Obama Backs WTC Mosque

Well fucking balls. I’ve got room in my backyard if maybe we can sponsor some jihadists camps. I’d like to drop an atlas stone on that fucker.

Seems reasonable to me

If people really support the Constitution, they can’t just support it only when it suits their purposes, and then ignore it when it doesn’t. All this stuff lately about defending the Constitution is just lip service - the Constitution is quickly forgotten when it becomes inconvenient.

The site where they want to build this is formerly a Burlington Coat Factory, two blocks away from Ground Zero. So who gives a fuck? Build whatever you want. Most of the people who are against building it just hate Muslims, plain and simple, and the rest are just misinformed by the haters.

The Constitution trumps their hatred of Muslims. Period.

Given the high percentage of Americans against the idea, I expect Obama’s polling will dive further on this announcement.

Moreover, the Constitution is not at issue. The issue is whether a mosque should be built on Ground Zero, not whether it can.

If this were any other issue Obama would have taken the decision based on votes and politics, but since it’s a topic close to his heart it seems he’s sticking to his principles…

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
Given the high percentage of Americans against the idea, I expect Obama’s polling will dive further on this announcement.
[/quote]

I understand that he was raised a muslim, so this makes sense. While he may not be politically adept, he is sticking with his core beliefs. He is a true political idiolouge. It’s just a shame that he is pointed in the exact opposite direction of where we need to go. As for the good news, if he continues to show America who he really is there will be a republican house and senate this November, and that will be the end of his out of control far left agenda.

Wait…wouldn’t “political correctness” be NOT letting them build the mosque? Not defending anyone here, but I think they have it backwards, if you think about it. Political correctness would be them NOT building it, because of the offense it causes many people because of its associations. Politics are so damn backwards and clusterfucked.

“Muslims have the same right to practice their religion as anyone else in this country.”

“That includes the right to build a place of worship and a community center on private property in lower Manhattan, in accordance with local laws and ordinances,” Obama said.

Personally, I don’t want to see the mosque go in, but Obama is right on this one. I wouldn’t want to see a Baptist church built on land that was a bombed abortion clinic, either, but that doesn’t mean there is legal ground to stop it from happening.

The mosque is not going in on the Ground Zero site. It’s several blocks away on private property.

…isn’t this “mosque” a community center and actually 2 blocks away from ground zero?

I posted this on the other thread. It’s an opinion piece. The bolded stuff is interesting.

"Simply put, Islamophobia has become ridiculously out of hand. For those who argue that mosques are somehow inherently breeding grounds for extremism, a two-year joint study by Duke University’s Sanford School of Public Policy and the University of North Carolina concluded that American “mosques are actually a deterrent to the spread of militant Islam and terrorism.” [I would like to see this study]

"The professors in the joint study further highlighted that “many mosque leaders had put significant effort into countering extremism by building youth programs, sponsoring anti-violence forums and scrutinizing teachers and texts.” [They are even scrutinizing texts, THIS IS GOOD]

"During an emotionally stirring and teary-eyed press conference on the mosque, Bloomberg said: “Whatever you may think of the proposed mosque and community center, lost in the heat of the debate has been a basic question – should government attempt to deny private citizens the right to build a house of worship on private property based on their particular religion?”

“First of all, the Manhattan building in question already includes a prayer space for Muslims. That building is what they will actually tear down in order to build a larger $100 million community center for New Yorkers of all religions; where there will be bookstores, restaurants, art galleries and yes, even a Muslim prayer room.” [For this reason alone, I say BUILD THE MOSQUE]

"In a recent Newsweek column that he wrote on the matter, “Build the Ground Zero Mosque,” Zakaria stated, “If there is going to be a reformist movement in Islam, it is going to emerge from places like the proposed institute. We should be encouraging groups like the one behind this project, not demonizing them. Were this mosque being built in a foreign city, chances are that the U.S. government would be funding it.”

[quote]hungry4more wrote:

Wait…wouldn’t “political correctness” be NOT letting them build the mosque? Not defending anyone here, but I think they have it backwards, if you think about it. Political correctness would be them NOT building it, because of the offense it causes many people because of its associations. Politics are so damn backwards and clusterfucked. [/quote]

Correct. I agree with your statement.

I don’t want to see the Mosque built there, either, but unless there has been legal precent for a proposal such as this to be denied on the basis of “poor taste,” I don’t see how the proposal can be legally denied.

But I want to know if the Muslims would be offended if a bunch of Italians opened up a pork butcher shop right next door.

[quote]K2000 wrote:
If people really support the Constitution, they can’t just support it only when it suits their purposes, and then ignore it when it doesn’t. All this stuff lately about defending the Constitution is just lip service - the Constitution is quickly forgotten when it becomes inconvenient.

The site where they want to build this is formerly a Burlington Coat Factory, two blocks away from Ground Zero. So who gives a fuck? Build whatever you want. Most of the people who are against building it just hate Muslims, plain and simple, and the rest are just misinformed by the haters.

The Constitution trumps their hatred of Muslims. Period.[/quote]

When the Framers of the constitution wrote about freedom of Religion they were only speaking of the Christian Religion that does not condone Homosexual Marriage

Way Way off there buddy, learn a little more about some of the framers.

[quote]ephrem wrote:
…isn’t this “mosque” a community center and actually 2 blocks away from ground zero?[/quote]

Actually Ephrem the mosque is part of what is supposed to to be a “community center”. What is odd about it, is that part of New York is primarily a commercial district where there are no communities to serve, muslim or otherwise. In fact to find the muslim community you have to go all the way across town to Brooklyn. To get to it from Brooklyn will quite a journey that would take a lot of time and you would have to go past several large mosques along the way.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
But I want to know if the Muslims would be offended if a bunch of Italians opened up a pork butcher shop right next door.[/quote]

I’d like to see that.

The point is that it was a dick move to even open his fucking mouth on the matter. This should be up to NY and the specific people involved, if you want to take the freedom of religion approach. Where was Obama and the press conferences when they were covering up crosses in remote areas of the desert?

[quote]biglifter wrote:
The point is that it was a dick move to even open his fucking mouth on the matter. This should be up to NY and the specific people involved, if you want to take the freedom of religion approach. Where was Obama and the press conferences when they were covering up crosses in remote areas of the desert?[/quote]

Actually it makes sense that Obama would get involved because the imam building the mosque has ties to some of the radicals in Obama’s circle. Glenn Beck breaks it down here.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
Moreover, the Constitution is not at issue. The issue is whether a mosque should be built on Ground Zero, not whether it can.[/quote]

Maybe not for you. A lot of Americans think the government should interfere and prevent this cultural center/mosque from being built. What Mc Cain/Palin would have said or done if they were in the White House is left as a thought exercise.

Who gives a fuck if they build a rec center…which is what the place IS.