T Nation

Obama Supporters Sexists?

Man I love this primary - pure schadenfraude from having the stock-and-trade accusations of racism and sexism hurled back and forth from the different sides, with nary a white male in sight (Bill doesn’t count). Even the polite crowds are still engaging in the comparative victimology analysis. Maybe at the end of the road, people will actually question having the “ism” of choice be a default accusation that needs to be disproved…

Here’s Salon on how Hillary’s young female supporters are finding sexism abounding:

http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2008/04/14/obama_supporters/

Excerpt:

[i]I am a loud feminist and a longtime Clinton skeptic who was suddenly feeling that I needed to rationalize, apologize for, or even just stay quiet about my increasing unease with the way Clinton was being discussed. Meanwhile, I was getting e-mails from men I didn’t know well who approached me as a go-to feminist to whom they could express their hatred of Hillary and their anger at her staying in the race – an anger that seemed to build with every one of her victories. One of my closest girlfriends, an Obama voter, told me of a drink she’d had with a politically progressive man who made a series of legitimate complaints about Clinton’s policies before adding that when he hears the senator’s voice, he’s overcome by an urge to punch her in the face.

A few weeks ago, my friend Becca O’Brien, a lawyer and policy advisor in New Orleans, visited me. She told me about her experience on the morning of the Louisiana primary. O’Brien had been openly torn between Obama and Clinton, and perhaps as a result, she received five phone calls from male friends around the country, urging her to vote for Obama. They were, she understood, just campaigning for their candidate; they didn’t realize how many calls she was receiving, or that taken together, they were making her furious. As O’Brien saw it, “The presumption was that I was undecided because I was a young woman, and they could talk some sense into me if they were the last ones I spoke to before I went into the voting booth.”

O’Brien told me she’d heard similar reports of irritation from female friends around the country. I asked her to send them my way, and I put out feelers on my own. Not since I wrote a story about the book “He’s Just Not That Into You” have I received such a tremendous response.

The women who contacted me were almost exclusively well-educated and professional, a culturally and politically elite demographic, to be sure. But they all echoed each other in their complaints, complaints that complicate the dominant narrative about how young female voters are experiencing this presidential election.

I received e-mails and phone calls from women voicing various strains of frustration: They told me about the sexism they felt coming from their brothers and husbands and friends and boyfriends; some described the suspicion that their politically progressive partners were actually uncomfortable with powerful women. Others had to find ways to call me out of earshot of their Obama-loving boyfriends. Some women apologized for “sounding so feminist.” Interviewees expressed vexation at not being able to put their finger on what it was about Obama-mania that creeped them out so badly, while maintaining a deep assuredness that something was not quite right. Perhaps most surprising was that the majority of the women I spoke to were not haters: They were Obama supporters, or at least Obama-appreciators. [/i]

You seem awfully disturbed by the prospect of an Obama presidency. I haven’t seen you spend so much time and effort on sabotaging his candidacy than any other topic. And top it all, your posts are all in some way connected to discrimination (racial, sexual, etc.)

What gives, BB? If you have something to say about Obama (not his tailor!), go ahead and spit it out. If you think anyone else is better suited to represent the best interests of the American people, then make your case. But for heaven’s sake, enough with your innuendo and half-assed threads.

Grow a sack already!

P.S: Personally, I think all his “hope” and “change” platform is pure BS and would hate to have him sit in the White House.

My question is if you want a leader who isn’t stupid enough to waste money on killing foreigners because of oil and if Clinton is shit and Obama is shit then who do you vote for?

[quote]Spry wrote:
My question is if you want a leader who isn’t stupid enough to waste money on killing foreigners because of oil and if Clinton is shit and Obama is shit then who do you vote for?[/quote]

lol…good question. Obama,Clinton,and McCain are not where they are now by hear say…people are voting for them. If there are better candidates,we wouldn’t even be talking about Obama,Clinton,or McCain…now would we??

Overall this group of potential candidates has made a big cluster fuck that we Americans must decipher and wade through to find within ourselves who we feel is the best suited.

With all the issues we are facing right now as a country…which are being overshadowed by “big issues” of possibly having first black or female president…this is the most “passionate” presidential election season I’ve seen in my life time. Which can greatly be attributed to the campaign in office now.

This is proving to show the true colors of Americans in regard to their ill-conceived views of race,political correctness,sexism,and of Muslims/Islam…and its not pretty…its sad.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
lol…good question. Obama,Clinton,and McCain are not where they are now by hear say…people are voting for them. If there are better candidates,we wouldn’t even be talking about Obama,Clinton,or McCain…now would we??

Overall this group of potential candidates has made a big cluster fuck that we Americans must decipher and wade through to find within ourselves who we feel is the best suited.

With all the issues we are facing right now as a country…which are being overshadowed by “big issues” of possibly having first black or female president…this is the most “passionate” presidential election season I’ve seen in my life time. Which can greatly be attributed to the campaign in office now.

This is proving to show the true colors of Americans in regard to their ill-conceived views of race,political correctness,sexism,and of Muslims/Islam…and its not pretty…its sad. [/quote]

I think I’m going to do what my new Prime Minister has done and learn Mandarin so I can talk to the new superpower in the near future!

[quote]lixy wrote:
You seem awfully disturbed by the prospect of an Obama presidency. I haven’t seen you spend so much time and effort on sabotaging his candidacy than any other topic. And top it all, your posts are all in some way connected to discrimination (racial, sexual, etc.)

What gives, BB? If you have something to say about Obama (not his tailor!), go ahead and spit it out. If you think anyone else is better suited to represent the best interests of the American people, then make your case. But for heaven’s sake, enough with your innuendo and half-assed threads.

Grow a sack already!

P.S: Personally, I think all his “hope” and “change” platform is pure BS and would hate to have him sit in the White House.[/quote]

You’d think this would be easy to figure out: I want the primary to go on as long as possible. With maximum in-fighting among the Democrats. Read a little on game theory… it’s why Zap voted for Hillary. It’s not that he actually wants Hillary - it’s that the fight makes it more likely McCain will win.

And I agree with your PS, though not the rest of the post.

[quote]Spry wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
lol…good question. Obama,Clinton,and McCain are not where they are now by hear say…people are voting for them. If there are better candidates,we wouldn’t even be talking about Obama,Clinton,or McCain…now would we??

Overall this group of potential candidates has made a big cluster fuck that we Americans must decipher and wade through to find within ourselves who we feel is the best suited.

With all the issues we are facing right now as a country…which are being overshadowed by “big issues” of possibly having first black or female president…this is the most “passionate” presidential election season I’ve seen in my life time. Which can greatly be attributed to the campaign in office now.

This is proving to show the true colors of Americans in regard to their ill-conceived views of race,political correctness,sexism,and of Muslims/Islam…and its not pretty…its sad.

I think I’m going to do what my new Prime Minister has done and learn Mandarin so I can talk to the new superpower in the near future!

[/quote]

Yall…might have to learn Korean to go along with that…we’ll stick to English :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

“Politics of Identity leave Liberals Conflicted”
Big surprise, the left can’t decide whether to vote for the Black Guy or the White Woman because they can’t figure out if they are more Racist or more Sexist. Idiots. Try voting for the one who will be the best President. It’s an opinion, not an emotion.

[quote]MrRezister wrote:
“Politics of Identity leave Liberals Conflicted”
Big surprise, the left can’t decide whether to vote for the Black Guy or the White Woman because they can’t figure out if they are more Racist or more Sexist. Idiots. Try voting for the one who will be the best President. It’s an opinion, not an emotion.[/quote]

You realize this race has only become about the black/female thing since the reverend debacle, yes?

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
MrRezister wrote:
“Politics of Identity leave Liberals Conflicted”
Big surprise, the left can’t decide whether to vote for the Black Guy or the White Woman because they can’t figure out if they are more Racist or more Sexist. Idiots. Try voting for the one who will be the best President. It’s an opinion, not an emotion.

You realize this race has only become about the black/female thing since the reverend debacle, yes?[/quote]

Not by a long shot. This has been about race and gender since day one.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Beowolf wrote:
MrRezister wrote:
“Politics of Identity leave Liberals Conflicted”
Big surprise, the left can’t decide whether to vote for the Black Guy or the White Woman because they can’t figure out if they are more Racist or more Sexist. Idiots. Try voting for the one who will be the best President. It’s an opinion, not an emotion.

You realize this race has only become about the black/female thing since the reverend debacle, yes?

Not by a long shot. This has been about race and gender since day one.[/quote]

Every supporter of Obama’s I’ve ever talked to just kinda ignored the race issue. They didn’t squeal about how they were electing the first black man or any such BS. Same with the Hilary fans. I have yet to meet someone who is into politics who is voting for a candidate based on the race/sex issue (except for the few jackasses who say they wouldn’t want a woman in the white house for lulz).

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Beowolf wrote:
MrRezister wrote:
“Politics of Identity leave Liberals Conflicted”
Big surprise, the left can’t decide whether to vote for the Black Guy or the White Woman because they can’t figure out if they are more Racist or more Sexist. Idiots. Try voting for the one who will be the best President. It’s an opinion, not an emotion.

You realize this race has only become about the black/female thing since the reverend debacle, yes?

Not by a long shot. This has been about race and gender since day one.

Every supporter of Obama’s I’ve ever talked to just kinda ignored the race issue. They didn’t squeal about how they were electing the first black man or any such BS. Same with the Hilary fans. I have yet to meet someone who is into politics who is voting for a candidate based on the race/sex issue (except for the few jackasses who say they wouldn’t want a woman in the white house for lulz).[/quote]

If we’re talking about media coverage, then you’re absolutely incorrect. This race has been nothing but a “A Black Man vs. a Woman!” since even before either candidate officially threw his or her hat in the ring.

If we’re talking about personal anecdotes, then everyone can answer however they please.

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:
Beowolf wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Beowolf wrote:
MrRezister wrote:
“Politics of Identity leave Liberals Conflicted”
Big surprise, the left can’t decide whether to vote for the Black Guy or the White Woman because they can’t figure out if they are more Racist or more Sexist. Idiots. Try voting for the one who will be the best President. It’s an opinion, not an emotion.

You realize this race has only become about the black/female thing since the reverend debacle, yes?

Not by a long shot. This has been about race and gender since day one.

Every supporter of Obama’s I’ve ever talked to just kinda ignored the race issue. They didn’t squeal about how they were electing the first black man or any such BS. Same with the Hilary fans. I have yet to meet someone who is into politics who is voting for a candidate based on the race/sex issue (except for the few jackasses who say they wouldn’t want a woman in the white house for lulz).

If we’re talking about media coverage, then you’re absolutely incorrect. This race has been nothing but a “A Black Man vs. a Woman!” since even before either candidate officially threw his or her hat in the ring.

If we’re talking about personal anecdotes, then everyone can answer however they please.[/quote]

Why do people only laugh at the media when it suits them?

This is the very reason I avoid watching much of the news programming lately. Most of it comes across as pure bullshit. I haven’t met one person yet who is voting based on the color or sex of the people running. While I am sure idiots like that exist, I seriously doubt it is as prevelant as the media makes it seem aside from those who may be blatantly racist or sexist and voting AGAINST someone based on their color or sex.

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:
lixy wrote:
You seem awfully disturbed by the prospect of an Obama presidency. I haven’t seen you spend so much time and effort on sabotaging his candidacy than any other topic. And top it all, your posts are all in some way connected to discrimination (racial, sexual, etc.)

What gives, BB? If you have something to say about Obama (not his tailor!), go ahead and spit it out. If you think anyone else is better suited to represent the best interests of the American people, then make your case. But for heaven’s sake, enough with your innuendo and half-assed threads.

Grow a sack already!

P.S: Personally, I think all his “hope” and “change” platform is pure BS and would hate to have him sit in the White House.

You’d think this would be easy to figure out: I want the primary to go on as long as possible. With maximum in-fighting among the Democrats. Read a little on game theory… it’s why Zap voted for Hillary. It’s not that he actually wants Hillary - it’s that the fight makes it more likely McCain will win.

And I agree with your PS, though not the rest of the post.[/quote]

Good luck with that!

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Beowolf wrote:
MrRezister wrote:
“Politics of Identity leave Liberals Conflicted”
Big surprise, the left can’t decide whether to vote for the Black Guy or the White Woman because they can’t figure out if they are more Racist or more Sexist. Idiots. Try voting for the one who will be the best President. It’s an opinion, not an emotion.

You realize this race has only become about the black/female thing since the reverend debacle, yes?

Not by a long shot. This has been about race and gender since day one.

Every supporter of Obama’s I’ve ever talked to just kinda ignored the race issue. They didn’t squeal about how they were electing the first black man or any such BS. Same with the Hilary fans. I have yet to meet someone who is into politics who is voting for a candidate based on the race/sex issue (except for the few jackasses who say they wouldn’t want a woman in the white house for lulz).[/quote]

Do you think Obama would have 90% of the black vote if he were white?

[quote]

lixy wrote:
You seem awfully disturbed by the prospect of an Obama presidency. I haven’t seen you spend so much time and effort on sabotaging his candidacy than any other topic. And top it all, your posts are all in some way connected to discrimination (racial, sexual, etc.)

What gives, BB? If you have something to say about Obama (not his tailor!), go ahead and spit it out. If you think anyone else is better suited to represent the best interests of the American people, then make your case. But for heaven’s sake, enough with your innuendo and half-assed threads.

Grow a sack already!

P.S: Personally, I think all his “hope” and “change” platform is pure BS and would hate to have him sit in the White House.

BostonBarrister wrote:
You’d think this would be easy to figure out: I want the primary to go on as long as possible. With maximum in-fighting among the Democrats. Read a little on game theory… it’s why Zap voted for Hillary. It’s not that he actually wants Hillary - it’s that the fight makes it more likely McCain will win.

And I agree with your PS, though not the rest of the post.

lixy wrote:
Good luck with that!

Yeah, it looks pretty good right now actually:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/pa/pennsylvania_democratic_primary-240.html

She wins PA she stays in until the finish.

And here’s the crux of her argument:

Follow this link http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/national.html , and look at the McCain v Hillary and McCain v Obama matchups in FL, OH, and PA - they don’t show MN and WI, but those are good too…

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Beowolf wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Beowolf wrote:
MrRezister wrote:
“Politics of Identity leave Liberals Conflicted”
Big surprise, the left can’t decide whether to vote for the Black Guy or the White Woman because they can’t figure out if they are more Racist or more Sexist. Idiots. Try voting for the one who will be the best President. It’s an opinion, not an emotion.

You realize this race has only become about the black/female thing since the reverend debacle, yes?

Not by a long shot. This has been about race and gender since day one.

Every supporter of Obama’s I’ve ever talked to just kinda ignored the race issue. They didn’t squeal about how they were electing the first black man or any such BS. Same with the Hilary fans. I have yet to meet someone who is into politics who is voting for a candidate based on the race/sex issue (except for the few jackasses who say they wouldn’t want a woman in the white house for lulz).

Do you think Obama would have 90% of the black vote if he were white?[/quote]

I think more people than EVER on every single level are paying more attention to this election because of what/who is involved. Blaming that percentage on his skin color alone while ignoring this would be one major overstep on your part. Didn’t Jesse Jackson run for the presidency? Do you think he would have a percentage that large?

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/behind-the-numbers/2008/01/obama_2008_vs_jackson_1988.html

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:

MrRezister wrote:
“Politics of Identity leave Liberals Conflicted”
Big surprise, the left can’t decide whether to vote for the Black Guy or the White Woman because they can’t figure out if they are more Racist or more Sexist. Idiots. Try voting for the one who will be the best President. It’s an opinion, not an emotion.

Beowolf wrote:
You realize this race has only become about the black/female thing since the reverend debacle, yes?

Zap Branigan wrote:
Not by a long shot. This has been about race and gender since day one.

Beowolf wrote:
Every supporter of Obama’s I’ve ever talked to just kinda ignored the race issue. They didn’t squeal about how they were electing the first black man or any such BS. Same with the Hilary fans. I have yet to meet someone who is into politics who is voting for a candidate based on the race/sex issue (except for the few jackasses who say they wouldn’t want a woman in the white house for lulz).

Zap Branigan wrote:
Do you think Obama would have 90% of the black vote if he were white?

Professor X wrote:
I think more people than EVER on every single level are paying more attention to this election because of what/who is involved. Blaming that percentage on his skin color alone while ignoring this would be one major overstep on your part. Didn’t Jesse Jackson run for the presidency? Do you think he would have a percentage that large?

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/behind-the-numbers/2008/01/obama_2008_vs_jackson_1988.html[/quote]

The comments after that article are even more interesting.

[quote]
BostonBarrister wrote:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/behind-the-numbers/2008/01/obama_2008_vs_jackson_1988.html

Professor X wrote:
The comments after that article are even more interesting.[/quote]

About half of those comments are part and parcel to what I was referencing in the original post:

“Racist!”

“Nuh uh - Sexist!”

If that continues, McCain is going to win.

http://www.volokh.com/archives/archive_2008_04_13-2008_04_19.shtml#1208408581