Obama to Extend Patriot Act

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
Oh, boy…

And if Obama would have let the Patriot Act expire, he would have been coddling to the Muslim Extremist…(since, after all, he is one)…and shown how weak he really is.

(I seriously doubt that many of you would have been saying “The President was just upholding the Constitution and supporting individual Liberty”).

Is that about right?

Mufasa[/quote]

Mufasa:

I can’t speak for the rest of the Good Guys, but, I think obama did the right thing by extending the Patriot Act.

However, we are pointing out the simple fact that many of your fellow obama slurpers don’t really have core principles beyond the acquisition of power.

I wanted to give credit to lefties on this thread who do, in fact, seem to have principles.

JeffR

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
When will people ever learn that campaigns are completely meaningless. The only way to predict what somebody will be like in office is to objectively examine their history.

[/quote]

So… Ron Paul?

Also don’t give me the no third party BS, he ran in the republican primary. It’s not like republicans would have stayed home or voted for hopey instead of ron paul, ESPECIALLY if fox news actually treated him with dignity. Hell if they supported him I bet there would have been a landslide victory against president Hope and Change. My milk is spilled and yes i’m crying over it.

V

[quote]Beowolf wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
When will people ever learn that campaigns are completely meaningless. The only way to predict what somebody will be like in office is to objectively examine their history.

It is truly humorous that anybody actually believed this administration, if it became one, would do ANYTHING to relinquish power in the name of constitutional civil rights. What anybody thinks of the patriot act is irrelevant to this point. The fact that anybody thought Obama cared anything at all for the constitution or individual liberty is.[/quote]

You seem to think liberal voters give a shit about the constitution. This is merely an extension of the ideas that progressives hold dear, a hatred for the idea that government is in some way limited in its function.[/quote]

You know what’s sad, I think you’re right … and it’s not just liberal voters … it’s mostly uneducated voters who don’t UNDERSTAND what the Constitution actually is and does. Ignorance is bliss but, more importantly, dangerous

[quote]Petedacook wrote:
I am on the extreme left. I voted for Obama and I may have even persuaded a few other peopkle to vote for him.

I would like to throw my 2 cents in and say Obama has been a giant hulking piece of monkey shit. This guy seems to say one thing and do another. While it is true he is still new, and deserves a fair chance…it is becoming very clear the new boss is looking more and more like the old boss, except well spoken with grandiose promises.

The democrats have no excuse now. They have the house, senate, and admin. office. I want to hear what excuses they have now, “Oh Bush will appeal it…republican majority in senate…Republican’s will filibuster…we want to help and be good, but the republicans will not let us!!!”

I think it is a bunch of shit.

[/quote]

You have my respect as you and I have gone back and forth over the years and I am well aware of your liberal bent.

I was against the Patriot Act (and took flak from fellow conservatives when I voiced my opposition) as I believe it to be overly intrusive and the one and only thing that I looked for Obama to do which I would have actually agreed with him on was to lift the Patriot Act, and he didn’t.

Obama is a resounding failure and I think there are many honest democrats like yourself who are now having “voters remorse”.

There is going to be an historical backlash this November, especially if they push a health care bill through with zero republican support and about 70% of the country against it.

Anyway, good for you for your honesty, it’s rare around here.

Change that from is extending to has extended.

[quote]Vegita wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[/quote]

So… Ron Paul?

Also don’t give me the no third party BS, he ran in the republican primary. It’s not like republicans would have stayed home or voted for hopey instead of ron paul, ESPECIALLY if fox news actually treated him with dignity. Hell if they supported him I bet there would have been a landslide victory against president Hope and Change. My milk is spilled and yes i’m crying over it.

V[/quote]

Ron Paul is the one guy we know who will do what he says.

Now, Push…

You KNOW I love 'ya…

But you calling someone else “sanctimonious”?

C-mon, now!

JeffR…I’m neither an “Obama Slurper” or a Leftie; just someone fed-up with the whole system, regardless as to party affiliation.

Mufasa

[quote]pushharder wrote:
If you’re “fed up with the whole system” then get off the fence. Fence riders perpetuate “the whole system.”
[/quote]

The absolute best line for me during the last presidential election was something along the lines of (paraphrasing) “… at this point there is absolutely no one more retarded in these United States than the ‘undecided voter’.”

Cool.

While making sweeping judgments about a person from post they make (or [i]don’t[/i] make) on a Forum seems a bit pious and sanctimonious…it’s all you’ve got to go by, I guess.

So I’ll accept the criticism.

Two things I don’t accept:

1. Being “fed up” with the system does not mean lack of involvement in attempting to change what I can or in remaining politically active. I do both.

It just means I don’t know how long I’ll keep beating my head against the wall.

1. I have NEVER believed that how fervently one holds to a belief is independent of what that belief is.

I can’t remember the author, but paraphrasing:

…A destructive belief held to fervently is simply more destructive…

Mufasa

IMO the most retarded in the United States is the uneducated Voter. People will blindly vote for someone because they are the best at pulling the wool over your eyes. We could not look at Obama’s past because he has sealed it shut, and he missed a bunch of votes. I might be wrong, but didn’t he not vote 50% of the time?

It is really hard for me to watch him speak, because I know he is giving us lip service and will never do what he says. Last weeks Health Care Summit was a joke. He is grand standing trying to get public opinion. Public opinion is going against what He wants to do. Most people want baby steps, not a fix everything at once.

I did not vote for him, but this country needed him to succeed. He needs to start leading the people instead of telling them what to do. Listen to the other side dont just tell them, “I am the President” do what I want or else.

He’s going after teacher unions (one of his biggest supporters – LOL!) and now extending this.

Let’s start a chant at the obama rallies in 2012 – ‘One Term, Thank God!’
‘One Term, Thank God!’

This man is truly Satan.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:
If you’re “fed up with the whole system” then get off the fence. Fence riders perpetuate “the whole system.”
[/quote]

The absolute best line for me during the last presidential election was something along the lines of (paraphrasing) “… at this point there is absolutely no one more retarded in these United States than the ‘undecided voter’.”[/quote]

That might be true SD, but would you also concede that “Disgusted by their choices voter” is not the same thing as 'undecided voter"?

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

JeffR…I’m neither an “Obama Slurper” or a Leftie; just someone fed-up with the whole system, regardless as to party affiliation.

Mufasa[/quote]

Mufasa, with respect, I don’t believe you. Let’s break it down: You are a pretty intelligent guy. You frequent a message board that has quite a few Good Guys as regulars. Even if you slurped down the liberal tag-line from the press, this board had people sounding MONSTER ALARM BELLS about obama before the election. You knew, for instance, of his being the second most liberal Senator. Additionally, you knew he had no record of opposition against the far left wing of his party.

I know you read those opinions. I know you must have thought about the warning signs.

If you were fed up with the whole system, there is no WAY you would have voted for a community organizer with 1 year (the rest was campaign mode) in the Senate for POTUS. If you wanted to reform the system, you would have voted for someone who had been “PRESENT” long enough to understand how it works.

Yet, after all this, you wandered in and pulled the lever for barack obama.

That, my friend, is a dedicated leftist.

JeffR

[quote]JoeGood wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:
[/quote]

The absolute best line for me during the last presidential election was something along the lines of (paraphrasing) “… at this point there is absolutely no one more retarded in these United States than the ‘undecided voter’.”[/quote]

That might be true SD, but would you also concede that “Disgusted by their choices voter” is not the same thing as 'undecided voter"?[/quote]

I would agree with that statement 100%. In its original context that quote was meant for those who couldn’t decide between “Milquetoast McCain” or “Teh One”.

It was clear to me from the earliest indications of who would be running that I would vote for neither and vote for a third-party or independent who best represented me.

I guess the leftradicals who voted for the democrats now understand that they are a rightwing party. In my country the liberal party is a rightwing party, liberalisme is a rightwing ideology. Maybe its time for a leftist alternative, maybe the time where you can only vote for two rightwing partys are over. Maybe Ralph Nader should be the next president.

I know this is a europeen perspective on american politics, so I guess i will get flamed to hell LOL.

[quote]Jeff R wrote:

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

Mufasa[/quote]

Mufasa, with respect, I don’t believe you. Let’s break it down: You are a pretty intelligent guy. You frequent a message board that has quite a few Good Guys as regulars. Even if you slurped down the liberal tag-line from the press, this board had people sounding MONSTER ALARM BELLS about obama before the election. You knew, for instance, of his being the second most liberal Senator. Additionally, you knew he had no record of opposition against the far left wing of his party.

I know you read those opinions. I know you must have thought about the warning signs.

If you were fed up with the whole system, there is no WAY you would have voted for a community organizer with 1 year (the rest was campaign mode) in the Senate for POTUS. If you wanted to reform the system, you would have voted for someone who had been “PRESENT” long enough to understand how it works.

JeffR
[/quote]

BIG assumption.

I’ve never told anyone who I voted for President/Vice President…and certainly haven’t said so on this board.

Mufasa

[quote]florelius wrote:
I guess the leftradicals who voted for the democrats now understand that they are a rightwing party. In my country the liberal party is a rightwing party, liberalisme is a rightwing ideology. Maybe its time for a leftist alternative, maybe the time where you can only vote for to rightwing partys are over.

I know this is a europeen perspective on american politics, so I guess i will get flamed to hell LOL.[/quote]

Your 50K cross country skier is a real closer.

JeffR

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

[quote]Jeff R wrote:

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

Mufasa[/quote]

JeffR
[/quote]

BIG assumption.

I’ve never told anyone who I voted for President/Vice President…and certainly haven’t said so on this board.

Mufasa[/quote]

Maybe I gave you too much credit. The Mufasa I knew wouldn’t waste our time.

You walked in and voted for bho.

There really is no quesion in anyone’s mind.

JeffR

[quote]Jeff R wrote:

[quote]florelius wrote:
I guess the leftradicals who voted for the democrats now understand that they are a rightwing party. In my country the liberal party is a rightwing party, liberalisme is a rightwing ideology. Maybe its time for a leftist alternative, maybe the time where you can only vote for to rightwing partys are over.

I know this is a europeen perspective on american politics, so I guess i will get flamed to hell LOL.[/quote]

Your 50K cross country skier is a real closer.

JeffR
[/quote]

what do you meen with “a real closer” ?