Obama Refers to Soccer as 'Football'

[quote]doc_man_101 wrote:
Cockney Blue wrote:
Brits who complain about sceptics referring to Football as Soccer are actually showing their ignorance. Complaining about Sceptics referring to American Football as just Football however is perfectly acceptable given that this is confusing for most of the world.

LOL. Not sceptics. Septics, as in septic tank. :-)[/quote]

LOL, typed that half asleep. Yeah I know it is Septic not Sceptic, I am from London.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Cockney Blue wrote:
The stupid thing is that Soccer is a british term, it comes from the fact that the full name is AsSOCiation Football. The term started up in British public schools so as to differentiate from Rugby Football.

Didn’t know that. That’s an interesting little tidbit there. So you’re saying it started out like slang for a person that belonged to AF? “That guy is a SOC’er?” And then got adapted to the sport itself?[/quote]

Yep, you would talk about Association Football or Rugby Football depending on what you were referring to.

Historically villages each had their own mob football game. Public schools adapted the rules of these and codified them. There was eventually a desire to play matches between schools so the rules became more standardised.

Eventually an assoiciation was formed which drafted one set of rules, this became football. The rules of the game played in the Rugby school became Rugby (which later split into Union and league and directly influenced the formation of American Football.)

Some of these mob football and public school football games are still played today.

Eton Wall Game Eton Wall Game (1921) | BFI National Archive - YouTube

Ashbourne Shrovetide Football - Shrovetide Football - YouTube

Sedgefield Shrovetide Football - Sedgefield Shrove Tuesday football match - YouTube

Alnwick Shrovetide Football - Alnwick Shrove Tuesday football match - YouTube

[quote]Cockney Blue wrote:
Aragorn wrote:
Cockney Blue wrote:
The stupid thing is that Soccer is a british term, it comes from the fact that the full name is AsSOCiation Football. The term started up in British public schools so as to differentiate from Rugby Football.

Didn’t know that. That’s an interesting little tidbit there. So you’re saying it started out like slang for a person that belonged to AF? “That guy is a SOC’er?” And then got adapted to the sport itself?

Yep, you would talk about Association Football or Rugby Football depending on what you were referring to.

Historically villages each had their own mob football game. Public schools adapted the rules of these and codified them. There was eventually a desire to play matches between schools so the rules became more standardised.

Eventually an assoiciation was formed which drafted one set of rules, this became football. The rules of the game played in the Rugby school became Rugby (which later split into Union and league and directly influenced the formation of American Football.)

Some of these mob football and public school football games are still played today.

Eton Wall Game Eton Wall Game (1921) | BFI National Archive - YouTube

Ashbourne Shrovetide Football - Shrovetide Football - YouTube

Sedgefield Shrovetide Football - Sedgefield Shrove Tuesday football match - YouTube

Alnwick Shrovetide Football - Alnwick Shrove Tuesday football match - YouTube

[/quote]

That’s very interesting!

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Keving14 wrote:
A form of policatal correctness? The rest of the world calls it one thing America calls it another…
Im surprised he didn’t apoligies to the world for American calling the sport soccer.

But he’s doing enough to betray America and doing it here at home.

He doesn’t think like an American. This is one reason I believe that not only should a POTUS of the USA be born here, they should have roots going back 2 generations at least.

Three of my ancestors fought in the Union Army, one a great-grandad. THAT’S the kind of commitment I look for in a presidential candidate…not some Kenyan criminal who’s daddy was a commie, that tried to turn Kenya communist.

Hmmm…Obama walks in his daddy’s shoes more than we thought.

[/quote]

For the 5,353,235 time- you truly are a fucking horses asses.

“That kind of commitment?” You’re unfuckingbelievable. You didn’t have shit to do with what your ancestors did, and no presidential candidate does either.

That’s the point of this country- you don’t get judged on what your father did, you get judged on what YOU do.

It’s nice that some piece of shit like yourself wants to punish people like me because my Italian side wasn’t here early enough for your liking.

This is news?

can’t believe i voted for someone who calls soccer ‘football’ what a fucking disgrace.

[quote]itsthenickman wrote:
This is news?[/quote]

No, it’s not. I sometimes say “football” instead of “soccer” as well when I’m around european fans. I must be an inglorious un-American bastard.