Obama Cancels Net Neutrality

http://act.boldprogressives.org/sign/sign_netneutrality_3things/?akid=3035.102964.K9DuHh&rd=1&source=e1-nonetflix&t=3

Gold star!

ok dumb question, what does this mean?

[quote]HERC410 wrote:
ok dumb question, what does this mean?[/quote]

"1: Corporate censorship is allowed on your phone

The rules passed today by Obama FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski absurdly create different corporate censorship rules for wired and wireless Internet, allowing big corporations like Comcast to block websites they don’t like on your phone – a clear failure to fulfill Net Neutrality and put you, the consumer, in control of what you can and can’t do online.2
2: Online tollbooths are allowed, destroying innovation

The rules passed today would allow big Internet Service Providers like Verizon and Comcast to charge for access to the “fast lane.” Big companies that could afford to pay these fees like Google or Amazon would get their websites delivered to consumers quickly, while independent newspapers, bloggers, innovators, and small businesses would see their sites languish in the slow lane, destroying a level playing field for competition online and clearly violating Net Neutrality.3
3: The rules allow corporations to create “public” and “private” Internets, destroying the one Internet as we know it

For the first time, these rules would embrace a “public Internet” for regular people vs. a “private Internet” with all the new innovations for corporations who pay more – ending the Internet as we know it and creating tiers of free speech and innovation, accessible only if you have pockets deep enough to pay off the corporations.4"

According to the link.

Dont care…I only use my phone for nasty dirty texts

The whole idea behind the phone thing is because the networks are still waaaaay to fragile to withstand the strain users are putting on it. Wireless tech in America kinda sucks balls, and the amount of traffic that all these new smartphones are making is going to bring down the wireless network. Thats why it’s expensive for internet access on your phone, almost strictly because it needs to be cost prohibitive. This ruling is not a problem, so long as the rules are changed 5 or so years down the road.

Also, that toll booth part is false, the ruling prohibits traffic management, other than what is needed to maintain the network.

Dumb ass.

So um… there really is gonna be “Internets”?

[quote]HERC410 wrote:

The official document has not been released yet meaning much of the link in the OP is speculation at best by an obviously heavily biased source. There is concern here, but the truth doesn’t seem to be in that original post.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]HERC410 wrote:

The official document has not been released yet meaning much of the link in the OP is speculation at best by an obviously heavily biased source. There is concern here, but the truth doesn’t seem to be in that original post.[/quote]

I posted this from an iPod Touch, and apparently the post title and it’s content didn’t make it through.

It was originally “Obama Cancels Net Neutrality Promise?,” with the text previous to ‘gold star’ being along the lines of “there is no link to the actual ruling, but there are bits and pieces of conversation, with a fuck-ton of innuendo. Is there an actual copy of the FCC text that’s available?” Or something to that effect.

As was stated previously, some would appear to be addressing the network capabilities being stressed by the new tech. Aside from the link to CNN the Prof posted, I haven’t been able to find anything else pertaining to the subject.

Here you go http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-10-201A1.pdf
I think thats the whole thing, the FCC is slightly confusing about how it does things.

Side note, I read some where that 1 of the 3 commissioners only voted in like half concurrence meaning these rules could mean nothing at all.