a lot of posts for this one.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
milod wrote:
Voted for him, no remorse. It’s a bit too early to say much else. So far, his administration has been going about like I expected it to. I haven’t been at all shocked by his liberal policies, nor by his more moderate ones.

Yup. I’m getting exactly what I expected. No problems here, and I’m good with most of the things he’s done.

And I know that there’s not too many people that voted for Obama here in the GOP Blowjob Barn, so don’t expect a lot of posts for this one. [/quote]

lol. PWI = GOP Blowjob Barn

milod wrote:
Voted for him, no remorse. It’s a bit too early to say much else. So far, his administration has been going about like I expected it to. I haven’t been at all shocked by his liberal policies, nor by his more moderate ones.

And I know that there’s not too many people that voted for Obama here in the GOP Blowjob Barn, so don’t expect a lot of posts for this one. [/quote]

Yeah, he’s doing about what I expected him to do. I’m good with those things and him.

[quote]Gambit_Lost wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
milod wrote:

And I know that there’s not too many people that voted for Obama here in the GOP Blowjob Barn, so don’t expect a lot of posts for this one.

Yeah, he’s doing about what I expected him to do. I’m good with those things and him.

[/quote]

This says a lot about both of you. economics isn’t even a mild interest?

[quote]dhickey wrote:
Gambit_Lost wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
milod wrote:

[/quote]

I have told you that I think that the stimulus package is needed.

It is a “mild” interest, but I didn’t expect him to fix this in three weeks, so I am not rushing to judgment.

dhickey wrote:
Gambit_Lost wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
milod wrote:

It is a “mild” interest, but I didn’t expect him to fix this in three weeks, so I am not rushing to judgment.[/quote]

The bailout was a disaster. the stimulous is a disaster. increasing spending and raising taxes is a disaster. the housing recovery bill will be a disaster. “health reform” for another trillion will be disasster.

he honestly could not do any worse for the economy than what he has done and is planning on doing. he is picking up where GWB left off and then some.

All you need is a basic understanding of economics and history to see exactly where this is going. No need to wait and see. Just start making the appropriate preperations.

[quote]pat wrote:
GhorigTheBeefy wrote:
Otep wrote:
You believe McCain would have been an outstanding star of conservative values?

I guess you’re assuming that I didn’t write in Mickey Mouse. Jumping to conclusions is always fun. While I believe McCain would be just more of Bush I’d rather have that than Obama but I couldn’t bring myself to vote for either of them.

I think McCain would have been better than both Bush and Obama. Would he have been perfect? Not likely, but the man seems genuine. But who knows really.[/quote]

A politician seemed genuine?

[quote]dhickey wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
dhickey wrote:
Gambit_Lost wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
milod wrote:

It is a “mild” interest, but I didn’t expect him to fix this in three weeks, so I am not rushing to judgment.

The bailout was a disaster. the stimulous is a disaster. increasing spending and raising taxes is a disaster. the housing recovery bill will be a disaster. “health reform” for another trillion will be disasster.

he honestly could not do any worse for the economy than what he has done and is planning on doing. he is picking up where GWB left off and then some.

All you need is a basic understanding of economics and history to see exactly where this is going. No need to wait and see. Just start making the appropriate preperations.

[/quote]
An understanding of economics and history is obviously the EXACT reason we’ve done what we’ve done.

Silly neo-hooverists. Now go on about the 30 million dollar marsh mouse, or some other made up thing.

[quote]Jeffe wrote:

[/quote]

Idiot.
increase employment
increased productivity
increased GDP.

The only catch was trying to spend less in '37? bowing to pressure to balance the budget. Then we slipped back down.

So, textbook response to the current situation is to spend, hence the stimulus.

[quote]100meters wrote:
Jeffe wrote:

Idiot.
increase employment
increased productivity
increased GDP.

The only catch was trying to spend less in '37? bowing to pressure to balance the budget. Then we slipped back down.

So, textbook response to the current situation is to spend, hence the stimulus. [/quote]

Last I checked, the depression continued for 7-8 years following FDR’s time in power. You can’t seriously suggested he was successful?

[quote]dhickey wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
dhickey wrote:
Gambit_Lost wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
milod wrote:

[/quote]

You do realize there is a helluva a lot of economic support for the idea of a stimulus right?

You saying it makes ZERO economic sense is a gross hyperbole, ignoring the voices of many renowned economists.