Oatmeal

Do you really need to cook this stuff?

Lately I have just been adding a tsp of peanut butter and a serving of Low-Carb Grow! to a 1/3 cup of dry rolled oats, then pour in some cold water and eat it.

Most people cook it because it’s easier to eat, and is the “normal” way to eat it, but I don’t know of any reason why it needs to be cooked.

I commonly eat it dry as part of a home-made granola type mix, and I’ve never heard of any problems with it.

I don’t cook mine, all i get is people asking why I’m eating horse food.

[quote]magnetnerd wrote:
I don’t cook mine, all i get is people asking why I’m eating horse food.[/quote]

Thank God I am not the only one who does this. I thought I was sick or something for eating raw oatmeal. My roomate told me I needed help for engaging in such a bizarre activity…

Horse food - hehe

I am wondering if it is more calorie dense eating this way. 1/3 dry is probably more like 1/2 cooked?

[quote]iluminatae wrote:
Horse food - hehe

I am wondering if it is more calorie dense eating this way. 1/3 dry is probably more like 1/2 cooked?

[/quote]
The nutritional facts on oatmeal measure in uncooked volume. 1/2 cup uncooked is one serving.

I just mix it in my shake and go. When I use to work outside, I would take the little bags of flavored oatmeal (before I knew better), tear the pack, pour it in my mouth and wash it down with water. My fellow workers thought I was crazy, but they also envied my body. (he,he,he)

I’ve been doing this for a while now and really like it :slight_smile: I usually take Quaker’s Old Fashioned Oatmeal, put some protein powder in it and use a hand blender.

Works great for me.

G

I always cook it. Maybe it’s ok to eat it raw when you only have 1/2 a cup to eat. But some days I eat 2C (measured uncooked) in one sitting w/ 3 scoops of protein powder.

I routinely eat oatmeal uncooked but I take a swig of Low-Carb Chocolate Grow! with every bite. It prevents that cottonmouth feel and provides a hint of sweetness. It almost makes me feel like I cheating on my diet because it tastes so good.

I also eat uncooked oatmeal mixed with protein powder. Anyone know if the GI ratings differ between cooked and uncooked? I would guess that uncooked is harder to digest and has a lower GI…

I add uncooked oatmeal to my protein shakes as well. I also add some olive oil to finish it off as a meal replacement.

I eat uncooked if you’re talking pressed oats.

You definitely need to cook steel-cut oats. Those little puppies are hard.

I’m talking about the rolled oats you can buy in bulk from the grocery store, not the stuff you buy from “Harry’s Feed and Tackle”

My favorite way to eat this stuff is

1/3 - 2/3 plain rolled oats
1-2 scoops of Low-Carb Grow! - vanilla
1 - 2 tsp of “natural” peanut butter
1 banana chopped up

add about a cup or two cups of water and chow down. It tastes great and is really quick to make.

I mix two cups dry oats, 18 eggs, and some super seed for a pretty solid omelet. The oats absorb the egg and it sorta becomes a big pancake.

[quote]iluminatae wrote:

1 banana chopped up

add about a cup or two cups of water and chow down. It tastes great and is really quick to make.[/quote]

Mine too! I love peanut butter and banana! I hate when we don’t have bananas around the house.

Someone asked about the difference in GI values of raw oatmeal vs cooked oatmeal. To be honest, I’ve looked around for the info in the past and got conflicting results. However, all said and done, the difference will be insignificant given that oatmeal are starchy carbs.

G

[quote]Chief wrote:
iluminatae wrote:

1 banana chopped up

add about a cup or two cups of water and chow down. It tastes great and is really quick to make.

Mine too! I love peanut butter and banana! I hate when we don’t have bananas around the house.
[/quote]

[quote]vasudeva wrote:
I mix two cups dry oats, 18 eggs, and some super seed for a pretty solid omelet. The oats absorb the egg and it sorta becomes a big pancake.[/quote]

HUH? 18 whole eggs? in one sitting? I boil 3 eggs and that’s all I can take. For that much weight, only 6g of protein out of each egg…

I’m also pretty fuck’n amazed anyone could knock back 18 eggs at once. I can eat 6-8.
Your farts must stink to high heaven too!

Off season I cook my oatmeal, then pour full cream milk on it, cut up a banana, and even sometimes sprinkle sugar on top. Yum. My grannie always mixed honey in for me when I was a youngster, that tastes awesome too.
(not to be recommended for dieting though).

It consists of 3 yolks and 18 egg whites (shoulda been more specific). I can get 18 eggs for 92 cents or so, so it makes for a cheap meal.

And yeah, my farts are something to experience.