Oats Instead of Brown Rice?

Hey guys haven’t been on here for a while but great to be back. Im bulkin right now and ive always seemed to have a problem with rice in general whether brown or white, long grain or short it just makes me bloat like no other even though its “complex.” my question is would it be okay to consume oates as a primary carb source instead of rice? I know it has a lower GI and very good for you (i eat it for breakfast) but im thinkin of eating it for every meal i have carbs in. I dont see why not but i wanted to run it by you guys first

diet and everything is in check…sodium intake is very low. extremely clean bulk…no cheats yet rice f*cks me over

Nothing wrong with eating a good amount of oats. Another good option is sweet potato

Why only those two choices?

Pasta, sweet potatos, white potatos, sprouted grain bread, beans etc. Why eat oats at every meal?

[quote]Scott M wrote:
Nothing wrong with eating a good amount of oats. Another good option is sweet potato[/quote]

I have been meaning to try those so i will do so the next time i go to the store. And thanks for the info, yeah since steel cut oates its only 1/4 cup serving i could have a large amount and still be fine.

[quote]SkyNett wrote:

Pasta, sweet potatos, white potatos, sprouted grain bread, beans etc. Why eat oats at every meal? [/quote]

im pretty carb sensitive to high gi complex carbs hence the rice probem so oates seem to do the best but i definitely give the others a try.

[quote]baseballstud2010 wrote:

[quote]SkyNett wrote:

Pasta, sweet potatos, white potatos, sprouted grain bread, beans etc. Why eat oats at every meal? [/quote]

im pretty carb sensitive to high gi complex carbs hence the rice probem so oates seem to do the best but i definitely give the others a try.[/quote]

Meaning you have an actual allergy or just feel that high GI carbs make you gain fat easily?

Because any high GI carbs should be consumed right around your training (and 1st thing in the morning) - after that I’d go with slower burning stuff like sweet potatos and oats.

But yea, you know how you respond better than anyone obviously, but there are some other low GI sources you could mix in for variety.

[quote]SkyNett wrote:

[quote]SkyNett wrote:

im pretty carb sensitive to high gi complex carbs hence the rice probem so oates seem to do the best but i definitely give the others a try.[/quote]

Meaning you have an actual allergy or just feel that high GI carbs make you gain fat easily?

Because any high GI carbs should be consumed right around your training (and 1st thing in the morning) - after that I’d go with slower burning stuff like sweet potatos and oats.

But yea, you know how you respond better than anyone obviously, but there are some other low GI sources you could mix in for variety. [/quote]

ya your spot on man no worries. I just feel for my body type ANY type of rice is more of a high gi carb so when i eat it any other time besides before or after a workout, its easy to gain fat. So sweet potatoes and oates are a much better choice for me than someone with a super fast metabolism.

Hey man, I have oats with all 8 of my meals, anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 cup at a time and have no issues. Works just fine for me.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
Hey man, I have oats with all 8 of my meals, anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 cup at a time and have no issues. Works just fine for me.[/quote]

thanks bro for the info. Is that your only carb source and do you eat rice at all?

My last contest prep, except for my FINiBARs and veggies, used only oats as a carb source. I had started out with Ezekial bread for a few meals the beginning, but the oats were just more filling as I went along. Besides, you can always add stuff to them depending on the macros you need for that particular feeding (PB, Metabolic Drive, fruit…)

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
My last contest prep, except for my FINiBARs and veggies, used only oats as a carb source. I had started out with Ezekial bread for a few meals the beginning, but the oats were just more filling as I went along. Besides, you can always add stuff to them depending on the macros you need for that particular feeding (PB, Metabolic Drive, fruit…)

S[/quote]

awesome thanks for the info. I am bulking right now so i have to eat alot of it…the kind i have also packs 7g protein per 1/4 cup. Bobs steel cut to be exact. So it really helps out with getting more protein in my diet as well.

I just feel brown rice and other rices feel so “empty” if you know wut i mean. I find myself ridiculously hungry only 30-45min later, which for a complex carb is ridiculous in my opinion.

Hey man, I have oats with all 8 of my meals, anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 cup at a time and have no issues. Works just fine for me.[/quote]

thanks bro for the info. Is that your only carb source and do you eat rice at all?[/quote]

Yup, oats are my only carb source. Even my preworkout mix gets it’s carbs from powdered oats haha.

And no, fuck rice! Way to hard to eat without smothering it in sauce of some sort and a pain in the ass to cook. I can eat oatmeal all day as long as I have splenda and some cinnamon.

thanks bro for the info. Is that your only carb source and do you eat rice at all?[/quote]

Yup, oats are my only carb source. Even my preworkout mix gets it’s carbs from powdered oats haha.

And no, fuck rice! Way to hard to eat without smothering it in sauce of some sort and a pain in the ass to cook. I can eat oatmeal all day as long as I have splenda and some cinnamon.[/quote]

ahah thanks bro i knew i couldnt be the only one who hates rice both taste and the ineffectiveness it does for my body. But yeah oates are the shit.

Do you feel rice is not as an effective carb as oates as well? I just think it leaves me feeling hungry and more isulin spike and its a bitch to cook all day

There is slightly higher protein/fat/fiber and likely water content in the oats versus and equal amount of carbohydrates from rice so it’s no surprise you are satiated better from the oatmeal.

Keeping it simple is fine but there’s no need to pick an exclusive source if you don’t have to…

Sweet potato
Quinoa
Ezekial breads and or cereals
Twinkies
Some fruit
Beans/Lentils

all will be fine for you most likely. OK maybe not Twinkies, we weren’t “meant” to eat that one.

[quote]Scott M wrote:
OK maybe not Twinkies, we weren’t “meant” to eat that one. [/quote]

ZING! Lol… ; )

[quote]Scott M wrote:
There is slightly higher protein/fat/fiber and likely water content in the oats versus and equal amount of carbohydrates from rice so it’s no surprise you are satiated better from the oatmeal.

Keeping it simple is fine but there’s no need to pick an exclusive source if you don’t have to…

Sweet potato
Quinoa
Ezekial breads and or cereals
Twinkies
Some fruit
Beans/Lentils

all will be fine for you most likely. OK maybe not Twinkies, we weren’t “meant” to eat that one. [/quote]

ahaha thanks for the info bro, i definitely want to give the ezekial bread and sweet potatoes run just if i get board with oates. Mostly ezekial bread because i need a good carb source to eat with my tuna…a damn healthy tuna sandwich lol.

Rice feels like it swells up in my stomach too. Not even a blood sugar issue, just plain ol’ feel like I’m going to pop.

[quote]EasyRhino wrote:
Rice feels like it swells up in my stomach too. Not even a blood sugar issue, just plain ol’ feel like I’m going to pop.[/quote]

That’s also how i feel. About to pop, and then im hungry 30min later. Screw it, much better day today with only oates as a carb source.

I have been thinking about eating more oats recently, for me its hard to get past seeing them as simply something I would eat at breakfast, or put in a shake.

Curious to see how they would go with something like chicken, I suppose the flavour combinations are endless.

Im off to make some oats!

[quote]feedme wrote:
I have been thinking about eating more oats recently, for me its hard to get past seeing them as simply something I would eat at breakfast, or put in a shake.

Curious to see how they would go with something like chicken, I suppose the flavour combinations are endless.

Im off to make some oats![/quote]

yeah its easy but BEWARE…it oates have a shit load of fiber so im considering cutting back since ive been getting diarrhea from it and bowl movements are way to frequent.