Obama Administration Includes Obesity Screening

Got this too:

OBAMA ADMINISTRATION INCLUDES OBESITY SCREENING AND COUNSELING UNDER PROPOSED REGULATIONS

Cost Sharing for Preventive Services Would Be Covered Under New Affordable Care Act

On July 14, 2010, the Obama Administration and the Department of Health and Human Services released proposed regulations regarding cost sharing for preventative services covered under the new Affordable Care Act (ACA). Under the proposed regulations, new health policies beginning on or after September 23, 2010, must cover preventive services that have strong scientific evidence (“A or B” rating from the US Preventive Health Services Task Force) of their health benefits and will be prohibited from charging a patient a copayment, co-insurance or deductible for these services when they are delivered by a network provider.

The list of services specifically includes:

* Obesity screening and counseling for all adults
* Obesity screening and counseling for children over the age of six

The Obesity Society (TOS) believes that this is a major first step in opening the door to coverage of comprehensive obesity treatment services. For the first time, many Americans will have the ability to have a conversation with their healthcare provider about their weight, receive counseling and it would be a covered visit. TOS will be providing formal comments on the proposed regulations later this month.

When the patient get’s fat and old you are going to pay for his diabetes problems , heart problems as well as his orthopedic problems as well. Even with out Obamacare .

Doesn’t it make sense to spend pennies today rather than spend thousands of dollars , maybe hundreds of thousands , tomorrow ?

What does Obesity Screening involve, exactly?

Stepping on a scale, measuring height and waist/hip, looking at a chart, and relaying to the patient the charts’ verdict? Then give warnings and advise like – more more and eat less?

Shouldn’t every doctor (even the fat ones) be doing this anyway? How much in taxpayers money will feed this service and do we have the money now or will it be borrowed?

And, the million dollar question…Will it be effective in reducing obesity in the nation?

I don’t think IDENTIFYING obesity with screening is much of a challenge. Obesity is generally easy to recognize and self-evident. REDUCING the obvious obesity is bigger challenge. What’s in Obamas Plan for that? (It’s a genuine question, I’m not trying to be a smarty pants)

EDIT - I just re-read the original post which says this is just for preventative services. Then, pre-existing obesity is SOL? This is going to be fun. When do the tax dollars start to flow out to providers?

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
When the patient get’s fat and old you are going to pay for his diabetes problems , heart problems as well as his orthopedic problems as well. Even with out Obamacare .

Doesn’t it make sense to spend pennies today rather than spend thousands of dollars , maybe hundreds of thousands , tomorrow ?

[/quote]

No, it makes sense to destroy a system that holds you responsible for someones elses idiocy.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[/quote]

No, it makes sense to destroy a system that holds you responsible for someones elses idiocy.

[/quote]

Welcome to reality, it is fucked up , but it has been that way since I can remember . Paying for other peoples fuck ups is the way it is . Look at auto Ins. Look if you don’t have it.

How is it possible to live with out paying for other people’s fuck ups

[quote]Sweet Revenge wrote:

Stepping on a scale, measuring height and waist/hip, looking at a chart, and relaying to the patient the charts’ verdict? Then give warnings and advise like – more more and eat less?

Shouldn’t every doctor (even the fat ones) be doing this anyway? How much in taxpayers money will feed this service and do we have the money now or will it be borrowed?

And, the million dollar question…Will it be effective in reducing obesity in the nation?

I don’t think IDENTIFYING obesity with screening is much of a challenge. Obesity is generally easy to recognize and self-evident. REDUCING the obvious obesity is bigger challenge. What’s in Obamas Plan for that? (It’s a genuine question, I’m not trying to be a smarty pants)

EDIT - I just re-read the original post which says this is just for preventative services. Then, pre-existing obesity is SOL? This is going to be fun. When do the tax dollars start to flow out to providers?[/quote]

I hope it includes BMI so we can all be considered morbidly obese.

[quote]biglifter wrote:

[quote]Sweet Revenge wrote:

EDIT - I just re-read the original post which says this is just for preventative services. Then, pre-existing obesity is SOL? This is going to be fun. When do the tax dollars start to flow out to providers?[/quote]

I hope it includes BMI so we can all be considered morbidly obese.[/quote]

We don’t use BMI in clinical settings and for sedentary people.

It IS useful for clinical settings and ordinary people. When I see a resident’s/patient’s chart and calculate BMI before seeing them, you can bet your bottom dollar that it’s a good indication of overweight or obesity (> 24).

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]
Amen…