Oats: How Much is too Much?

I usually have a cup and half of old fashioned quaker oats every morning for breakfast, with a banana an apple and some natty pb. Along with this I eat 3 or 4 scrambled eggs. Would it be excessive if I were to have another cup of oats later in the day, bringing my total for the day to about 2 and 1/2 cups.

do you believe another cup of oats will help you toward your goal? if so, do it. if not, dont.

It’s impossible to give useful feedback without knowing your diet throughout the rest of the day, your current specs, and your goals.

this is random but…
bananas have a really high GI, seeing as how they turn to sugar insanely fast. i would only eat them after workouts since you don’t want unnecessary spiked blood sugar/insulin levels. also they count for a large number of carbohydrates, 1 banana is around 25 grams of carbs.

I’m 5’9, 145lbs, I finally realized that I needed to eat more, alot more, to gain weight and hopefully gain some size and strength. I’m trying to gain with as little fat gain as possible but I’m more concerned with gaining weight right now than I am with remaining lean.

I try to limit my carbs throughout the day other than at breakfast and post workout.

Lately I’ve used fitday to track my calories, over the past 3 weeks or so I’ve been taking in around 3000 calories a day. Usually around 300 grams of protein, around 200 carbs, and around 100 grams of fat.

I would say that 90% of my meals are clean. I’m mainly curious as to whether or not the extra 100 grams of carbs is gonna help or hurt my goals.

2 cups uncooked? Thats alot of oats for one meal however, if thats what you want to eat, thats fine. As long as your getting 1g of protien per lb bodyweight and eating at least 18xBW in calories, you should be alright. Oats are my favorite source of complex carbs. They do wonders pre-workout.

holy crap guys just eat big and lift. I didn’t start growing until i started eating dirtier.

and yes my abs are still visible.

you are 5"9 145lbs. just eat the damn oats and bananas.

I used to be your size and eat just like you and wonder why i wasn’t growing.

now i am packing back 5000ish cals a day, sitting at 190. if you are ecto dont worry about carbs buddy, just eat eat eat

Unfortunately I’m not an ecto as of 2 years ago I weighed 195lbs, I was fat as hell. Over the past 2 years I’ve used cardio, weight training, and busted my ass to get to my current weight. Its tough to eat like I have been over the past couple weeks and not feel like I’m eating my way back to my old weight.

Does it make a difference how I go about eating considering I use to be very overweight and unhealthy?

I also was a fat slob and I recently started to guage how many carbs I can eat without gaining fat and now im up to about 210 grams a day all from oats and whole wheat wraps and fruits. I dont count vegetables. I add more each week see how it works. I got a friend who has been bulking and eats 10+ cups of oats a day plus 8+ cups of brown rice I shit you not ive seen it, its inhuman.

[quote]schultzie wrote:
holy crap guys just eat big and lift. I didn’t start growing until i started eating dirtier.

and yes my abs are still visible.

you are 5"9 145lbs. just eat the damn oats and bananas.

I used to be your size and eat just like you and wonder why i wasn’t growing.

now i am packing back 5000ish cals a day, sitting at 190. if you are ecto dont worry about carbs buddy, just eat eat eat[/quote]

lol you almost make it sound like oats and bananas are eating dirty.

[quote]Hartache wrote:
this is random but…
bananas have a really high GI, seeing as how they turn to sugar insanely fast. i would only eat them after workouts since you don’t want unnecessary spiked blood sugar/insulin levels. also they count for a large number of carbohydrates, 1 banana is around 25 grams of carbs.
[/quote]

Yes, 25 grams of carbs, that should be like what…1/2 of your carbs for the day? Wouldn’t want to gain weight, would we?

high GI means nothing in mixed meals.

I find that FFBs usually have a difficult time understanding that once you’re training with any intensity and regularity, that you NEED to eat more. If you’re eating 4 eggs for breakfast as your only protein source, it’s only gonna come out to about 24g, which is nowhere what you should be getting.

Without even hearing the rest, I guarentee your diet is so off base you’ll get ripped to shreds posting it up here. While I respect that you lost fat to get down to your current stats, I’m 5’9, and weighed 150 lbs before I started training (and I looked like shit). You’re doing something wrong my friend.

If you’re so concerned about carbs, and getting fat again, try to get all your daily carbs (except PWO) from oatmeal and green veggies.

S