Oatmeal?

What happened to oatmeal? Used to be around here it was an everyday gotta have, now I see editors who “don’t want my name associated with oatmeal”, did I miss something?

Its been shown to be one of the most allergenic foods. If you tolerate it well then you shouldn’t have any problems.

I eat it 6-7x a week, great stuff as my breakfast/pwo meal.

I could never give up my old fashion oats, oatmeal is like a superfood and is awesome.

Oatmeal will kick your ass. One of the best foods out there if you ask me, as long as you tolerate it of course.

Sorry I can’t talk with my mouth full of OATS

I love oatmeal, 1/2 Cup with a scoop of protein powder and some fresh fruit every morning. That, along with 2/3 Cup of eggwhites with some peppers, mushrooms, salsa, and a slice of fat free american cheese. Lastly, some fat free milk to wash it down.

I usually it eat PWO myself.

Poliquin wrote an article where he said it was allergenic and then Thibs seem to get on board with it.

Granted, I dont monitor 100’s of clients, but I’ve never seen anyone have an allergic reaction to oatmeal. Maybe its all going on “behind the scenes” though.

I would definitely like more info on it if its something we should be concerned about… Until then I’ll keep eating it.

I eat oats almost everyday. Weekends I make oatmeal pancakes for breakfast, because I need a break from eggs and omelets!

I don’t recall the exact nature of the conversation or what was said, but I recall Thibs or someone else discussing how a full-blown allergic reaction isn’t a necessary response for someone to be affected by a mild food allergy. It would be nice if there was more info on this.

I eat oatmeal every morning and don’t think I have any problems with it, but who knows.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
Granted, I dont monitor 100’s of clients, but I’ve never seen anyone have an allergic reaction to oatmeal. Maybe its all going on “behind the scenes” though.
[/quote]

Intolerances don’t have to result in all out allergic reactions. They can start out as something like mild GI irritability and grow from there.

I love oatmeal because it keeps me regular and it’s slow absorbing. Opposed to chitter cheese and egg sandwiches which cause distressing results. Oatmeal also has a nice blend of aminos, in case ya didn’t know.

I feel bad for those who are allergic to oats, i eat a ton of them. 1.5-2 cups after my workout 6x a week.

I dont see a prob with them if eaten one time a day. Maybe could get some sort of intolerance if consumed multiple times a day for an extended period of time.

Who knows though, i cant wait till morning and eat em up again lol

After increasing the quantities a few times, I’m currently eating the following every day for breakfast, all mixed in one bowl and microwaved for 3 minutes:

200g old-fashioned rolled oats
100g frozen blueberries
45g Grow! Whey powder
515g dihydrogen monoxide

This all tastes good enough that I can down it in 10-15 minutes without paying any attention to the food at all while I check my email in the morning. I add a banana to take it over 1000 calories… tasty.

I gave up the oats for month. I used to eat 1 cup every day for breakfast with fibre, wheat germ, psylium husks, honey and flax seeds on top with about 600ml of milk.

I stopped because it was suggested to me that the rolled oats would be hurting my desire to reduce my gut. I just can’t seem to to drop that last bit of gut (measured 39" at 6’2" tall and weigh 200lbs) Would like to lose an 1" at least. Been trying for ages.

However, I train nearly every day and I get sooo hungry, it’s difficult to increase overall size and not get a gut too.

[quote]CthruPants wrote:
Lonnie123 wrote:

Intolerances don’t have to result in all out allergic reactions. They can start out as something like mild GI irritability and grow from there.[/quote]

Which is why I said it might all be going on “behind the scenes”… As in you might be getting a reaction, but not really know it.

In any event, I’ve NEVER heard of an oatmeal allergy before Poliquin brought it up a few months back. Considering the sheer amount of warnings things have to have listed on them when they contain foods with allergies, oatmeal seems like it would need the same kind of treatment.

Another thing I heard brought up is that oatmeal may be contaminated by wheat. I don’t know if that would affect what Poliquin found.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:

In any event, I’ve NEVER heard of an oatmeal allergy before Poliquin brought it up a few months back. Considering the sheer amount of warnings things have to have listed on them when they contain foods with allergies, oatmeal seems like it would need the same kind of treatment.[/quote]

This is true. Perhaps we’ll start seeing more labels saying that a product has been made in a facility that also processes wheat.