Obama on Race

What a speech. I thought what he said was particularly valid and very true.

Obama: ‘Our kids can’t all aspire to be the next LeBron or Lil Wayne’

In his young presidency, Obama has steered somewhat away from the subject of race. He has seemingly tried to be a “post-race” President. Last night at the NAACP’s 100th Anniversary dinner, the President tackled the subject head on. He spoke of the legacy of discrimination and of personal responsibility. Here are a few portions of his speech:

“Make no mistake: the pain of discrimination is still felt in America.”

“African-American students are lagging behind white classmates in reading and math â?? an achievement gap that is growing in states that once led the way on civil rights. Over half of all African-American students are dropping out of school in some places. There are overcrowded classrooms, crumbling schools, and corridors of shame in America filled with poor children – black, brown, and white alike.”

“Government programs alone won’t get our children to the promised land. We need a new mindset, a new set of attitudes â?? because one of the most durable and destructive legacies of discrimination is the way that we have internalized a sense of limitation; how so many in our community have come to expect so little of ourselves.”

Speaking of African American children he said this: “They might think they’ve got a pretty good jump shot or a pretty good flow, but our kids can’t all aspire to be the next LeBron or Lil Wayne. I want them aspiring to be scientists and engineers, doctors and teachers, not just ballers and rappers. I want them aspiring to be a Supreme Court justice. I want them aspiring to be president of the United States.”

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theworldnewser/2009/07/obama-our-kids-cant-all-aspire-to-be-the-next-lebron-or-lil-wayne.html

By the way, on a seperate note, having a young black president after years of old white guys is awesome.

“They might think they got a pretty good flow” - could never imagine George II saying that one.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Government programs alone won’t get our children to the promised land. We need a new mindset, a new set of attitudes â?? because one of the most durable and destructive legacies of discrimination is the way that we have internalized a sense of limitation; how so many in our community have come to expect so little of ourselves."

[/quote]

The first statement of President Obama I agree with. But talk is cheap.

No one wants to come out and play stick ball with us Irish.

So all that means is that equality will be reached by propping his race up and dumbing the dominant race now. That’s the way it’s been so far and continue to be so. I feel he told them what they wanted to hear like he does with all his speeches, no matter who he’s talking to.

[quote]Gregus wrote:
he told them what they wanted to hear like he does with all his speeches [/quote]

Gotta keep your constituency happy. He is a silver-tongued devil, aye that he is. Just like closing Gitmo, but they’re gonna build a new one? OMG! Out of site, out of mind-he’s a pro at politicking.

[quote]Gregus wrote:
So all that means is that equality will be reached by propping his race up and dumbing the dominant race now. That’s the way it’s been so far and continue to be so. I feel he told them what they wanted to hear like he does with all his speeches, no matter who he’s talking to. [/quote]

How is he propping “his race” up and dumbing down white people? What in the fuck are you talking about?

‘Their kids can’t all aspire to be the next LeBron or Lil Wayne’

"African-American students are lagging behind white classmates in reading and math �??�?�¢?? an achievement gap that is growing in states that once led the way on civil rights. Over half of all African-American students are dropping out of school in some places. "

“They need a new mindset, a new set of attitudes Ã???Ã??Ã?¢?? because one of the most durable and destructive legacies of discrimination is the way that they have internalized a sense of limitation; how so many in their community have come to expect so little of themselves.”

"They might think they’ve got a pretty good jump shot or a pretty good flow, but their kids can’t all aspire to be the next LeBron or Lil Wayne. I want them aspiring to be scientists and engineers, doctors and teachers, not just ballers and rappers."

[/quote]

I made some subtle changes, but anyone feel differently now?

It was a good speech.

I still hate everything else he stands for.

Gregus wrote:
So all that means is that equality will be reached by propping his race up and dumbing the dominant race now. That’s the way it’s been so far and continue to be so. I feel he told them what they wanted to hear like he does with all his speeches, no matter who he’s talking to.

How is he propping “his race” up and dumbing down white people? What in the fuck are you talking about?[/quote]

Social programs. I don;t feel like getting into the details of that. That’s a whole other thread.

[quote]doogie wrote:
It was a good speech.

I still hate everything else he stands for.[/quote]
All his speeches are good.

[quote]Gregus wrote:
So all that means is that equality will be reached by propping his race up and dumbing the dominant race now. That’s the way it’s been so far and continue to be so. I feel he told them what they wanted to hear like he does with all his speeches, no matter who he’s talking to. [/quote]

What race is he again?

Did he mention the part where his parties social programs were the predominant cause of the destruction of the black family to begin with? No? Didn’t think so.

[quote]denv23 wrote:
Did he mention the part where his parties social programs were the predominant cause of the destruction of the black family to begin with? No? Didn’t think so.[/quote]

Bullshit.

It’s not bullshit. Read Thomas Sowell’s The Vision of the Anointed:
Self-Congratulation as a Basis for Social Policy.

“They might think they got a pretty good flow” - could never imagine George II saying that one.[/quote]

“Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children flowing?”

What a speech. I thought what he said was particularly valid and very true.

Obama: ‘Our kids can’t all aspire to be the next LeBron or Lil Wayne’

In his young presidency, Obama has steered somewhat away from the subject of race. He has seemingly tried to be a “post-race” President. Last night at the NAACP’s 100th Anniversary dinner, the President tackled the subject head on. He spoke of the legacy of discrimination and of personal responsibility. Here are a few portions of his speech:

“Make no mistake: the pain of discrimination is still felt in America.”

“African-American students are lagging behind white classmates in reading and math â?? an achievement gap that is growing in states that once led the way on civil rights. Over half of all African-American students are dropping out of school in some places. There are overcrowded classrooms, crumbling schools, and corridors of shame in America filled with poor children – black, brown, and white alike.”

“Government programs alone won’t get our children to the promised land. We need a new mindset, a new set of attitudes â?? because one of the most durable and destructive legacies of discrimination is the way that we have internalized a sense of limitation; how so many in our community have come to expect so little of ourselves.”

Speaking of African American children he said this: “They might think they’ve got a pretty good jump shot or a pretty good flow, but our kids can’t all aspire to be the next LeBron or Lil Wayne. I want them aspiring to be scientists and engineers, doctors and teachers, not just ballers and rappers. I want them aspiring to be a Supreme Court justice. I want them aspiring to be president of the United States.”

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theworldnewser/2009/07/obama-our-kids-cant-all-aspire-to-be-the-next-lebron-or-lil-wayne.html

By the way, on a seperate note, having a young black president after years of old white guys is awesome.

“They might think they got a pretty good flow” - could never imagine George II saying that one.[/quote]

I hope you like this “young black” president…

Because his policies will make sure we never elect another…sad but true.

[quote]denv23 wrote:
Did he mention the part where his parties social programs were the predominant cause of the destruction of the black family to begin with? No? Didn’t think so.[/quote]

No one wants to admit that…
The Dem’s have kept blacks poor to make sure they get the black vote…and of course added latinos to the mix.

It realy is a sort of genocide.

[quote]Valor wrote:
denv23 wrote:
Did he mention the part where his parties social programs were the predominant cause of the destruction of the black family to begin with? No? Didn’t think so.

The Dem’s have kept blacks poor to make sure they get the black vote…and of course added latinos to the mix.

It realy is a sort of genocide.[/quote]

Genocide…such a strong word…a strong, inaccurate word.

What a fucking idiot. Black kids lag behind, so it must be discrimination. Anyone who thinks like that deserves to lag behind.

[quote]Valor wrote:
[/quote]

The only time that the wealth gap began closing between blacks and whites was during the years of LBJ’s Great Society program.

Say what you want, but they are not keeping blacks poor. It’s a ridiculous and inaccurate statement.